Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

And I don't know why.

I graduated not too long ago and now I have no friends to talk to, it is affecting my performance at work. Nothing I do is enjoyable anymore.

I can't even tell my parents because they never understand any form of MH issues, i.e. they will tell me to "deal with it".

I don't know what to do.

Please
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    did you move to a different city?

ReputationRep:
    hi. this sounds like depression. speak to your GP. you can PM me if you want. just know that you're not alone in this.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely go and make an appointment with your GP. They will be able to prescribe you with medicine, provide resources and/or arrange for you to get counselling. In the meantime there are also a lot of helplines available. Here is a directory of different mental health helplines & websites - http://www.itv.com/thismorning/mental-health-helplines. There are some generic ones and ones more specific that may be able to help. If you don't feel up for phoning them a lot of them do have websites with forums, resources etc. Samaritans also has an email that you can use to get advice & support: [email protected]. Before your doctor's appointment *which you need to make* it might be useful to write down how you have been feeling, events that have affected your moods, any other mental health concerns you may have - this can ensure that you don't forget to say anything and that you cover all you think needs to be said.

(Original post by elekro)
    hi. this sounds like depression. speak to your GP. you can PM me if you want. just know that you're not alone in this.
    what do I tell my parents? they will freak out if I tell them this

(Original post by Pikachū)
    did you move to a different city?
    No, but i lost contact with everyone so it feels like I have.

(Original post by EmmaCx)
    I would definitely go and make an appointment with your GP. They will be able to prescribe you with medicine, provide resources and/or arrange for you to get counselling. In the meantime there are also a lot of helplines available. Here is a directory of different mental health helplines & websites - http://www.itv.com/thismorning/mental-health-helplines. There are some generic ones and ones more specific that may be able to help. If you don't feel up for phoning them a lot of them do have websites with forums, resources etc. Samaritans also has an email that you can use to get advice & support: [email protected]. Before your doctor's appointment *which you need to make* it might be useful to write down how you have been feeling, events that have affected your moods, any other mental health concerns you may have - this can ensure that you don't forget to say anything and that you cover all you think needs to be said.
    Thank you. what do I do about my work then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    why do you have to tell them anything?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

No, but i lost contact with everyone so it feels like I have.

Thank you. what do I do about my work then?
    Prioritise your mental health above your work. You do not need to let your parents know you sought out mental health support from a doctor. When you speak to your doctor they may be able to provide you with some help in regards to what to do with work. If you feel comfortable, talk to your line manager (or whoever is in charge of this) about your mental health and see if there is any way you could get support from work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.