Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All
    Attached below is a question from OCR's A2 (new spec) specimen paper. I've attached the question and my current workings. I can't get to their answer whatsoever, I'm way out in terms of order of magnitude, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    James
    Attachment 609244
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483806933.495105.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  57.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    attachment failed.

presuming you're after the work done getting between two altitudes

Id work out the potential energy at both altitudes and the difference is the work done in getting between them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james0902)
    Hi All
    Attached below is a question from OCR's A2 (new spec) specimen paper. I've attached the question and my current workings. I can't get to their answer whatsoever, I'm way out in terms of order of magnitude, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    James

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which paper is it exactly? Could you post a link to the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Hi All
    Thanks
    James
    Attachment 609244
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483806933.495105.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  57.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You cannot can simply use Force times distance travelled parallel to the direction of the force. Because gravitational force is not constant and you cannot find the so called average force without using calculus.

Try the method proposed by joinedup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    You cannot can simply use Force times distance travelled parallel to the direction of the force. Because gravitational force is not constant and you cannot find the so called average force without using calculus.

Try the method proposed by joinedup.
    How would you go about working out the potential energies at these altitudes though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would you go about working out the potential energies at these altitudes though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Potential energy for the system is -GMm/r, where r is the sum of earth radius and altitude.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Potential energy for the system is -GMm/r, where r is the sum of earth radius and altitude.
    It's given in the new OCR data & formula sheet (I checked earlier)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/302734-...ps-booklet.pdf

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may also want to post the question as well, just in case I misinterpret what is required.

ReputationRep:
    You may also want to post the question as well, just in case I misinterpret what is required.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483875668.552120.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  114.4 KB

That's the question, has it posted this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483875668.552120.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  114.4 KB

That's the question, has it posted this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is posted this time. I think the power of 10 in the choices are not given in the correct power - the correct power should be  10^9 .

Check with your school teacher to see if they have the updated or corrected version.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.