Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    smiling is hard enough never mind being in a social situation and trying it. As for the unpleasent/messy side affects of drinking, I'm a big bloke and can quite happily tke 10 pints without throwing up or having a hangover. It's jus quite expensive and f*cks up your mind.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubilu)
    YES! you can think its a crock'o'crap but hynotherapy. i vas seriously shy with panic attacks and i am so must more at ease with myself now. it was £80 for a 2hr session and that was all i needed.
    iots definatly wortha try whether you belive in it or not.

lu x
    I'd love to try hypnotheraphy, but I'm just a bit freaked out by the prospect that I'm totally in that person's control. How do you go about finding a decent hypnotherapist, anyway?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    smiling is hard enough never mind being in a social situation and trying it
    I know...I feel like such a dunce grinning away...

And 8 times out of 10 they don't smile bacK!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    smiling is hard enough never mind being in a social situation and trying it. As for the unpleasent/messy side affects of drinking, I'm a big bloke and can quite happily tke 10 pints without throwing up or having a hangover. It's jus quite expensive and f*cks up your mind.

MB
    Yeah, but you can't be ratarsed all the time.

Smiling isn't really that hard, honest give it a go you'd be amazed how many people smile back.

ReputationRep:
    Shyness is a bad thing; all it is is a lack of confidence within yourself that comes out through meeting new people and conversations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Shyness is a bad thing; all it is is a lack of confidence within yourself that comes out through meeting new people and conversations.
    I've never met a conversation before.

ReputationRep:
    Shyness is a bad thing; all it is is a lack of confidence within yourself
    What reason do you have to be so confident with yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    Yeah, but you can't be ratarsed all the time.

Smiling isn't really that hard, honest give it a go you'd be amazed how many people smile back.

but I'm not a happy person - is smiling essential to not being shy?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    What reason do you have to be so confident with yourself?
    Since when am I "so confident" with myself? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I say the best way is to just be yourself. Smile like you don't care what people think - and why should you? If you do something silly or embarrassing put it down to style lol.

Easier said than done though!

ReputationRep:
    Since when am I "so confident" with myself? :confused:
    You didn't say that as such. You said:

"Shyness is a bad thing; all it is is a lack of confidence within yourself"

I was just commenting that a person needs a reason to instill them to be confident in themself and it's not something that can be altered with a click of the fingers.

ReputationRep:
    but I'm not a happy person - is smiling essential to not being shy?

MB
    When you smile it makes you look like a friendly person, so more people are likely to want to come up and speak to you, or want to talk to you should you approach them. I know that if I were at a party or somewhere, and I saw a guy sitting in the corner, or standing somewhere looking miserable, I'd be less likely to go up and say hi than if he looked happy. Strange, I know - but that's the way it goes for me.

The most important thing to not being shy is to be happy with yourself. Bloody hard to do, I know, but if you can at least be happy that you are who you are, then it should come easier to be happier with other people, too.

Maybe try smiling more on here, first? - the frown in your signature says you're not happy all the time, surely you're happy *sometime*? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to try hypnotheraphy, but I'm just a bit freaked out by the prospect that I'm totally in that person's control. How do you go about finding a decent hypnotherapist, anyway?!
    i got mine from my drama teacher, and i was scared of that as well but seriously it is nothing like how you would imagine, its not like stage hynotism, i had to stare at a light before closing my eyes and basicly its just a very relaxed state, and its not like you cant think... because u can so if your not confortable withanything its very easy to stop.. i wasnt even sure it was working but when i got up and thought it had been about 5 minutes when it was about 50......
    go for it seriously

lu x

ReputationRep:
    When you smile it makes you look like a friendly person, so more people are likely to want to come up and speak to you, or want to talk to you should you approach them. I know that if I were at a party or somewhere, and I saw a guy sitting in the corner, or standing somewhere looking miserable, I'd be less likely to go up and say hi than if he looked happy. Strange, I know - but that's the way it goes for me.

The most important thing to not being shy is to be happy with yourself. Bloody hard to do, I know, but if you can at least be happy that you are who you are, then it should come easier to be happier with other people, too.

Maybe try smiling more on here, first? - the frown in your signature says you're not happy all the time, surely you're happy *sometime*? :confused:

the frown in my sig is not going - it's from when I was a newb and was chucked out of the gentleman's league. I may add to it though.

MB

ReputationRep:
    the frown in my sig is not going - it's from when I was a newb and was chucked out of the gentleman's league. I may add to it though.

MB
    Hmm, fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Is there any cure (except for alcohol)?

MB
    You just overcome it, failing that, go out and purchase those ridiculously high priced 'self help' books, which only repeat what you know in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Failing the whole smiling idea - you could always dye your hair some outrageous colour! lol, that would definately make a good conversation starter, and people will instantly think you're the most confident, comfortable guy in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Failing the whole smiling idea - you could always dye your hair some outrageous colour! lol, that would definately make a good conversation starter, and people will instantly think you're the most confident, comfortable guy in the world.

did all that between the ages of 10 and 12. had dreds, green hair, bleached with purple stripes, a mohecan etc. I am a bit more conservative (little c and not politically) now.

ReputationRep:
    did all that between the ages of 10 and 12. had dreds, green hair, bleached with purple stripes, a mohecan etc. I am a bit more conservative (little c and not politically) now.
    Hmm - well then go for the all over colour midnight blue's always a nice colour for a guy to have his hair methinks :P

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - well then go for the all over colour midnight blue's always a nice colour for a guy to have his hair methinks :P

have you seen my pic? It really wouldn't go with anything.

MB

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.