Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it disrespectful to treat retail jobs like doing a bit of charity? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I see working in retail as a way of enjoying customer service. I choose to do it in parts of my week that I dont have anything worthwhile to do (such as weekends).

It is not a job I want to do full-time, yet I fel though I am contributing to society by coming into a supermarket and helping customers with their shopping experience.

I guess the feeling must be similar to working a few hours each week in a charity shop on the high street to help out. :shrug:

But my manager thinks I am arrogant and that my heart isn't into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I see working in retail as a way of enjoying customer service. I choose to do it in parts of my week that I dont have anything worthwhile to do (such as weekends).

It is not a job I want to do full-time, yet I fel though I am contributing to society by coming into a supermarket and helping customers with their shopping experience.

I guess the feeling must be similar to working a few hours each week in a charity shop on the high street to help out. :shrug:

But my manager thinks I am arrogant and that my heart isn't into it.
    I worked for asda, and I couldn't stand the thought of working to make some fat american rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    Obviously your heart isn't into it. What kind of ponce enjoys retail?
    My manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    My manager.
    Tell him if he wants to find someone who enjoys retail he might as well go look for the holy grail.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you were in his shoes would you prefer employing someone who needed the job and took it seriously or someone who acted like they were doing you a favour by turning up?

IMO possibly it's a bit of a menial job for you... so look for another job while doing this one, but take the job you've got seriously in the mean time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    I worked for asda, and I couldn't stand the thought of working to make some fat american rich.
    I don't think any of the Waltons are particularly overweight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Well if you were in his shoes would you prefer employing someone who needed the job and took it seriously or someone who acted like they were doing you a favour by turning up?

IMO possibly it's a bit of a menial job for you... so look for another job while doing this one, but take the job you've got seriously in the mean time
    I agree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.