Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible for someone to hack into your webcam? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    no i think it is possible to hack webcam of others

ReputationRep:
    I'm of the opinion that if a skilled hacker really wants to get into your system when they will (unless you're just as skilled at repulsing them). However, your average internet user will be reasonable safe as long as you don't do stupid things. Hackers, like most criminals, almost always go for the easy targets. A thief for example won't rob an police officer - they'll go for the elderly lady who'd be less capable of fighting back. Similarly, a hacker will generally target specific vulnerabilities that users have - they want maximum reward for minimum effort. There's always going to be users who aren't tech savvy who hackers can take advantage of which actually protects you in a way; why would they waste time & effort going after you when they could spend a lot less of both going after easier targets?

Don't do the following & should be ok:

Use the same password for every site.

Leave passwords in their default configuration or have the same password as your username.

Use the term "Password" in your passwords.

Download files from any untrusted websites or install unknown programs on your device.

Open attachments from unknown email addresses - phishing emails seem to getting more common (I had an email the other day that I thought looked a bit strange; I Googled the name & it turned out it was a scam that others had reported about).

Follow links from unknown email addresses even if the site it's linked to appears genuine.

Give out your bank details via websites, email or over the phone unless you are absolutely certain it's the real deal.

Use wireless keyboards to type in sensitive information (like bank details & passwords). Some experts even recommend to ditch them completely as some brands are so insecure.
    (http://www.csoonline.com/article/310...protected.html)

Plug compromised external media (like USB drives) into your device.

Do:

Keep your device updated with the latest bug releases, software patches etc

Use a decent Anti-Virus but don't rely on it to stop everything (as other more knowledgeable posters have already mentioned).

Regularly back-up important files, photos, videos etc to cloud storage or USB storage - if you have to wipe your drive because of infection then having all your important stuff backed up certainly eases the loss.

If you want to be particularly paranoid (probably isn't necessary for most users) then the following could also apply:

Disable/block your webcams & mics & avoid sending any explicit images that could be used against you in the future.

Disable Bluetooth as this can be hacked.

Avoid insecure Internet-of-Things devices & beware that even those that are supposedly secure can be hacked - there's apparently a case at the moment in the USA where the police are attempting to get voice recordings from an Amazon Echo speaker so it's worth remembering that devices with mics could be listening to every word you say.
    (https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/27/an...a-murder-case/)

Lock down your social media profile so that your home address, car registration, any kind of personal details your bank might ask you (including pet names for example), etc aren't visible either in photos/videos or mentioned in any posts to all those who aren't friends. If you want to be extreme then remove that info/pictures all together.

Avoid posting location statuses on social media especially if you're going on holiday - I know this seems a little extreme but imagine that you post a status on Facebook saying you're off to Florida for two weeks. Everyone on your Facebook feed now knows that your house, flat etc is now empty for that duration which makes it an easier target for thieves.

There's probably plenty of other things too I'm forgetting or just don't know enough about

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible, same goes for any smart tech with a camera I would think. I've always covered mine, I don't use Skype anymore so I don't even need to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I'm of the opinion that if a skilled hacker really wants to get into your system when they will (unless you're just as skilled at repulsing them).
    Excellent post overall (snipped because of the above part which I'll explain below). You've given a good foundation knowledge and there's plenty to expand upon.

I wouldn't outright say that cleaning Facebook, covering your webcam, etc. are necessarily excessive. It depends on how much you value your privacy. Do you really want everyone knowing every detail of your life and things like that.

In the same sort of vein, people might not be valuable now but what about in 5, 10 or 20 years? My head of school has said that now is the best time to be collecting data about people like us. Your data may not be valuable now but in 20 years you could be a prime target. All of a sudden all that old data your posted online comes back to haunt you. Knowing that you have X family, live at Y address and so on may now be enough to start social engineering against banks, utility companies and so on in order to get access to more dangerous information.

As for the bit I quoted above, it really boils down to one thing. The hacker always has more options. In the battle of hacker and defender, the defender has to patch absolutely everything. A hacker simply has to find one vulnerability to exploit. If they want to and they're good enough then they'll find a way in. But even if you are equally as good that won't be enough because a defender has so much more to do. Not to mention attackers are always ahead of defenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Excellent post overall (snipped because of the above part which I'll explain below). You've given a good foundation knowledge and there's plenty to expand upon.

I wouldn't outright say that cleaning Facebook, covering your webcam, etc. are necessarily excessive. It depends on how much you value your privacy. Do you really want everyone knowing every detail of your life and things like that.

In the same sort of vein, people might not be valuable now but what about in 5, 10 or 20 years? My head of school has said that now is the best time to be collecting data about people like us. Your data may not be valuable now but in 20 years you could be a prime target. All of a sudden all that old data your posted online comes back to haunt you. Knowing that you have X family, live at Y address and so on may now be enough to start social engineering against banks, utility companies and so on in order to get access to more dangerous information.

