Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't like being touched Watch

Announcements

I don't like being touched which sounds really weird but it makes my skin crawl. If a friend puts their arm around me or pats me on the back it makes me feel really sick and it happens with family too (other than my mum). My friend jokingly tried to hold my hand and I felt like crying. Also, if i hand someone a pen or something and their hand accidentally brushes against mine it makes me want to scratch my hands. I don't know if it's just something silly and nothing to get worked up about or if it's something else.

Possibly traumatic past? Sexual or physical abuse can lead to people feeling uncomfortbale with touch. That used to make me freak out when touched. Or that might be a completely irrelevant suggestion to you.

Also, do you have an intense fear of germs?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fine, my friend has an aversion to necklaces and bracelets. She says they make her skin crawl and she feels sick. I suppose it would make day-to-day live quite difficult, so idk if you'd want to go to a professional to help deal with it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't like being touched which sounds really weird but it makes my skin crawl. If a friend puts their arm around me or pats me on the back it makes me feel really sick and it happens with family too (other than my mum). My friend jokingly tried to hold my hand and I felt like crying. Also, if i hand someone a pen or something and their hand accidentally brushes against mine it makes me want to scratch my hands. I don't know if it's just something silly and nothing to get worked up about or if it's something else.
    It's pretty common. It can be linked to traumatic events, special needs or other conditions, but some people just don't like to be touched. You might consider seeing somebody like a doctor, counsellor or therapist to see if you can work out a cause and improve it, but it's not some crazy unusual thing.
    Considering you are okay with your mum it might be something that improves with trust. Most people have a strong and unique bond with their mums, even compared to the rest of their family so maybe if you work on trusting other people and feeling comfortable around them you can start to improve this a little.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.