Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Shyness watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    did all that between the ages of 10 and 12. had dreds, green hair, bleached with purple stripes, a mohecan etc. I am a bit more conservative (little c and not politically) now.
    Out of curiosity, 1154 days till what?

ReputationRep:
    have you seen my pic? It really wouldn't go with anything.

MB
    Wear a turban ala Aladdin Genie style?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Out of curiosity, 1154 days till what?
    nothing particular - just taking the piss out of people who have countdowns in their sigs.

MB

ReputationRep:
    nothing particular - just taking the piss out of people who have countdowns in their sigs.

MB
    Ah, it all suddenly seems so clear.

Maybe everyone isn't meant to be outgoing. How boring would it be if everyone had the same kind of personality? You probably just have to find ppl who like you just the way you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Ah, it all suddenly seems so clear.

what's clear?

MB

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm quite shy myself. I notice, however, that whenever I'm doing something that I'm very passionate about, like acting, I come out of being too shy and thinking about myself. When I'm acting I think about being the character and not about my emotions or how silly I might look. Acting might not work for you, but find something that makes you stop thinking about yourself. Maybe? Drama classes are also a good start anyway even if you don't intend to act.

Sorry if this comes off as being too preachy.

ReputationRep:
    You just have to believe that you are better than everybody else, there's no other way...

Maybe I could show you the ropes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    There's a difference between arrogance and general confidence within yourself though, a huge difference...

The difference being that you are genuinely secure about yourself, yet level headed.
    yep confidence could lead to arrogance, but not every arrogant people are confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    There's a difference between arrogance and general confidence within yourself though, a huge difference...

The difference being that you are genuinely secure about yourself, yet level headed.
    'Twas a joke, although there's a small measure of truth in it.

You have to back yourself, as few others will, and you need to be self-confident. If you're ambitious, a lot of people will try and knock you in life - don't count yourself amongst those people. Otherwise you're screwed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    UNIVERSITY
    That's bs.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, after ive read this post, i remember bak when i was a really shy person... Especially in drama, my face was so red... but that was normal because i was only a lil kid, my hormones were too strong so it made me quite sensitive to those sort of performing situations. But luckily, as i grew up, my face doesnt go as red anymore... and eventually i went from a really shy, dumb, unconfident person to a decently confident person. To me, i think it is normal to be shy when u r around even 12-14 yrs old? its jus ur hormones which make ur face go red thus make u shy... so dont blame urselves guys.... or maybe u jus cant control ur hormones? duno.

btw i do have some tips on being more confident. primarily, u jus need to figure ways to overcome it cuz its different for everyone. for me, i jus always 'pretend' to act smart and look cool. (although im not that smart) but if u keep on doing it, u will eventually absorb these characteristics to ur face.... thus u become a confident-looking arse, even tho u might not be that smart inside u... lol

life is like acting a play. jus pretend ur the king!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley)
    To me, i think it is normal to be shy when u r around even 12-14 yrs old? its jus ur hormones which make ur face go red thus make u shy... so dont blame urselves guys.
    Pretty much everyone here is 17-25. Thanks for the adviice anyway.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Is there any cure (except for alcohol)?

MB
    Like somebody said, if you appear confident(but not arrogant) people are automatically drawn to you. It helps to be into/good at some sort of sport.

If meeting groups of people for the first time-a good joke always goes down well...eases the formality. Or try getting good at card tricks, they always break the ice. http://web.superb.net/cardtric/

Oh...nice avatar too! What has Vienna said about it?!

ReputationRep:
    talk to more people, dont wait for others to start conversation with you, and dont be weird, just be normal
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Is there any cure (except for alcohol)?

MB
    Trite answer: life/time...or the quick cure - death ()

Realising that 90% of people around you are exactly the same they just deal with their shyness differently....and that the other 10% are jus plain odd

Realising that the only people who's opinion of you matter are a very very small subset of your loved ones - if the bloke down the road doesn't like you who gives a stuff

Learning to like who you are and always being able to laugh at yourself (it's interesting that there are quite a lot of "confident" appearing people aren't confident enough to handle a little micky taking)

Living your life for yourself not other people (because a miserable you isn't a nice person for your friends and loved ones to be around) - do what you need to to stay sane and you'll always be a lot more use to the people around you than someone who does everything they want but is desperately unhappy.

Oh and you can ALWAYS talk to people for hours on end and avoid awkward silences by simply asking them questions about themselves...it's amazing how many people don't realise that sometimes a conversation has to be prompted or jump started by letting the other person speak for a while and actually listening to what they say...

ReputationRep:
    People usually love talking about themselves, without the interruption.."Oh yeah, I did that too...". Just a reflection of humankind's inherently selfish and self-centred nature.

ReputationRep:
    I've found that having a job really helps. I was terribly shy during my youngers years at school and with ppl I didn't know would always stand back and look around and not at ppl, but over the past four years due to having a job and having to deal with ppl on a regular basis with helping them etc, I am a lot more confident. I am still shy where to the extent of saying having to give a talk in front of a group but ive learned to speak more slowly, and most importantly breathe! instead of trying to say it all in one go. Just believe in yourself.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.