As for the bit I quoted above, it really boils down to one thing. The hacker always has more options. In the battle of hacker and defender, the defender has to patch absolutely everything. A hacker simply has to find one vulnerability to exploit. If they want to and they're good enough then they'll find a way in. But even if you are equally as good that won't be enough because a defender has so much more to do. Not to mention attackers are always ahead of defenders.
    I always find with modern tech I know if I'm being too paranoid or not paranoid enough. I had a brief at work & I remember walking out of it thinking that if an organisation or skilled hacker really wants to hack into my personal devices then they'll manage it eventually. It does seem as though the only way to not get hacked is to avoid being targeted in the first place - luckily the odds of a skilled or professional hacker coming after most people is very low.

But yeah it makes total sense what you say about the hacker having more options; it's a similar situation to counter-terrorism - the terrorist only has to get lucky once while the police/security services need to be lucky every time.

ReputationRep:
    using a RAT, yes. Or the national security agency.

(Original post by jessyjellytot14)
      Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer?
      So I could be being watched right now as I type this?
      Yeps. People have been doing exactly that since webcams were invented.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      Not likely. Antivirus MIGHT tell you if you have a virus but it's unlikely to do much in the way of telling you about your security.

It also encourages entirely the wrong approach to security:

"Oh it doesn't matter if I leave all the doors unlocked, it doesn't matter if serial killers walk into my home because I have a baseball bat to hit them with"

You should be preventing malware from entering the system in the first place, not letting it in and hoping that your antivirus will pick it up.
      So it would be the kind of thing the firewall should pick up?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
      So it would be the kind of thing the firewall should pick up?
      Not quite. Simplisticly firewalls control connections. If you were on a website and tried downloading some malware then a firewall might realise and stop the connection. But you'd suffer from the same issues, a firewall won't catch everything.

The issue is that you are trying to download in the first place and relying on a firewall or antivirus to protect you. Common sense should step in and stop you downloading in the first place. You shouldn't download and hope that a firewall or your antivirus will protect you.

Security options like firewalls and antivirus are not as effective as people think and there are often methods to circumvent them. Common sense should be the first line of defence in all cases, which will usually make antivirus unnecessary. Firewalls on the other hand are generally good to have regardless as they set up rules which define commnication. In theory not having a firewall would mean anyone can communicate with you in any way.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      Not quite. Simplisticly firewalls control connections. If you were on a website and tried downloading some malware then a firewall might realise and stop the connection. But you'd suffer from the same issues, a firewall won't catch everything.

The issue is that you are trying to download in the first place and relying on a firewall or antivirus to protect you. Common sense should step in and stop you downloading in the first place. You shouldn't download and hope that a firewall or your antivirus will protect you.

Security options like firewalls and antivirus are not as effective as people think and there are often methods to circumvent them. Common sense should be the first line of defence in all cases, which will usually make antivirus unnecessary. Firewalls on the other hand are generally good to have regardless as they set up rules which define commnication. In theory not having a firewall would mean anyone can communicate with you in any way.
      Oh ok, thanks
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Don't know if it's been mentioned in the last 8 pages or not but there's a great Black Mirror episode on someone hacking a kids webcam. Think it's in season 2, definitely worth a watch.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      That's really not true. A user rarely has to open the door themselves because an attacker will take advantage of some flaw with the users system, such as unpatched software to gain access. A user can do nothing and they can be attacked.

Using an "IP bouncer" will not stop someone hacking your computer. That is entirely laughable. It might make it harder but it certainly doesn't stop someone. Not to mention the odds of someone targeting you specifically is tiny. More likely is you'll download some malware online, for which your "IP bouncer" will do nothing.

Microsoft don't install malware on computers (except Windows Vista). If someone from Microsoft installed malware then it wasn't Microsoft. How do you even know you have malware, specifically a trojan on the machine? Office is not difficult to install and should not require a call to anyone. Judging from your lack of knowledge it seems more likely that you installed malware yourself, or unknowingly gave someone else access to your PC and they installed malware for you. Or there may in fact be absolutely no malware in the first place.

You are right, I've just given you the solution, for free, on a forum. If you have malware the only way you can be sure it is dealt with is to start from fresh. Sure some antivirus might succeed in scrubbing it but you can never be sure. Anyone that claims to be able to remove any type of malware without a reinstall is either exceptional (and thus won't be wasting their time on forums) or is a liar. If you want to get rid of the apparent malware you reinstall from scratch. But like I said there's absolutely no guarantee you've even got malware.
      I don't know whether to be amused or insulted by this comment. I can't tell if you are joking, but i clearly know more about it security then most people on this site.

If you have paid attention to what i had written earlier, you would have read that i did give someone from the internet control over my computer, which let me help me reinstall office.

And it is all very well you saying that office is easy to install, but this glitch, where it hangs at 80% of the install, is a known problem. As in other people on the internet had been experiencing it. Also when i said i will ask for help on the forums, regarding this issue, i didn't mean on tsr. I meant the dedicated it/anti virus forums on the web,

I have since done this, and have been given some good initial pieces of diagnostics links, to look in to it.

Also, i don't use an ip bouncer, but my connection uses a new ip address each times it connects to the internet. That is what i meant.

