Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long is the Ideal application (the full 4000 characters? A page?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    The title says It all. I currently have 2400 characters. In size 12 font I have almost filled up a full page on Microsoft word. I think I remember teachers saying one page is better because they have to read so many... and thus keeping it brief can help and reduce waffling.

ReputationRep:
    I think mine was about 3500 characters/40 lines

ReputationRep:
    Very close to 4k
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James385)
    The title says It all. I currently have 2400 characters. In size 12 font I have almost filled up a full page on Microsoft word. I think I remember teachers saying one page is better because they have to read so many... and thus keeping it brief can help and reduce waffling.
    Application for what?

UCAS? If so: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...onal-statement

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the admissions tutors won't give you brownie points for saving them half a minute more of reading.

It's better to have 4000 characters of genuinely good stuff than 2400 characters. And I'd also wager that 2400 characters of good stuff + 1600 characters of guff is better than just 2400 characters of good stuff. Loads of other people will have guff, but you'll stand out for being shorter than everyone else, which will create the impression that you don't have much to say about yourself.

I could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 3,133. I felt I had covered every aspect that should be of relevance and any additional information just felt like fluff.

ReputationRep:
    I recall mine was around 3,950 characters and exactly 47 lines.

If you're only at 2,400 characters perhaps you can ask yourself whether you are going into enough depth? It could be that you are giving a good breadth of everything but lacking the specifics that admissions tutors may be interested in? For example on my statement I stated that I volunteered with the HART paramedics but found I had extra characters, so I went into more depth about being allowed to use their simulated body to practice cannulation and how that gave me a respect for the job these folks do.

You have 4,000 characters to really show the admissions tutors who you are, I am sure your life fits into more than 2,400 characters. .

ReputationRep:
    So far I have tried to keep it precise without waffling (was told that is good). I can add more stuff no doubt. I guess what spongebob said is really answering what i was wondering... is it better me having a shorter but high quality application... perhaps not... it is likely a safer bet to add some relevant waffle to get it up to 4000.

ReputationRep:
    I guess what spongebob said is really answering what i was wondering...
    Spongebob is never wrong my boy.

Name:  UeYJPZ5.png
Views: 114
Size:  369.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 3,400 at 42 lines
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    For a UCAS PS 3,400-3,600 characters with paragraphs will hit the line deadline (and from the point of view of someone who reads PSs this is preferable to 4,000 characters of barely formatted wall of text).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    For a UCAS PS 3,400-3,600 characters with paragraphs will hit the line deadline (and from the point of view of someone who reads PSs this is preferable to 4,000 characters of barely formatted wall of text).
    Oh ok so it's characters (with spaces) on microsoft word instead of characters (no spaces). That makes things easier.

ReputationRep:
    Size 12 font and it being a paragraph on word are irrelevant (assuming you are talking about a UCAS statement). When you upload it you'll have to copy it into the UCAS editor so size and length elsewhere become irrelevant.

It's also worth mentioning that unless things changed in the last year, UCAS does not have anything like tabbing. If you want paragraphs you need to use line breaks. Naturally this eats up your line count. You may end up with 40 lines of actual content because you hit the character count sooner and you need to include some formatting. Also be aware that character and line counts are different between Word and UCAS. Copy and paste it in regularly to see how you are doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.