Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a vegan anything.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    yes
    I don't think she is. class or money has no correlation with veganism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    :rofl:
    I hope that answered your question
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student004)
    Usually 0.
    Usually 0. I only tell someone if its necessary like when I eat with someone and if they offer me food or if they ask me.
    one more thing, why are you of this opinion that we go around telling random people we're vegan?
    Why did you quote me 3 times? Very salty :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    what do u think of vegan gains?

ReputationRep:
    What is your favourite film?

If Steven Hawking and an RC car (controlled by 5 year old kid) got into a fight, who you bet money on?

Which finger is your favourite?

Which three colouring pens do you generally use most when colouring?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    aren't humans meant to be omnivores, not herbivores
    Who or what "means" us to do anything?

ReputationRep:
    Well do we have long sharp teeth or long claws that carnivores and omnivores have? why do humans have intestinal track which is 10-12 the length of the body, whereas carnivores/omnivores have intestinal track 3 times the length of the body? Why do have salivary glands that are well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits similar to herbivores? Why is our stomach weaker than carnivores/omnivores?
    I haven't just made this is up but it is researched by biologists and anthropologists who study our anatomy and our evolutionary history.
    We don't have long, sharp teeth or claws - we have large, powerful brains that allow us to knap flint, whittle spears, coordinate hunting plans, and calculate the trajectories of thrown objects instead. We don't have a large intestinal tract or a strong stomach - again, we have large and powerful brains that are clever enough to cook food we couldn't otherwise digest well. There is a good argument for humans being naturally omnivorous animals, and it basically revolves around braininess.

All the same, just because we're evolved to eat meat doesn't mean we should. We're also brainy enough to work out when actions cause undue suffering, and avoid them. I am vegan myself, and I don't put much stock by any moral argument that extrapolates from how things are in nature. The way we live nowadays is already so incredibly unnatural in so many ways, that it seems completely irrelevant to me.

ReputationRep:
    Surely by not eating meat you're stopping some animals from existing in the first place as not as many will be bred. Surely if you love animals, then life followed by death is better than no life at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed1810)
    Surely by not eating meat you're stopping some animals from existing in the first place as not as many will be bred. Surely if you love animals, then life followed by death is better than no life at all?
    Having educated myself as to the quality of life of the average farm animal in Britain, I personally judge them to be better off never having lived.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically cows do not live in the wild in the UK so why not support small scale ethical farms by buying their milk so they can continue to stay in business?
    Industrialised farming is destroying organic farming and ethical farming because their milk is so cheap and they can't compete.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of milk substitute do you use in your tea?

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel about honey?

ReputationRep:
    What compelled you to change from being a vegetarian to a vegan?
    And why were you a vegetarian since birth?
    Do you think you're vegan because you've never actually tried meat?

How do you live without cake/ice cream/chocolate/BBQ/milkshakes/cheese/pizza/fried chicken? :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Why did you quote me 3 times? Very salty :toofunny:
    The first I probably forgot that I replied because I had to answer other peoples questions.
    It's a shame even quoting you three times you ignored what I said or did you actually understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Realistically cows do not live in the wild in the UK so why not support small scale ethical farms by buying their milk so they can continue to stay in business?
    Industrialised farming is destroying organic farming and ethical farming because their milk is so cheap and they can't compete.
    I do support the small organic farms as long as the cows do not live in captivity and they are not genetically mutated and I know realistically that is hard to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaskedLady)
    What compelled you to change from being a vegetarian to a vegan?
    And why were you a vegetarian since birth?
    Do you think you're vegan because you've never actually tried meat?

How do you live without cake/ice cream/chocolate/BBQ/milkshakes/cheese/pizza/fried chicken? :confused::confused:
    I have been a vegetarian since birth because I am a hindu so my family is largely vegetarian since birth. However, my younger brother and my dad, some of my cousins eat meat now. It has not been easy with my family at first because some of them think I'm stupid or this is pointless, despite the fact cows are sacred for Hindus. I did not become a vegan because of my religion as it is accepted to drink milk in Hinduism. I didn't know why Hindus did not eat meat until 6 months after I became a vegan. It's because Hindus are supposed to be non violent, so I think being vegan is certainly comes under that. I just felt cows were not treated well. I was never a strict Hindu and even today I don't think I am.

Being vegetarian since birth certainly makes it easier to become a vegan as I've never had meat so I don't know what it tastes like and I don't want to eat it.

No I don't think I'm vegan since I've never tried meat but because I've given up dairy last year and I have stopped using any products that are tested on animals.

So I have found substitutes for everything for everything. There are also websites that sell vegan cakes. You can also make cakes replacing egg with egg replacer and butter with some sort of dairy free butter or spread. Pizza, I do miss pizza sometimes but then again after a month or two you get used to it so when my family or friends eat pizza around me, it doesnt really affect me. There are chocolate chips that are dairy free and you can find chocolate that is dairy free.
    Ice cream, I make ice cream at home from frozen bananas and add cocoa powder/cacoa powder or frozen strawberries/berries and vanilla essence.
    I've never eaten meat in my life so I dont know about meat, but there are meat substitutes which I think taste similar. I'm not too sure about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainMakesWhisky)
    What kind of milk substitute do you use in your tea?
    I never liked tea so I never drank tea, but you can use coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk or soya milk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    How do you feel about honey?
    I don't support the production of honey because it is exploitation. There are substitutes such as agave nectar, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, coconut nectar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed1810)
    Yes but the animals are just bred to be killed so what is the point of being bred anyway, because they die anyway. Overall if you see there is no net effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    We don't have long, sharp teeth or claws - we have large, powerful brains that allow us to knap flint, whittle spears, coordinate hunting plans, and calculate the trajectories of thrown objects instead. We don't have a large intestinal tract or a strong stomach - again, we have large and powerful brains that are clever enough to cook food we couldn't otherwise digest well. There is a good argument for humans being naturally omnivorous animals, and it basically revolves around braininess.

All the same, just because we're evolved to eat meat doesn't mean we should. We're also brainy enough to work out when actions cause undue suffering, and avoid them. I am vegan myself, and I don't put much stock by any moral argument that extrapolates from how things are in nature. The way we live nowadays is already so incredibly unnatural in so many ways, that it seems completely irrelevant to me.
    Yes I agree in some ways but then again some people cloning is okay, and I disagree because it is not natural. I don't agree with other unnatural things humans do. I think living naturally will make you a happier person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.