Don't get me wrong, you seem to be reasonably knowledgable regarding this field. But it is clear to me that you have never accessed illegal information on the net (hacking), thus despite your good intentions, you don't actually know that much right?

Sorry if this offends you, just calling it is as i see it!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by john2054)
      I don't know whether to be amused or insulted by this comment. I can't tell if you are joking, but i clearly know more about it security then most people on this site.

If you have paid attention to what i had written earlier, you would have read that i did give someone from the internet control over my computer, which let me help me reinstall office.

And it is all very well you saying that office is easy to install, but this glitch, where it hangs at 80% of the install, is a known problem. As in other people on the internet had been experiencing it. Also when i said i will ask for help on the forums, regarding this issue, i didn't mean on tsr. I meant the dedicated it/anti virus forums on the web,

I have since done this, and have been given some good initial pieces of diagnostics links, to look in to it.

Also, i don't use an ip bouncer, but my connection uses a new ip address each times it connects to the internet. That is what i meant.

Don't get me wrong, you seem to be reasonably knowledgable regarding this field. But it is clear to me that you have never accessed illegal information on the net (hacking), thus despite your good intentions, you don't actually know that much right?

You have a dynamic IP address, meaning your router assigns you a new IP address every so often or when you turn off your router. Nobody on this thread is knowledgeable about anything.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Naruke)
      You have a dynamic IP address, meaning your router assigns you a new IP address every so often or when you turn off your router. Nobody on this thread is knowledgeable about anything.
      Yes thanks, that is what i meant. So have you ever done hacking Naruke?

ReputationRep:
      Yes thanks, that is what i meant. So have you ever done hacking Naruke?
      No, but I'm educated.

The correct term for a 'IP bouncer' would be a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A VPN is the most basic thing to have if you'd like to achieve somewhat of an anonymity on the internet.

ReputationRep:
      No, but I'm educated.

The correct term for a 'IP bouncer' would be a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A VPN is the most basic thing to have if you'd like to achieve somewhat of an anonymity on the internet.
      Interesting, i don't think i used an ip bouncer, but a dynamic network address. Also it was interesting learning about VPNs (virtual protocol networks) i think.

I mean after a lot of trawling, and we're talking about 100s of pages here, i was once finally able to get some stuff of i think North Korea, and other confidential information which had been hacked and leaked.

I had also watched the Bradley Manning, Iraq video leaks ("Collateral damage", which were disturbing viewing, let me know if you want to watch them, and i can try and find you the links if you like?

Also you know, individual hackers/crackers, can hack systems for personal gain. But there is also a world wide movement, led by a hetrogenetic base (diiverse), which seeks goals beyond that of the individual. (anonymous)

It's like losing your virginity, or getting married. You can't know much about it, until you have actually been there, right??

ReputationRep:

Your posts here and from other posts I've seen on TSR suggest otherwise.

I'm aware you gave someone else access to your computer over the internet. You claimed that you gave Microsoft control and that they installed a trojan.

So why say you use an IP bouncer if you clearly do not? And why claim it helps stop people hacking you? You have a dynamically assigned IP address, just like many other people.

Accessing illegal information on the net =/= hacking. If I had accessed illegal materials do you really think I'd admit it on a public forum? Not only am I studying Forensic Computing at university but I have a small lab set up which I use to experiment with hacking in a legal and safe manner. So don't try and tell me I don't know much, especially when you claim a dynamic IP is an IP bouncer.

ReputationRep:
      Nobody on this thread is knowledgeable about anything.
      Yawn, this line of comment is getting boring. I've seen several users that have actually demonstrated they know what they're talking about, even if there is debate on some of the basic points. Saying nobody is knowledgeable about anything is hilarious. Yeah, nobody here is a "hacker". That doesn't mean nobody here has knowledge.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      Your posts here and from other posts I've seen on TSR suggest otherwise.

I'm aware you gave someone else access to your computer over the internet. You claimed that you gave Microsoft control and that they installed a trojan.

So why say you use an IP bouncer if you clearly do not? And why claim it helps stop people hacking you? You have a dynamically assigned IP address, just like many other people.

Accessing illegal information on the net =/= hacking. If I had accessed illegal materials do you really think I'd admit it on a public forum? Not only am I studying Forensic Computing at university but I have a small lab set up which I use to experiment with hacking in a legal and safe manner. So don't try and tell me I don't know much, especially when you claim a dynamic IP is an IP bouncer.
      I made a mistake over the wording. Listen buddy i was doing hacking, learning about it, and the various criminal networks which do it, whilst you were in diapers.

Nice try though. Keep up the good work okay? I'm sure your university forensics class will love to tell you all about how to break the law and steal other people's money/id?

Seriously have you ever watched mr robot with rami malek, it is full of useful hints, regarding the dark web, anonymous, network infiltration etc. You can actually learn quite a lot, when you realise that this isn't just another drama, written with zero sum input. As i said good luck....

ReputationRep:
      Put Blu Tack over the lens and microphone.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.