Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions About the Process of Applying to a Sixth Form? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hello, TheStudentRoom! I'm in Year 11 and currently filling in the applications to give in by the end of this month (all of the sixth forms I'm applying to have their deadlines set in mid-February.) However, with that being said there's not much I know about Sixth Form. My Secondary School doesn't have a sixth form so I'm very unfamiliar with the environment of Sixth Forms. In fact, most of my knowledge of a life of a Sixth Former is from The Inbetweeners. Before I start, the options I wish to study are and the requirements.)

- Drama (Drama & English 6)
    - Economics (English 6 & Maths 6)
    - Government and Politics (English 6)
    - Psychology (English 6 & Maths 6)

1) A lot of teachers in my school are pretty much saying "oh you don't need the best of grades, in fact on Results Day you could just walk in and they'll accept you. Some don't even look at your GCSE grades!" is this true in the slightest? Is there a catch?

2) I am to be expected Bs on all subjects and an A in History. This is great since the Sixth Form I wish to join asks on the application what's my estimated grade for the subjects above and my expected grades match the requirements. However, my PPE1 results are all below the requirement. I failed English and Maths PPE1 (getting a 3-). Will the PPEs affect my expected grades? (my secondary school "doesn't know" how to give me a student/parent login for Go4Schools.) I ask this because my estimated grade for History changed from B to A because I got a B in the PPE, does the PPE change the estimated grades if the results were lower than the expected?

3) Do Sixth Forms look at your grades in other subjects to make a choice of admitting you?

4) What exactly is an unconditional offer and a conditional offer? They're both offers that you get from Sixth Forms that involves getting the required grades. The difference is that an unconditional offer means that you're set because you got the required grades whereas a conditional offer means that as long as you get the required grades, you're set. But you don't actually get the grades until Results Day, how do you even get an unconditional offer?

5) From what I could infer from an episode of The Inbetweeners you could truant (or bunk for all you badmen) from school. Is this true? Can you actually truant from Sixth Form without even providing a reason and not get the same response you'd get in Secondary and Primary School?

Thank you for reading!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not pretty sure about your situation but I can explain the case of conditional and unconditional offers.
    Conditional offer-you can only be accepted to the school finally if you meet their requirements in GCSE grades
    Unconditional - You're accepted whatever grades you get in GCSE
    I hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.