Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am 18 and on a gap year. I already have a place at a uni for chem eng( + placement year ) but trying to get some work experience in this field before I start. Most websites I have tried require you to be already studying the degree. Do I have to email/contact local startup companies or something???

ReputationRep:
    Bumpppp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's not really any point to be honest, the work experience you get will be pretty much irrelevant to what you do at uni and likely in your placement year too.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Help_me1)
    So I am 18 and on a gap year. I already have a place at a uni for chem eng( + placement year ) but trying to get some work experience in this field before I start. Most websites I have tried require you to be already studying the degree. Do I have to email/contact local startup companies or something???
    As already said, it's not needed.

And as you have found, it's hard to get but have you looked at http://www.etrust.org.uk/year-industry/vacancies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    As already said, it's not needed.

And as you have found, it's hard to get but have you looked at http://www.etrust.org.uk/year-industry/vacancies

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I will check it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Help_me1)
    Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. I definitely agree with the advice given above. That if you've already got a place, anything you do now will seem insignificant compared to any placements you do during your degree. Before starting the course you just don't have enough knowledge to get any really good work experience.

However if you're looking to do it just to get an insight into a Chemical Engineering focused company then it might be worth emailing some slightly smaller companies just asking if you could come in and have a look or shadow one of their employees. I struggled with finding anything in the field at your age too and didn't find the big companies very helpful, however I emailed some smaller ones and one of them invited me in for a week!

Hope that helps! If you've got any more questions, just quote me.

Tim

ReputationRep:
    Try a year in industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. I definitely agree with the advice given above. That if you've already got a place, anything you do now will seem insignificant compared to any placements you do during your degree. Before starting the course you just don't have enough knowledge to get any really good work experience.

However if you're looking to do it just to get an insight into a Chemical Engineering focused company then it might be worth emailing some slightly smaller companies just asking if you could come in and have a look or shadow one of their employees. I struggled with finding anything in the field at your age too and didn't find the big companies very helpful, however I emailed some smaller ones and one of them invited me in for a week!

Tim
    Hi, do you mind saying some of the dorms you tried and which ones were helpful?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnk191)
    Hi, do you mind saying some of the dorms you tried and which ones were helpful?
    Dorms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi,

Tim

Hi!!
    im almost positive that I would like to apply for chemical engineering for 2018 entry, but I have some questions! please PM me. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Dorms?
    I meant which ones* You applied to. Facepalm moment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.