Turn on thread page Beta

Euthanasia should be permitted in the UK for the terminally ill - What do you think? watch

ReputationRep:
    Found this thread on Reddit. What do you think? https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...he_uk_for_the/

If you've ever lost a loved one to Cancer you know and see the torture and pain they go through during the end. It's living torture with no escape. I lost my 56 year old Dad 2 days ago to Cancer. I was told he died peacefully by my brothers. They were with him when he took his last breath. But, he suffered for 6 months and told me numerous times he wanted to die. He was told that his Cancer can not be cured and he had 2 options: 1) Chemo and radiation to prolong life 2) Go home with pain medications to die. He chose chemotherapy because part of him was hoping for a miracle. He went through so many rounds hoping it was working. It didn't do anything except cause him more problems. The radiation on his brain finished him off. After the radiotherapy he became a shell of who he was. He had no movement in his left arm. He couldn't walk because a tumour in his leg caused a nasty break. He had blood clots in his lungs from the chemotherapy and being bed ridden for months. He couldn't eat or drink and was struggling to breath. Even sitting up in bed caused breathlessness. He also developed an irregular heart rate. Life was hell for him. Many times he told me he wanted to die. He asked me to leave him a packet of razor blades Christmas day. Even if I had left them with him (and I was tempted), he wouldn't have had the strength to do it. He was too weak. There was no way for him to escape Cancer. Euthanasia is not an option in the UK. Had it have been an option he would have taken it and we all would have accepted it. At least during the end times. It's unfair that a human who is inevitably going to die in the most painful way does not have the option to end their own life. For this reason I think Euthanasia should be an option for terminally ill Cancer patients in the UK.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    With the right controls to ensure people are competent to make the decision then yes I think it should be legal. I want to die on my own terms if I m dying anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)
    Found this thread on Reddit. What do you think? https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...he_uk_for_the/
    I think it should definitely be legalised for when someone gets to a certain level of suffering (but I don't know how this would be measured). It's unfair for someone to have to endure a life like that, why aren't we allowed to decide when the suffering of life (physical health-wise - I'm not referring to mental illnesses such as bipolar and depression that may make people feel suicidal) gets too much?

When someone can no longer be helped, when their illness is seriously deteriorating their quality of life and there is no way to cure them or drastically slow down the progression of their disease, then they should be able to decide when to terminate their suffering.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Providing the appropriate and correct measures are taken, people who are terminally ill should be allowed to die, they are suffering, why make them suffer even more? Yes it's heartbreaking but it's their own choice and they know how much their body can take, if they are dying, no one should be made to feel pain any more than they can cope with.

ReputationRep:
    The person who is suffering has his right to stop his own life, if it is due to incurable deseases. This decision must be agreed by his family and the doctor, licet pro causa.

ReputationRep:
    /r/UnitedKingdom is cancer. Too many Londoners.

ReputationRep:
    I originally posted it on /r/UnitedKingdom as it was the only place I felt it may get some traction. It was my Dad that died 2 days ago, and it was heartbreaking to watch him decline.

I'd like to raise this in parliament. I have no idea how, but I'll do my best to make some sort of attempt over the following year. There's a high chance it will happen to me, and when it does I want to go with dignity. I've already had Cancer once. My grandad died from the same Cancer too.

I think people deserve the right to die with dignity and not prolong their life to a point where it's suffering and pain.

ReputationRep:
    Euthanasia definitely needs to be made legal. This is actually my biggest fear, that I will reach a stage where I will want to die, but I will no longer be capable of doing it myself and no one will do it for me. Make it so that it has to be approved by two doctors or something, that will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)
    Euthanasia should be legal. It would boost Scotland's economy.

ReputationRep:
    No. Suicide is the coward's way out in my opinion. Just think of all the friends and family that'll suffer thanks to the selfishness of one person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    No. Suicide is the coward's way out in my opinion. Just think of all the friends and family that'll suffer thanks to the selfishness of one person.
    Have you ever watched a loved die from terminal Cancer? Have you seen the damage, and the pain, it causes? Have you seen them in a hospital bed for weeks unable to move, talk, struggle to breath, and watched them cry whilst they whisper with all their might "I cant take this no more I want to die". Unable to eat, choking every time they drink, struggling to breath due to multiple blood clots on their lungs, tumours growing all over their body causing serious pain.

Please don't speak to me about the cowards way out. Your opinion doesn't count when it's your loved one that's suffering. Allow them to die with dignity and grace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my masters on this subject in September , can't wait !

I do believe we should have the option to die with dignity , everyone situation is totally different and needs to be looked at that way.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's selfish for you to demand that your relative stays alive while they can hardly move and are at all times suffering in large amounts of pain, just so you can sit in the same room as them once every while and stare at them until you get bored. You will have to deal with their death at some point, regardless of whether they chose for it to happen.

And how is it cowardly to decide to die, considering that death is possibly the most feared thing by people? It is the only logical option when you are bedridden, in constant pain and you know you will die soon anyway. Not to mention, you can't possibly be happy knowing that your relative you apparently care for so much is suffering like that. Wouldn't you just feel terrible all the time knowing how much pain they are in, and just wish their misery could end?

ReputationRep:

I have never understood why people refer to suicide as selfish? You are literally killing the self. You are not doing anything for yourself.You are destroying it. How exactly can that be considered selfish? It is the opposite.Its utterly selfless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    Killing myself is the last thing I would do.
    So if you had a terminal Cancer diagnosis that leaves you bed ridden in tremendous amounts of pain constantly, you can't talk, or eat, or move, and have to degrade yourself by going to the toilet in an adult nappy whilst you wait for death is something you'd enjoy? That's how terminal Cancer works.

Read my Reddit post. You'll see in detail how it destroys a person. Watched my Dad go through it. I wouldn't wish that on my enemy.

ReputationRep:
    I think its an issue similar to abortion in some ways. The argument is again about killing someone/yourself and how God/ethics forbids that.
    Just as with abortion, I believe people should be given a choice. As long as it is not used by relatives to get rid of 'annoying grandma' and multiprofessional team is involved in the decision making process, I don't see how different it is to die of a terminal disease or of some kind of pills (or whatever is used).

The issue gets tricky when we consider paralised people, living only thanks to the respirator.

ReputationRep:
    Another legal fight has recently started involving issues with assisted suicide;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38500873

Biggest problem at the moment though, is that MPs pretty much always vote against such issues. See the recent Assisted Dying Bill in 2015 for example. It had fairly decent safeguards in place (Two doctors approval required, high court judge approval required, person must be mentally competent and had fewer than 6 months to live etc.) but was voted 330 against, 118 for.

The courts are notoriously unwilling to do much on the issue, mostly taken the opinion that it is the role of the MPs to change the current law. Therefore we are in a current cycle where the majority of MPs are against, thus we continue to see endless legal battles from individuals trying to battle the legality of the current laws.

Canada and California introduced Assisted Dying in 2016, and Australia plans to introduce legislation to allow doctors to help the terminally ill to die.

I think it's sad that the UK is behind on this, but given the views of our MPs I honestly don't see it changing anytime soon unless a legal battle is won and forces them to introduce such legislation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    /r/UnitedKingdom is cancer. Too many Londoners.
    Sounds like TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Pain and suffering don't legitimise suicide or killing. I think pain and suffering should encourage the opposite...they should encourage us to work harder to address the cause of the suffering/pain...

This practice can lead to many questionable actions....for example, people can become pressurised into euthanasia. Pain can cloud your judgment. Your life circumstances e.g. being depressed can pressurise you into wanting to end your life. Family can pressure you into euthanasia. Cancer treatments can affect your judgment. Many cancer treatments affect the way you think and your ability to think clearly. ..If you give doctors the power to decide then they can become influenced by factors other than your interest such as cost and hospital room and uninformed subjective opinions etc. Medical opinions on cancer and other terminal conditions like this are very subjective. We simply do not know enough about these diseases to be able to make accurate decisions about how things will turn out for the patient....so this can lead to the patient deciding to end their life based on inaccurate information.

Patients interests should take prescendence and allowing such a practice to go on undermines this.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds so awful, OP. I'm sorry to hear that your father went through all that. I absolutely 100% support euthanasia.

I don't know the exact laws but I live in the US and some states here have physician assisted dying laws. I would hope that if I were ever to be in the early stages of the position of your father that I could move to one of those states and end it. If you're in that level of pain it's just cruel to keep going.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.