Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Euthanasia should be permitted in the UK for the terminally ill - What do you think? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    Nope.

Pain and suffering don't legitimise suicide or killing. I think pain and suffering should encourage the opposite...they should encourage us to work harder to address the cause of the suffering/pain...
    Do explain how a terminally ill cancer patient can address their pain and suffering ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Sounds like TSR.
    TSR has a lot of Tory-boy rightists, even the alt-right folk on here are pussios. /r/UnitedKingdom is a load of progressive urbanites and it sickens me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    TSR has a lot of Tory-boy rightists, even the alt-right folk on here are pussios. /r/UnitedKingdom is a load of progressive urbanites and it sickens me.
    I always thought the alt rightists here were just putting on a show

ReputationRep:
    I always thought the alt rightists here were just putting on a show
    It's what annoys me about Cato, he's right on certain things, but he keeps claiming moral superiority of the West and uses that as justification for Western violence. Most ''right-wingers'' on here are just social conservatives/NeoCons who want to appropriate an edgy label.

A real right-winger would embrace the amoral nihilism of rational self-interest.

ReputationRep:
    I do think euthanasia should be made legal. I watched and cared for my father who had MND for years and watched him suffer, degenerate and waste away. Because of his terminal illness, I may be a carrier of it, or inherit the condition when I am of age. I would not want to live the rest of my life as a vegetable and would prefer to die, and wouldn't really want to put my loved ones through the same.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's what annoys me about Cato, he's right on certain things, but he keeps claiming moral superiority of the West and uses that as justification for Western violence. Most ''right-wingers'' on here are just social conservatives/NeoCons who want to appropriate an edgy label.

A real right-winger would embrace the amoral nihilism of rational self-interest.
    I also agree with some of his views but he claims some absurd things like the west having superior morals therefore they have the right to conquer less developed nations.

I still don't actually know if people actually believe that or just say it for bants.

ReputationRep:
    I also agree with some of his views but he claims some absurd things like the west having superior morals therefore they have the right to conquer less developed nations.

I still don't actually know if people actually believe that or just say it for bants.
    Exactly, it's so internally inconsistent it comes across as simple minded.

Most of what is considered right-wing is collectivist crap. The greatest success of the left was to define the right as leftists who want a slightly slower march in the leftwards directions. Everyone on the right today would have been considered a left-wing radical 50 years ago. There has been no right-wing for the past 3 decades because the space occupied by the right was made up of leftists who were agreeing to give ground at a slow pace. Bush should be put on trial but not for the Iraq war.

ReputationRep:
    no
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Appropriate image incoming
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, it's so internally inconsistent it comes across as simple minded.

Most of what is considered right-wing is collectivist crap. The greatest success of the left was to define the right as leftists who want a slightly slower march in the leftwards directions. Everyone on the right today would have been considered a left-wing radical 50 years ago. There has been no right-wing for the past 3 decades because the space occupied by the right was made up of leftists who were agreeing to give ground at a slow pace. Bush should be put on trial but not for the Iraq war.
    He's banned now lol, he had extreme views but I don't remember him being offensive or breaking rules.

What for? I was too young during Bush's time, don't remember anything.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)
    Found this thread on Reddit. What do you think? https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...he_uk_for_the/
    I'm listening to this right now:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenter...e-left-maajid/

I can't understand why people are against it. So long as someone is competent enough to make an informed decision it should be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    He's banned now lol, he had extreme views but I don't remember him being offensive or breaking rules.

What for? I was too young during Bush's time, don't remember anything.
    Me neither, he was a tad bloodthirsty for my liking.

For being a closeted leftist, there were very little right wing policies under him, no child left behind was leftist, open door immigration whilst simultaneously bashing immigrants, government spending was insane, he bailed out failed corporations at the expense of the tax payer, he and Obama have acted in the exact same way. On the issue of immigration btw, I would consider no immigration restriction to be right-wing, but campaigning on a distrust of migrants to suck up the votes of White working class people who are traditionally socially conservative whilst doing nothing about the issue is disgusting. The only right-wing policies he enacted were on abortion (social conservative horseshit) and low taxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Appropriate image incoming
    My honest opinion is that euthanasia is illegal because Christian teachings of the sanctity of life and your body not being your property still permeate through the West.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My honest opinion is that euthanasia is illegal because Christian teachings of the sanctity of life and your body not being your property still permeate through the West.
    When it comes to law and government, religion shouldn't be involved. Instead, they should think about what the people want
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Me neither, he was a tad bloodthirsty for my liking.

For being a closeted leftist, there were very little right wing policies under him, no child left behind was leftist, open door immigration whilst simultaneously bashing immigrants, government spending was insane, he bailed out failed corporations at the expense of the tax payer, he and Obama have acted in the exact same way. On the issue of immigration btw, I would consider no immigration restriction to be right-wing, but campaigning on a distrust of migrants to suck up the votes of White working class people who are traditionally socially conservative whilst doing nothing about the issue is disgusting. The only right-wing policies he enacted were on abortion (social conservative horseshit) and low taxes.
    A 'true' (social) conservative wouldn't get any votes today. It's just a natural shift. The Tories are even more of a joke than Republicans. The fact that they're called "conservative" is funny in itself

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be allowed for terminally ill people.If they are going to die anyway I don't see the point in making them live through that suffering for any longer than they have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)
    Do explain how a terminally ill cancer patient can address their pain and suffering ...
    Problem = pain
    Cause = Terminal illness

Pain is often part of disease. There are two ways you can deal with it. You can RESPOND to pain and you can REACT to pain. Response is objective. Reaction is subjective. Response is 'addressing' pain. Reaction is running away from it. Response is seeking treatment. Reaction is ending your life. Response is a solution as it addresses the cause of the problem. Reaction is not a solution as it does not address the cause of the problem. Response is logical. Reaction is incomplete and illogical. Euthanasia is not a solution. Treatment is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    Pain is often part of disease. There are two ways you can deal with it. You can RESPOND to pain and you can REACT to pain. Response is objective. Reaction is subjective. Response is 'addressing' pain. Reaction is running away from it. Response is seeking treatment. Reaction is ending your life. Response is a solution as it addresses the cause of the problem. Reaction is not a solution as it does not address the cause of the problem. Response is logical. Reaction is incomplete and illogical.
    Are you smoking crack? You're spouting some self help ********. You've obviously never seen a person die from Cancer. That's a very poor defence to not legalise euthanasia.

ReputationRep:
    I would go even further and say that people who have a long suffering mental illness with no hope of recovery, like me, should be entitled to euthanasia as well.

ReputationRep:
    I have lost four members of my family who died of cancer over the last ten years, Even with this, I do not agree with euthanasia, as I fear it would be a slippery slope where older people would feel or be put under pressure to opt for this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.