The Student Room Group

Is it possible for someone to hack into your webcam?

Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:
So I could be being watched right now as I type this?

Scroll to see replies

If they were really smart and dangerous then yes.
Yeah, happened to me once, really scary :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:

Yes it is possible, that's why many people put a post-it-note or something over their laptop's camera when they aren't using it.
Yes, people have been doing it ever since webcams were invented
Yes
Reply 6
But how??? My webcam lights up when being used so I'd notice if it started going shiny blue on its own.
Highly likely, some people on the dark/shadow web have rooms where its basically peoples webcams that they've hacked into, plus i doubt it takes much to actually do it.

My webcam is covered with multiple layers of tape and even so is my microphone...can't be too safe!
Original post by Rachel58
Yeah, happened to me once, really scary :frown:

How did you find out? :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by EC
But how??? My webcam lights up when being used so I'd notice if it started going shiny blue on its own.

Most hackers utilise Trojan horse , there are so many ways to hack a webcam.
Yes but most webcams now have a light which HAS to turn on when the camera is in use so you will know.
How did you find out? :frown:

I'm not sure if I was being 'watched', but I got this awful virus on my laptop, thought I got rid of it, then a few days later my webcam popped up for no reason then shut off again. A week later when I tried to turn my laptop on and got a message with a picture of myself displayed saying if I didn't give money to so and so, I'd go to jail.

Really bad virus, very annoying, luckily my dad got rid of it after that :smile:
Original post by Pikachū
Yes but most webcams now have a light which HAS to turn on when the camera is in use so you will know.

Original post by EC

A Trojan hack can easily bypass it and turn off the light so you won't know
Reply 13
Original post by LeTamoul
Most hackers utilise Trojan horse , there are so many ways to hack a webcam.

Yeah, but wouldn't the light turn on automatically, even if hacked?
Reply 14
Yes it is. Been stories of it happening to people, especially to underage boys/girls.

You're gorgeous, someone probably is spying on you through your webcam...
Original post by Kravence
A Trojan hack can easily bypass it and turn off the light so you won't know

iirc they get the current from the same wire so it's not possible to have one on without the other
Reply 17
Original post by Popsiclez
You're gorgeous, someone probably is spying on you through your webcam...

That's a bit creepy
Certainly, not sure my web cam is even supported by my OS so if they want to write a device driver just to hack me go for it :lol:

They need to compromise your computer first, if it's connected to a network they'll likely exploit flaws in the web browser to inject code into the system, usually due to your own stupidity (clicking on dangerous links which exploit browser vulnerabilities) it's dangerous because you don't even need higher privileges to use devices so they can do it without any issues really. There are ways to see which devices are being used and what they are sending, but it's perfectly possible for a really sophisticated hacker to know the system so well they can hide it.
Original post by AshEntropy
Yes it is possible, that's why many people put a post-it-note or something over their laptop's camera when they aren't using it.

That is scary. I have put blu-tack over mine now. :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest