Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my mocks from October and December, I got mostly A's with two B's for science. How do I get those to A*s? I feel like no matter how much I revise, I just can't get to an A* and I don't want to settle for just A's when I know I can do better.
    The GCSEs I'm doing are the usual Maths, English Lang, English Lit and Double Science along with RE (which was necessary at our school), History, Economics, Business Studies and German. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Past Papers - Revision - Notes

(A*) - Science, I would suggest Youtube Videos and making notes (It helped me A* Bio A* Chem A* Physics)
    (A*) -Maths- Past Papers and a lot of them and for English I am not too sure because I kind off failed (C)
    (A*) -RE - Making notes and asking friends to test you and finally exam past papers to understand what type of questions would come up ect.
    (A*) -Business - A* in coursework which helped a lot and trying to do past papers so you can apply your knowledge to the question... *Applied Business* > *Applied*

As for English Lan > History > Economics > German = I am not too sure, I got (C) in English and I didn't do the other subjects.

I got 10A*S and C (English)
    Hope this helped

(Original post by CookieSusee)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaaz)
    Past Papers - Revision - Notes

(A*) - Science, I would suggest Youtube Videos and making notes (It helped me A* Bio A* Chem A* Physics)
    (A*) -Maths- Past Papers and a lot of them and for English I am not too sure because I kind off failed (C)
    (A*) -RE - Making notes and asking friends to test you and finally exam past papers to understand what type of questions would come up ect.
    (A*) -Business - A* in coursework which helped a lot and trying to do past papers so you can apply your knowledge to the question... *Applied Business* > *Applied*

As for English Lan > History > Economics > German = I am not too sure, I got (C) in English and I didn't do the other subjects.

I got 10A*S and C (English)
    Hope this helped
    Thank you so much! Also, did you know every bit of information inside out? How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? Sorry for more questions but your grades are amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Also, did you know every bit of information inside out? How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? Sorry for more questions but your grades are amazing!!
    Thank you so much! <3<3<3<3 Anytime (PM if you need more help)

Did you know every bit of information inside out? For the most part, yes but I was always like this... I always wanted to be the best #1 but I wasn't a snob like other people... I helped my friends ect.

How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? I kind off started revising a bit late (Late Jan / Early Feb) well it's still early compared to my friends but I started revising early Feb. I balanced my life with education and fun. During GCSEs and earlier, I was a kid that messed about but when it was work time, I would listen and work *Heads Down and Revise* so, I knew the content but I just *re* visited it. When I started revising, I would revise for 30 mins for each subject (looking at class notes and if in class I didn't understand something, I would write it down and revisit it and try to understand it as well as ask the teachers. I had 2 types of friends. Work Friends and Best-Close Friends. Work Friends were friends that I could ask questions relating school work etc. and Close Friends were friends I went parties with and friends I love. Balance is Key..

Before starting revision, make a timetable. (Monday to Friday) i would suggest 6 subjects (30mins each)

Monday - Business Studies - 10 Mins on StakeHolders - 10 Mins on 10 Marker. 12:00 Physics - Revise Circuits *MAKE IT DETAILED"
    Monday to Friday

School Days - Finish school & ready for revision ect by 6:00, 6 Subs 30 mins each finish by 8 and then mess about, watch tv do whatever ect..

Weekends - Wake up 8:00 and follow the school timetable.. 12:20 till 1:00 (LUNCH) and then revise until 3 but for every hour take 5 mins off to get water ect / toilet.

Sorry this is messy and long <3 Hope you understand Message again.. i am all good and down to helping

-S

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! <3<3<3<3 Anytime (PM if you need more help)

Did you know every bit of information inside out? For the most part, yes but I was always like this... I always wanted to be the best #1 but I wasn't a snob like other people... I helped my friends ect.

How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? I kind off started revising a bit late (Late Jan / Early Feb) well it's still early compared to my friends but I started revising early Feb. I balanced my life with education and fun. During GCSEs and earlier, I was a kid that messed about but when it was work time, I would listen and work *Heads Down and Revise* so, I knew the content but I just *re* visited it. When I started revising, I would revise for 30 mins for each subject (looking at class notes and if in class I didn't understand something, I would write it down and revisit it and try to understand it as well as ask the teachers. I had 2 types of friends. Work Friends and Best-Close Friends. Work Friends were friends that I could ask questions relating school work etc. and Close Friends were friends I went parties with and friends I love. Balance is Key..

