Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please can anyone run me through the steps of muscle contraction from when Ca2+ binds to troponin?

I'm mainly confused about the cross bridge/ATP/ADP and Pi stuff...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_o)
    Please can anyone run me through the steps of muscle contraction from when Ca2+ binds to troponin?

I'm mainly confused about the cross bridge/ATP/ADP and Pi stuff...

Thanks!
    Hi there,

I'm also revising this topic and I've written it out into nice little stages to help me remember.

Step 1: An action potential from a motor neurone stimulates a muscle cell, it depolarises the sarcolemma. Depolarisation spreads down the T-Tubules to the sarcoplasmic reticulum.

Step 2: This causes the sarcoplasmic reticulum to release stored Ca2+ into the sarcoplasm

Step 3: Calcium ions bind to troponin C, causing it to change shape. This pulls the attached tropomyosin out of the actin-myosin binding site on the actin filament.

Step 4: This exposes the binding site, which allows the myosin head to bind.

Step 5: The bond formed when a myosin head binds to an actin filament is called an actin-myosin cross bridge.

Step 6: Calcium ions activate the enzyme ATPase, which breaks down ATP (into ADP + Pi ) to provide the energy needed for muscle contraction

Step 7: The energy released from ATP moves the myosin head, which pulls the actin filament along in a kind of rowing action.

Step 8: ATP also provides the energy to break the action-myosin cross bridge, so the myosin head detaches from the actin filament after it's moved.

Step 9: The myosin head then reattached to a different binding site further along the actin filament. A new actin-myosin cross bridge is formed and the cycle is repeated.

Step 10: Many actin-myosin cross bridges form and break very rapdily, pulling the actin filament along, which shortens the sarcomere, causing the muscle to contract.

It's a long process but once you read it over a few times it makes sense

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.