Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a vegan anything.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Having educated myself as to the quality of life of the average farm animal in Britain, I personally judge them to be better off never having lived.
    Agreed as many people are clueless of what goes on in farms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telepathicnine)
    What is your favourite film?

If Steven Hawking and an RC car (controlled by 5 year old kid) got into a fight, who you bet money on?

Which finger is your favourite?

Which three colouring pens do you generally use most when colouring?
    I love harry potter and star wars.
    Stephen Hawking
    I don't have a favourite finger all of them are equally as important.
    Purple, pink, orange and light blue.(possibly light green too) I don't really use colouring pens though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    what do u think of vegan gains?
    I have heard of it but I dont watch it but I'll check it out.
    I do think being vegan can help you lose weight if you eat healthily but being vegan doesn't guarantee weight loss. If you are a vegan and you eat sugar everyday and processed things I don't think you will lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student004)
    Yes I agree in some ways but then again some people cloning is okay, and I disagree because it is not natural. I don't agree with other unnatural things humans do. I think living naturally will make you a happier person.
    Okay. In that case, I recommend that you shut your unnatural computer, take off all your unnatural clothes, leave your unnatural house - your whole unnatural neighbourhood, for that matter - and see how happy you feel after a few months of foraging for your own food in the woods, the way a natural human would.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. In that case, I recommend that you shut your unnatural computer, take off all your unnatural clothes, leave your unnatural house - your whole unnatural neighbourhood, for that matter - and see how happy you feel after a few months of foraging for your own food in the woods.
    I'm not talking about everything but what I meant is in like food or like freezing your body after you die so you can be revived.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about everything but what I meant is in like food or like freezing your body after you die so you can be revived.
    Ah, so what you mean is, you don't like unnatural things when they coincide with what you're already a bit morally dubious about. You're fine with unnatural things like vaccines, antibiotics, grocery stores, clothes, information technology, and all the other things that improve our lives in ways it's easy to take for granted.

It seems like the natural/unnatural dichotomy is not the issue here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support the production of honey because it is exploitation. There are substitutes such as agave nectar, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, coconut nectar.
    It doesn't harm bees though. And they produce more honey than they need.

Though the more important reason to support it isn't that, but rather the fact that as long as we produce honey, bees are looked after. One type of bee is already going extinct, it's important we don't let that happen to any other. While normally I think the "but they'll go extinct!" argument is ********, bees are actually an important part of the ecosystem (unlike cows). And while yes, it would be nice if species could just be looked after without people getting anything out of it, we already know that most people just don't care enough to support that cause financially.

Basically, I don't support any animal products except honey, because it's the best way we can protect the bees. After all, they are basically paying for themselves as opposed to being looked after by charity.

Anyway, what do you think about that?

On a more relaxed note, have you tried Ms Cupcake's cupcakes? If so, what do you think?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so what you mean is, you don't like unnatural things when they coincide with what you're already a bit morally dubious about. You're fine with unnatural things like vaccines, antibiotics, grocery stores, clothes, information technology, and all the other things that improve our lives in ways it's easy to take for granted.

It seems like the natural/unnatural dichotomy is not the issue here.
    I'd like to clear up what I said. Firstly, I think some things such as living in a house, technology are alright. I mean some people consider homosexuality is unnatural, so what is natural and unnatural? Secondly, food items, I do think, it does not matter if you buy the items from a grocery shop but what goes into your body which is important. I am talking about the unnatural things that go inside your body.

In some aspects I do agree with you, I maybe wrong and I need to reevaluate my points. Yes, being a 17 year old, I do take things for granted sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    It doesn't harm bees though. And they produce more honey than they need.

Though the more important reason to support it isn't that, but rather the fact that as long as we produce honey, bees are looked after. One type of bee is already going extinct, it's important we don't let that happen to any other. While normally I think the "but they'll go extinct!" argument is ********, bees are actually an important part of the ecosystem (unlike cows). And while yes, it would be nice if species could just be looked after without people getting anything out of it, we already know that most people just don't care enough to support that cause financially.

Basically, I don't support any animal products except honey, because it's the best way we can protect the bees. After all, they are basically paying for themselves as opposed to being looked after by charity.

Anyway, what do you think about that?

On a more relaxed note, have you tried Ms Cupcake's cupcakes? If so, what do you think?
    I agree but then again after all if they are looked after properly, then there wouldn't be this problem of extinction. The solution to the problem is obviously not very easy. Organic honey is probably the best option.

I haven't tired it. I tend to just bake cakes at home. It looks good though, people have recommended it to me.
    It's expensive too

ReputationRep:
    I do support the small organic farms as long as the cows do not live in captivity and they are not genetically mutated and I know realistically that is hard to achieve.
    Yeah, I can't stand the lack of animal welfare in these industrialised farms.
    But from experience, it's really difficult to find organic milk in supermarkets, it's all the low cost crammed into one barn cow milk for less than £1.
    Might as well just get soy milk a lot but I like cows milk in my tea and so if I can I buy organic milk.
    There's no RSPCA assured for milk either or regulation, so it's really confusing there is no proof of good welfare standards.

