Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I am predicted A*A*A in geography, RS and Biology, and am currently planning on going to Trinity College Dublin to study geography.

I want to go here for a number of reasons, its located in the centre of a european capital city, its an ancient and prestigious university (best by far in Ireland) and its relatively close to home, (I live in belfast)

However, just yesterday my careers teacher told me I was crazy for not applying to Cambridge with my grades, and Trinity would be a waste of time. (I didn't apply to any UK universities...)

This shocked me, as i had never really thought about going to an oxbridge uni. Now however, i am reconsidering my plans to go to trinity dublin, and instead take a gap year and apply to cambridge.

Really my question is, will the chance of going to cambridge be worth postponing my education for a year? And how would Trinity college dublin compare with oxbridge in prestige and employability.

I know Cambridge is an amazing uni, but is it THAT much better than trinity college dublin?

Thanks for your time
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia488)
    So, I am predicted A*A*A in geography, RS and Biology, and am currently planning on going to Trinity College Dublin to study geography.

I want to go here for a number of reasons, its located in the centre of a european capital city, its an ancient and prestigious university (best by far in Ireland) and its relatively close to home, (I live in belfast)

However, just yesterday my careers teacher told me I was crazy for not applying to Cambridge with my grades, and Trinity would be a waste of time. (I didn't apply to any UK universities...)

This shocked me, as i had never really thought about going to an oxbridge uni. Now however, i am reconsidering my plans to go to trinity dublin, and instead take a gap year and apply to cambridge.

Really my question is, will the chance of going to cambridge be worth postponing my education for a year? And how would Trinity college dublin compare with oxbridge in prestige and employability.

I know Cambridge is an amazing uni, but is it THAT much better than trinity college dublin?

Thanks for your time
    Yes TCD is a good university, have you visited? The library is amazing... (but so are some of the libraries at Cambridge... )

I suggest you visit Cambridge (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...idge-open-days) and see for yourself.

And yes, there are Northern Irish students at Cambridge . The province actually has a pretty good success rate of applicants getting places.

Corpus Christi is the Cambridge liason college for NI. That doesn't mean you have to apply there, just that they organise outreach events in the province. It might be worth contacting them to see what they say.

http://www.corpus.cam.ac.uk/admissio...college-links/

There are also Oxbridge Student Conferences (jointly arranged with Oxford) where tutors and current students present info about courses and how to apply.

There's one in Lisburn in March. It would definitely be worth you going along.

https://www.oxfordandcambridgeoutrea...e/introduction

Oh, and one idea *might* be to ask TCD if they would let you defer your place to 2018, and then also apply to Cambridge knowing you have TCD sorted. Note, this strategy wouldn't work if you held a deferred place at a UK university because you would have to forgo it, but TCD, obviously, isn't a UK uni...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.