Before starting revision, make a timetable. (Monday to Friday) i would suggest 6 subjects (30mins each)

Monday - Business Studies - 10 Mins on StakeHolders - 10 Mins on 10 Marker. 12:00 Physics - Revise Circuits *MAKE IT DETAILED"
    Monday to Friday

School Days - Finish school & ready for revision ect by 6:00, 6 Subs 30 mins each finish by 8 and then mess about, watch tv do whatever ect..

Weekends - Wake up 8:00 and follow the school timetable.. 12:20 till 1:00 (LUNCH) and then revise until 3 but for every hour take 5 mins off to get water ect / toilet.

Sorry this is messy and long <3 Hope you understand Message again.. i am all good and down to helping

-S
    Oh my god thank you so much and it's not a mess at all thank you for the detail!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god thank you so much and it's not a mess at all thank you for the detail!!!
    Thanks & Also remember GCSEs is a minor thing...

I got 10A*S and C and I am in my first year of Sixth Form and no one cares or seems to be bothered about GCSEs..
    GCSEs are only to get you into your ALevel course.

Getting All B's is good (You need a minimum of 'B' to get into a specific course.)

I am studying (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Business Studies and Art) and considering (Keble College (Oxford), UCL, Imperial, St Andrews and Manchester for Pure Physics {Physics}

Aiming for AS / A-Levels (Hopefully)
    Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
    Further Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
    Physics (AS = A / A-Level A*)
    Art (AS = A and A-Level A*)
    Business Studies (AS = A and Dropping it)

Using the same[ish] strategy.

Good Luck <3

Btw what are you hoping to study at A levels and perhaps Uni (If you have thought about it)

ReputationRep:
    I feel like no matter how much I revise, I just can't get to an A* and I don't want to settle for just A's when I know I can do better.
    This is where you are going wrong. The quantity of revision will not affect your results at this point. An A student will not become A* by revising more.

Getting an A* usually means three things:

You know the content inside out
    You can apply all your knowledge, both within everything you've learned and outside it
    You check everything you do and either get it right first time or realise every mistake you make (or almost every mistake)

If you are already getting A's odds are your knowledge is more or less spot on. You may have slight gaps in fully academic subjects like Maths where there are right and wrong answers, right and wrong methods and so on but for other more descriptive subjects like English or History it's about applying your knowledge.

The type of revision varies by subject. In all cases you need to practice exam style questions (not necessarily exam papers though). For subjects like Maths you need to be able to identify everything a question is asking of you and be able to extrapolate existing knowledge to apply it to the question. Then you need to make sure what you are doing is correct.

For subjects like History you need to know whatever information will be necessary and then be able to explain yourself eloquently. All your points and arguments need to be balanced and strong, grammar, spelling and general English needs to be good and so on.

Revising generally means going over your knowledge. Knowledge is often only enough to get a B or an A though. The poeple getting A* don't revise more or harder, they work on applying their knowledge better. Both a B and an A* student may understand how to solve quadratic equations, or be able to recite all the key facts for the Battle of Hastings. The A* student is better at identifying where they need to apply that knowledge or better at applying it contextually with their own arguments. A B student might not realise when they rearrange an equation it becomes a quadratic, or provide all the knowledge but poor arguments. Or they make a mistake and never pick up on it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This is where you are going wrong. The quantity of revision will not affect your results at this point. An A student will not become A* by revising more.

You can apply all your knowledge, both within everything you've learned and outside it
    You check everything you do and either get it right first time or realise every mistake you make (or almost every mistake)

If you are already getting A's odds are your knowledge is more or less spot on. You may have slight gaps in fully academic subjects like Maths where there are right and wrong answers, right and wrong methods and so on but for other more descriptive subjects like English or History it's about applying your knowledge.

The type of revision varies by subject. In all cases you need to practice exam style questions (not necessarily exam papers though). For subjects like Maths you need to be able to identify everything a question is asking of you and be able to extrapolate existing knowledge to apply it to the question. Then you need to make sure what you are doing is correct.

For subjects like History you need to know whatever information will be necessary and then be able to explain yourself eloquently. All your points and arguments need to be balanced and strong, grammar, spelling and general English needs to be good and so on.

Revising generally means going over your knowledge. Knowledge is often only enough to get a B or an A though. The poeple getting A* don't revise more or harder, they work on applying their knowledge better. Both a B and an A* student may understand how to solve quadratic equations, or be able to recite all the key facts for the Battle of Hastings. The A* student is better at identifying where they need to apply that knowledge or better at applying it contextually with their own arguments. A B student might not realise when they rearrange an equation it becomes a quadratic, or provide all the knowledge but poor arguments. Or they make a mistake and never pick up on it later.
    Perfect explanation

ReputationRep:
    Also this. GCSE's matter once to get you into college and that's about it. A university may consider them as part of your application but rarely will they ask for an A*. My GCSE's mattered for about 5 seconds to confirm I got into college. Even then if you are predicted high grades you're going to be fine as long as you get 5 A*-C. This was 5 years ago and they haven't meant anything since.

