Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like a geek lately .I know it's a good think but I still feel awkward so do U guys mind listing some advantages?

ReputationRep:
    Being a geek is cool , I don't get this 'culture'(if you can call it that) of being thick . There's nothing funny about it , just look like a total ****.

Embrace your geekiness , embrace your brain ! There's nothing cooler than intelligence !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karthika10)
    I feel like a geek lately .I knoe it's a good think but I still feel awkward so do I guys mind listing some advantages?
    Greater chance of sitting on a beach while simultaneously running a company from your phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeTamoul)
    Greater chance of sitting on a beach while simultaneously running a company from your phone.
    Ohhhh thank u . I hope so tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supernova91)
    Being a geek is cool , I don't get this 'culture'(if you can call it that) of being thick . There's nothing funny about it , just look like a total ****.

Embrace your geekiness , embrace your brain ! There's nothing cooler than intelligence !!!
    Thank u. N I guess it's true

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh thank u . I hope so tho
    You're welcome, I believe that you will achieve your dreams.

ReputationRep:
    depends what you mean by geek
    if by geek you actually have some developed hobbies/interests - be a geek. that's actually good
    you can be a geek and cool. there's no dichotomy. I find that the most interesting and funny people are usually somewhat "geeky". me and my friends all look and seem very "normal" but we're a bunch of secret nerds deep down, and only we know about it :lol: took us a while to discover that we were all secret nerds underneath our facades of normality

ReputationRep:
    urban dictionary is pretty positive
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geek
    geek
    One of four titles used to classify someone based on their technical and social skills. The other three titles are nerd, dork, and normie. The difference between the four titles can be easily shown in table form:
    ................ Technical ...... Social
    Title ............ Skills ......... Skills
    ---------- ---------------- ------------
    Normie ......... No ............. Yes
    Geek ........... Yes ............. Yes
    Nerd ............ Yes ............. No
    Dork ............ No .............. No

Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    depends what you mean by geek
    if by geek you actually have some developed hobbies/interests - be a geek. that's actually good
    you can be a geek and cool. there's no dichotomy. I find that the most interesting and funny people are usually somewhat "geeky". me and my friends all look and seem very "normal" but we're a bunch of secret nerds deep down, and only we know about it :lol: took us a while to discover that we were all secret nerds underneath our facades of normality
    same! I don't have the nerd glasses or whatever but I'm still kinda nerdy😂😂 the thing is my best friends r not geeks so they make me feel kinda awkward. On the other hand I do have a bunch of nerd for friends too😉

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I get the benefit of spitting fiyah knowledge about something out of nowhere and people that don't know me well look like they've just seen the face of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeTamoul)
    lol not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    lol not really
    All the techie CEOs would likely be classed as geeks and those companies are making the most money right now (Apple's margins are ****ing wild), so statistically yeah the chance would be greater, but not by huge amounts that people who give themselves the geek label like to think in order to feel about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    same! I don't have the nerd glasses or whatever but I'm still kinda nerdy😂😂 the thing is my best friends r not geeks so they make me feel kinda awkward. On the other hand I do have a bunch of nerd for friends too😉
    some of my friends like anime and it took until 2nd year for us to all spontaneously realise that we all liked it - we just didn't want to be the only "nerdy" person in our group :lol: but we were all that person. now me and one of my friends are really getting into computer specs and all that **** which is potentially worse
    I would wear my glasses if I thought I suited them :lol: my eyesight is 17.5/18 which is really not very good but I still don't wear glasses due to it. not even contacts.
    I have these: extra nerdy:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sleepysnooze;69430308]some of my friends like anime and it took until 2nd year for us to all spontaneously realise that we all liked it - we just didn't want to be the only "nerdy" person in our group :lol: but we were all that person. now me and one of my friends are really getting into computer specs and all that **** which is potentially worse
    I would wear my glasses if I thought I suited them :lol: my eyesight is 17.5/18 which is really not very good but I still don't wear glasses due to it. not even contacts.
    I have these: extra nerdy:

oh u must count ur self lucky do have friends that experience those similar feelings. Tbh I think the glasses shouldn't be letying u down(even a bit) so maybe u might wanna look for ones u like with the same eyesight thing(sorry I don't kno much about glasses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    All the techie CEOs would likely be classed as geeks and those companies are making the most money right now (Apple's margins are ****ing wild), so statistically yeah the chance would be greater, but not by huge amounts that people who give themselves the geek label like to think in order to feel about themselves.
    Thx I geuss I never rlly thought like that (Apple was created by a "geek")😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.