Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a return to mental health nursing student starting at Southampton in March. I've to submit an essay on one of the 6 c's and discuss why I think it's importance to me in relation to contemporary nursing. I've chosen communication and done my research. It's only 500 words. Where im finding it tricky is keeping the focus small, they've asked for this and also some analysis the pros and cons. It's been years since I did an essay so any advice on what they are looking for would be appreciated. My current essay is going to be far too long and probably focused to much on different forms of communication. Thanx for any help.

ReputationRep:
    It's best to work out how you learn.
    I usually do spider diagrams or mind maps.
    Look at what communication is. Why it's important and what is the function / purpose of communication.
    Then look at that in relation to the 6cs and the code of conduct.
    Ie nurses having a duty of candour etc. Communication means transparency and consent etc etc.
    Just link it all back where you can.
    And remember to keep to the point and always look st the question to keep you focused and stop you going off on a tangent!
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's only 500 words I would concentrate on just one aspect of communication,
    In your opening paragraph mention all aspects but tell the marker for the purposes of this essay you will be focusing on one, for example body language
    By doing that you will have more words to be critical ie x (reference) explains that some body language is hard to read because etc etc. However x (reference) argued that etc etc.
    500 words is such a small number so I feel your pain!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    500 hundred words pieces are really tough. I think the trick is to go ahead and write as much as you want. Don't worry about you word limit. Then, once you have written all you feel you want to write, be that 600 or 2500 words, cut it back. Most professors and markers are pretty good at their job. Where most people see 500 words, they can see all the words you didn't add. They can see that this is a well organised thought that has been summarized. Yes, they do have a specific range of responses they are looking for and I would suggest you keep it to an outline that shows you know a lot more than you are writing.
    If you would like some more specific help to ensure you write exactly what they want try this https://essayhelp.online/blog/colleg...ication-essay/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.