The Student Room Group

Differentiation

Find y dx when
y= 3x^2 - x +6

This was on integration question paper so do i differentiate this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chelsea12345
To differentiate, do you take multiply by the power first then take 1 away from the power or do you take 1 from the power then multiply by the power?

The former.
ddx(axn)=anxn1\frac{d}{dx} (ax^n) = anx^{n-1}

That is multiply by the original power, then reduce the power by 1.
To differentiate, do you take multiply by the power first then take 1 away from the power or do you take 1 from the power then multiply by the power?

Multiply then take away. In other terms, ddx[xn]=nxn1 \frac{d}{dx} [x^n] = nx ^{n-1} , where n is a constant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the order doesn't matter, at least for simple differentiation:

y=ax^n => dy/dx = nax^(n-1)
Find y dx when
y= 3x^2 - x +6

This was on integration question paper so do i differentiate this?

No you need to integrate. Please don't change your questions like this. It makes the thread impossible to follow.
Original post by Mr M
No you need to integrate. Please don't change your questions like this. It makes the thread impossible to follow.

Apologies! And why integrate? Aren't you finding what the equation is after it has been differentiated since integration is the opposite of differentiation? I'm a bit confused on this.
Apologies! And why integrate? Aren't you finding what the equation is after it has been differentiated since integration is the opposite of differentiation? I'm a bit confused on this.

I'm assuming the question asked you to find ydx\int y \, dx ? If this is the case, replace y in the integral with the quadratic and then follow the instruction given by the integration symbol to integrate.
Original post by Mr M
I'm assuming the question asked you to find ydx\int y \, dx ? If this is the case, replace y in the integral with the quadratic and then follow the instruction given by the integration symbol to integrate.

yes it was. Thankyou, i think i get what the question is asking now.

Quick Reply

Latest