Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying my first car which car should i get? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
    There are plenty of nice cars to choose from. Make sure you do the homework. Ring all the insurance companies and get a rough estimate. If you are hauling your family around, get a 2004-2008 Mazda 6 estate. It's a great car, handles well, gets decent mileage.
    thank you ill look into it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzMc)
    thank you ill look into it
    Happy shopping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipG1)
    I own a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2L

It's a nice car I love it but they do have their issues which im still sorting after 2 years of owning it, as Fiat goes: Fix It Again Tomorrow
    In US we say it, fix it again tonny

ReputationRep:
    I own a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2L

It's a nice car I love it but they do have their issues which im still sorting after 2 years of owning it, as Fiat goes: Fix It Again Tomorrow
    Omg I can totally relate. My first car back in the day was a fiat punto. Never again. Put it this way, I should have been on first name terms with the bloke from the AA.

ReputationRep:
    not too expensive just something to help me get around
    Look at the What Car? or Honest John online reviews - beeter than going on TSR opinions.

For a first car something small like a Skoda Citigo or VW Up! is probaby sensible. There is 0% finance on offer out there so worth considering.

If you are buying new then get it before April if you can as the new Road Tax rules come in ...

ReputationRep:
    Consider a golf or the focus but I think the older versions look better than the brand new versions. If you can stretch ur budget by waiting a bit longer then you should consider a bmw one series or Mercedes AMG A180 lol(Aclass)😍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Omg I can totally relate. My first car back in the day was a fiat punto. Never again. Put it this way, I should have been on first name terms with the bloke from the AA.
    Like I love it, it's a good hatchback with a lot of space but the electrical issues aren't funny and expensive as well a snapped gear selector, LIKE CMON. First time I ever got it towed away.

ReputationRep:
    Like I love it, it's a good hatchback with a lot of space but the electrical issues aren't funny and expensive as well a snapped gear selector, LIKE CMON. First time I ever got it towed away.
    You should have seen mine- at one point the ecu blew up and took the coil packs with it.

ReputationRep:
    You should have seen mine- at one point the ecu blew up and took the coil packs with it.
    What year and what mileage?

ReputationRep:
    What year and what mileage?
    It was w reg, and had done about 60,000 miles.
    This was 6/7 years ago now though.

ReputationRep:
    Finance has been something I've been looking into for a while. You can easily get a Seat Ibiza which is a great small car for less than 120 a month
    Yeah I drove a Seat Ibiza for 3 years, interior is basic but they're really easy to drive!

ReputationRep:
    It was w reg, and had done about 60,000 miles.
    This was 6/7 years ago now though.
    W reg? That's ancient, at least mine is 2007, hopefully I dont have to worry with the issues that you have with the more updated car

(Original post by sh9)
    Yeah I drove a Seat Ibiza for 3 years, interior is basic but they're really easy to drive!
    Yeah you can get a 66 reg, will come up to 17 reg soon for like 120 a month, may have to pay a bit more for a better engine but the trim is an SE Technology which is mid spec with the upgraded infotainment, and since Seat is VW, most of the car is VW.

ReputationRep:
    A K11 Nissan Micra 1l preferably from between 1994 to 1999. Spend £400-600 on it and run it until rust kills it.

ReputationRep:
    W reg? That's ancient, at least mine is 2007, hopefully I dont have to worry with the issues that you have with the more updated car

Yeah you can get a 66 reg, will come up to 17 reg soon for like 120 a month, may have to pay a bit more for a better engine but the trim is an SE Technology which is mid spec with the upgraded infotainment, and since Seat is VW, most of the car is VW.
    To be fair, it was nearly 7 years ago that I owned the punto and had all these troubles, so it would be around about the same sort of age that yours is now when I was having all the problems with it.
    I only kept it 6 months it was that troublesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    A K11 Nissan Micra 1l preferably from between 1994 to 1999. Spend £400-600 on it and run it until rust kills it.
    I had one of those a few years ago (a 2000 reg). It was my 2nd car. Them things are bomb proof.
    Just got a 16 plate micra- I'm hoping that this one proves just as reliable.

ReputationRep:
    I had one of those a few years ago (a 2000 reg). It was my 2nd car. Them things are bomb proof.
    You've just missed out, definitely chose the wrong time to get a Micra, they are releasing a new model later this year which looks stunning

ReputationRep:
    Nissan aren't quite the same company they were in the mid-nineties. Once their ties with Renault started their cars went down hill. One of the reasons I recommend up to a '99 model because although you faired well with yours, they weren't as well built as the years before then. And the model you've bought was built in India rather than at the renowned Sunderland plant.

I drove an auto version of the newer Micra as a rental car in Australia in 2015. I'd say it was the worst car I've ever driven. I only had it 2 days so can't comment on reliability but for driving dynamics and that auto gearbox! I spent the weekend wishing a kangaroo would leap in front of me!

Modern cars are pretty much all reliable these days though.

ReputationRep:
    Been driving for 2-3 years now using the family car and getting my own car which car would you suggest?
    Toyota Aygo is great to drive around havent had it for long but its a good little car so far

ReputationRep:
    you should buy a green toyota yaris made in 2011

ReputationRep:
    You've just missed out, definitely chose the wrong time to get a Micra, they are releasing a new model later this year which looks stunning
    I know they are releasing the new model.
    The thing that put me off is that its quite pricey. I know it will be the brand new shape out and all that, but its still quite pricey. Plus i couldnt really be arsed to wait that long- i wanted to get a new car of some description sooner rather than later (didnt really help that the clutch was on its way out on my old car and i didnt want to pay out for that if im about to trade it in and get something else soon).
    The one ive got was a bargain- it was a mega good model (with sat nav, reversing sensors, a parallel park thing etc with all the bits chucked at it such as blacked out windows etc. It had also done 1200 miles which it decent for a 10 month old car.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.