ReputationRep:
    In my mocks from October and December, I got mostly A's with two B's for science. How do I get those to A*s? I feel like no matter how much I revise, I just can't get to an A* and I don't want to settle for just A's when I know I can do better.
    The GCSEs I'm doing are the usual Maths, English Lang, English Lit and Double Science along with RE (which was necessary at our school), History, Economics, Business Studies and German. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Definitely get Memrise for German. You can either use the website's own German course or search for your exam board and all the necessary vocab should be there. Also go through past papers and highlight/note down any vocab you didn't know and memorise it, chances are it's going to come up again. You could also go through the speaking transcripts and do the same. Languages at GCSE are all about vocab learning so the more you know, the better

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Also this. GCSE's matter once to get you into college and that's about it. A university may consider them as part of your application but rarely will they ask for an A*. My GCSE's mattered for about 5 seconds to confirm I got into college. Even then if you are predicted high grades you're going to be fine as long as you get 5 A*-C. This was 5 years ago and they haven't meant anything since.
    yeah, for me no one cares about what i got for my gcses. Its only used for your alevel subjects.

btw are you at Uni? *Which one and what course*

ReputationRep:
    yeah, for me no one cares about what i got for my gcses. Its only used for your alevel subjects.

btw are you at Uni? *Which one and what course*
    It was used for my entry, although I'm aware of some universities (and very occasionally jobs) asking for odd specific GCSE grades. Usually things like an A in Maths or English though.

I am at university, I'm at Portsmouth studying Forensic Computing. In my first year and going back tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone help me with English please?

ReputationRep:

I got 10A*S and C and I am in my first year of Sixth Form and no one cares or seems to be bothered about GCSEs..
    GCSEs are only to get you into your ALevel course.

Getting All B's is good (You need a minimum of 'B' to get into a specific course.)

I am studying (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Business Studies and Art) and considering (Keble College (Oxford), UCL, Imperial, St Andrews and Manchester for Pure Physics {Physics}

Aiming for AS / A-Levels (Hopefully)
    Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
    Further Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
    Physics (AS = A / A-Level A*)
    Art (AS = A and A-Level A*)
    Business Studies (AS = A and Dropping it)

Using the same[ish] strategy.

Good Luck <3

Btw what are you hoping to study at A levels and perhaps Uni (If you have thought about it)
    Yeaahh a lot of people say theyre minor but I'm just determined on doing the best I can since I know it's possible for me to do well. Also, good luck on getting those grades, though I don't think you'll need it since you probably will get A's anyway!! At A Level, I chose Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy and Ethics but I'm thinking of changing Philosophy and Ethics after realising it's basically Religious Studies. I'm thinking of doing either a Maths or Economics degree at university but if I manage to get amazing grades I might try and do the PPE degree at oxford but it's probably out of my reach. Either way I'm determined to just work hard. Thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

That's very true actually thank you. I'll work on applying knowledge and doing more exam style questions! Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopetodogoood101)
    Lang or lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's what I thought but since I'm doing the new A Levels which include no AS Levels, the London School of Economics (my dream university) have said they'll use GCSE to help them make offers for applicants so I'm a bit worried about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etudiebee)
    Definitely get Memrise for German. You can either use the website's own German course or search for your exam board and all the necessary vocab should be there. Also go through past papers and highlight/note down any vocab you didn't know and memorise it, chances are it's going to come up again. You could also go through the speaking transcripts and do the same. Languages at GCSE are all about vocab learning so the more you know, the better

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the advice!! I actually only started German in December so I need to revise as effectively as I can in the next 4 months haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopetodogoood101)
    Language or literature? Either way, search for Mr Bruff on youtube, he has videos on so many texts, exam techniques and more. I always watch his videos once then again but the second time, I pause and take notes.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought but since I'm doing the new A Levels which include no AS Levels, the London School of Economics (my dream university) have said they'll use GCSE to help them make offers for applicants so I'm a bit worried about that
    That's fair enough, getting good grades in relevant subjects will help the application then, although I doubt you'll get into a situation where an A* will matter of an A. It's important of course but don't stress over it, there are usually far more factors to consider in an application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.