ReputationRep:
    I agree but then again after all if they are looked after properly, then there wouldn't be this problem of extinction. The solution to the problem is obviously not very easy. Organic honey is probably the best option.

I haven't tired it. I tend to just bake cakes at home. It looks good though, people have recommended it to me.
    It's expensive too
    Well, as far as I'm aware the honey bee is fine. It's other types of bees (ones not used for honey) like the bumble bee that are endangered. So they must be doing a decent job looking after them. This is basically my point, the honey bee will never be in the same danger as other species of bees, because honey industry protects them.

Well do we have long sharp teeth or long claws that carnivores and omnivores have? why do humans have intestinal track which is 10-12 the length of the body, whereas carnivores/omnivores have intestinal track 3 times the length of the body? Why do have salivary glands that are well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits similar to herbivores? Why is our stomach weaker than carnivores/omnivores?
      I haven't just made this is up but it is researched by biologists and anthropologists who study our anatomy and our evolutionary history.
      I just typed a lot of stuff here, and then realized that if you can refute things that are actually known about biology, citing some "biologists and anthopologists" whose names probably only you know, then you'll either refute or outright dismiss whatever I say.

But I'll endeavour to answer your questions, because I'm sporting like that:
      • We have incisors, which specifically are for cutting meat. We also have nails, which are vestigial claws - vesigial now because we have evolved around our use of tools, which began at the latest in Olduvai, nearly three million years ago.
      • The digesive tract (not track) of any animal has to be capable of processing the most difficult element of their diet. In humans' case, that is uncooked plant matter.
      • See above.
      • There are two reasons I can think of (and probably more I can't offhand) why human stomachs are weak now: the stress of modern life, and the amount of processed food we eat. Both of these things came about in the last fifty to one hundred years, and so we haven't had time, biologically, to adapt to them.

I don't have a problem with vegans - provided you/they are doing it for reasons of belief (not wanting to hurt aninals) or taste. Claiming that the human body isn't equipped to process meat and other animal products is simply delusional.

ReputationRep:
      I have been a vegetarian since birth because I am a hindu so my family is largely vegetarian since birth. However, my younger brother and my dad, some of my cousins eat meat now. It has not been easy with my family at first because some of them think I'm stupid or this is pointless, despite the fact cows are sacred for Hindus. I did not become a vegan because of my religion as it is accepted to drink milk in Hinduism. I didn't know why Hindus did not eat meat until 6 months after I became a vegan. It's because Hindus are supposed to be non violent, so I think being vegan is certainly comes under that. I just felt cows were not treated well. I was never a strict Hindu and even today I don't think I am.

Being vegetarian since birth certainly makes it easier to become a vegan as I've never had meat so I don't know what it tastes like and I don't want to eat it.

No I don't think I'm vegan since I've never tried meat but because I've given up dairy last year and I have stopped using any products that are tested on animals.

So I have found substitutes for everything for everything. There are also websites that sell vegan cakes. You can also make cakes replacing egg with egg replacer and butter with some sort of dairy free butter or spread. Pizza, I do miss pizza sometimes but then again after a month or two you get used to it so when my family or friends eat pizza around me, it doesnt really affect me. There are chocolate chips that are dairy free and you can find chocolate that is dairy free.
      Ice cream, I make ice cream at home from frozen bananas and add cocoa powder/cacoa powder or frozen strawberries/berries and vanilla essence.
      I've never eaten meat in my life so I dont know about meat, but there are meat substitutes which I think taste similar. I'm not too sure about that.
      Thank you for your answer! it was really informative, I'm glad you took the time out to answer properly.
      Just one more question. You don't eat meat or use animal tested products because you believe animals shouldn't be harmed. Well whats wrong with organic milk and eggs? Do the animal get harmed in the process?

And also do you have alot of pets because you like animals? are you a cat or dog person? I have a cat

sorry that turned out to be more than one question XD

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nadile)
      Well, as far as I'm aware the honey bee is fine. It's other types of bees (ones not used for honey) like the bumble bee that are endangered. So they must be doing a decent job looking after them. This is basically my point, the honey bee will never be in the same danger as other species of bees, because honey industry protects them.
      That's good to hear so I think I might start eating honey again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheMaskedLady)
      Thank you for your answer! it was really informative, I'm glad you took the time out to answer properly.
      Just one more question. You don't eat meat or use animal tested products because you believe animals shouldn't be harmed. Well whats wrong with organic milk and eggs? Do the animal get harmed in the process?

And also do you have alot of pets because you like animals? are you a cat or dog person? I have a cat

sorry that turned out to be more than one question XD
      Animals are definitely still harmed in the production of organic milk and eggs. The farm animals we raise today have been so thoroughly selectively bred to increase their milk, egg, or muscle production that their capacity to live normally and painlessly has been destroyed. Even if no human being even laid a finger on one, its life would still be short and painful.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.