Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you go out with someone on minimum wage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    What about minimum wage with no ambition to pursue anything higher?
    Not necessarily a deal breaker, money isn't everything.

To be honest I've been questioning what I want a lot in life lately. And being consumed by work is not it. So if someone does not want to pursue a good career, so long as something makes them happy and they can make ends meet (which depending on life style and where you live, minimum wage does just fine, especially if joint income household) then I see no problem with it.

Financial success just isn't that important to me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't irrespective of age. A big part of relationships for me is parity, and I wouldn't want to have to support someone I was in an LDR with. However, I'll admit that there is a big difference between working on MW during term-time and holidays as a student, and considering it to be your only career option later on in life.

ReputationRep:
    Are you like... The gay or whatever?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, when you're thinking about making a family with this one person, you need to sometimes think about the money. Obviously, when you get kids, you have to pay off their tuition, school trips, stationary and stuff whilst paying off your bills and stuff. So, if you obviously have a decent amount of wage but your parnter doesn't then it's okay but if you're both getting really low money then it's sort of a problem.

ReputationRep:

I feel oddly confident about this poster's romantic prospects.
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpgavatar2965268_2.gif.jpg (3.8 KB)

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumstances. People look down on minimum wage workers (speaking from experience). I''m referring to those in their 30's still working in low pay jobs such as retail, cleaners, etc. In my opinion, minimum wage jobs are for students new to the job market or immigrants who just arrived in the country. A lot of minimum wage workers tend to be uneducated and have a lack of ambition to improve their quality of life. But to each his or her own.

ReputationRep:
    Meh it's a hard one tbh.

Would I want to be with a girl who was unemployed? Well it always depends on the individual and circumstances, but I want someone with their own financial independence and who won't be a burden on me in that respect.

If we're together and we mess up financially, that's different, but someone who from the get go is having to be supported by me in some manner? No thanks.

Even if you're on minimum wage, as long as you work full time and put the effort in it's good enough.

(Original post by Planetpink)
      Hi Everyone!

As you've guessed I'm a girl on minimum wage. I feel like someone's career and future prospects has a relation to attracting a partner. I'm just very insecure. I work as a kitchen assistant on minimum wage and feel like I won't find a girlfriend.

I'm really shy and find it hard to meet new people, like I literally can't push myself to approach someone. I feel like I suffer from social anxiety too and I get really sad and emotional all the time for no reason.

Anyway would you take into consideration someones earning potential when thinking about being in a relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      At the bottom, the only way is up.

Until late October, I was engaged to a woman who was on minimum wage, part time.

Relationships are complicated and hard enough when there's only people involved. Don't let money get in the way too.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      Until late October, I was engaged to a woman who was on minimum wage, part time.
      Many congratulations, and I hope you've upped the rate since her going full-time

(Original post by cambio wechsel)
        Many congratulations, and I hope you've upped the rate since her going full-time
        :sigh:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by l'etranger)
        So how come roadmen who are literally living in council estates who have a net worth of less than 20k get more pussy than most guys on TSR?
        I've always thought about this. I think it's because women also look for status in a guy, and a road man tends to have that - the other road men give him respect and he'll have a large social group. IMO, women don't often date loners, but they do go for guys that are liked and respected by others...which suggests they like status.

And I guess roadmen tend to go for other road girls or younger girls who are naive and ignorant of life. Girls like guys who have that extra flare or wild side to them, which is why they so often go for bad boys. It's just that when they get older they need to start settling down and have kids, and that's when they end up going for a "good guy", for practical reasons.

Hence you can see why lots of guys on TSR fail to get pussy. They tend to be boring, skinny-fat guys who spend most of their time on TSR and other social media, and when they aren't procrastinating (which is most of the time), then they do their essays or a bit of revising. Most girls find that lifestyle a big turn off.

That's what I think anyway.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Anonymous)
        As a rule of thumb, guys aren't really bothered by the income of a woman, and women are bothered about the income of a guy.
        That is not necessarily true every time.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
        I've always thought about this. I think it's because women also look for status in a guy, and a road man tends to have that - the other road men give him respect and he'll have a large social group. IMO, women don't often date loners, but they do go for guys that are liked and respected by others...which suggests they like status.

And I guess roadmen tend to go for other road girls or younger girls who are naive and ignorant of life. Girls like guys who have that extra flare or wild side to them, which is why they so often go for bad boys. It's just that when they get older they need to start settling down and have kids, and that's when they end up going for a "good guy", for practical reasons.

Hence you can see why lots of guys on TSR fail to get pussy. They tend to be boring, skinny-fat guys who spend most of their time on TSR and other social media, and when they aren't procrastinating (which is most of the time), then they do their essays or a bit of revising. Most girls find that lifestyle a big turn off.

That's what I think anyway.
        i'm a girl and I dont.

ReputationRep:
        Don't really need a specific figure but I think the personality type I prefer would not be the sort of person who'd stay in a minimum wage job long term. I've worked low paid (albeit not min wage) jobs since uni to get relevant experience in my field so I'm not gonna judge someone in a low paid job but I would need them to have ambitions and plans

ReputationRep:
        I would, personality>income

ReputationRep:
        I personally don't think money should be an issue when it comes to dating someone?! So long as you have feelings for them (and they have feelings for you) then i don't see the problem! I wouldn't be bothered by a person's financial situation so long as they're kind

(I'm kind of biased though as I only earn £5 /per hour :P)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by NobleLeather)
        Yet that's what women care about the most
        I'm female, I literally don't care at all. Just because certain men keep repeating that doesn't make it true. There are just as many male freeloaders and social climbers.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by student004)
        i'm a girl and I dont.
        What girls say, compared to what they actually do, tend to be two different things.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Planetpink)
        Hi Everyone!

As you've guessed I'm a girl on minimum wage. I feel like someone's career and future prospects has a relation to attracting a partner. I'm just very insecure. I work as a kitchen assistant on minimum wage and feel like I won't find a girlfriend.

I'm really shy and find it hard to meet new people, like I literally can't push myself to approach someone. I feel like I suffer from social anxiety too and I get really sad and emotional all the time for no reason.

Anyway would you take into consideration someones earning potential when thinking about being in a relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        It wouldn't be a problem as long as you can pay your own way and don't expect someone else to pay for everything. Loads of people work in minimum wage as long as you have a sweet personality and the person finds you attractive then your job shouldn't be a problem.
        I worked in retail years ago and i usually saved up my money so wasn't always skint and managed to pay everything myself and not rely on anyone else.
        As you are a girl it shouldn't be a problem wouldn't be a problem to me.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
        What girls say, compared to what they actually do, tend to be two different things.
        What you're saying is generalising. It's not true for everyone.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.