Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi.

I am seriously overweight (69kg-last time i checked-also I'm in yr 10) and i desperately need help because when i look at myself its scary. I have always been fat since i was born but and i do have overactive thyroid (which causes weight gain) but is there ant tips please????

i eat very healthily (i love my fruits ) but i am aware i need to do more exercise. i go swimming once a week but i am very busy with tuitions and and homework that i don't do much exercise at home. my mum shouts at me for being fat which often leads to me crying and cutting (i know its bad please no comments on this).

I really want to lose weight during the next few weeks please leave ant tips??????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi.

I am seriously overweight (69kg-last time i checked-also I'm in yr 10) and i desperately need help because when i look at myself its scary. I have always been fat since i was born but and i do have overactive thyroid (which causes weight gain) but is there ant tips please????

i eat very healthily (i love my fruits ) but i am aware i need to do more exercise. i go swimming once a week but i am very busy with tuitions and and homework that i don't do much exercise at home. my mum shouts at me for being fat which often leads to me crying and cutting (i know its bad please no comments on this).

I really want to lose weight during the next few weeks please leave ant tips??????????
    Hello there, can I ask what your height is? Whether you are overweight or not is dependent on your height and not on your weight. If your thyroid problem is causing you to gain weight then it is probably under active. Are you being treated for that? Also if exercise is not an option, the only way is to control your food intake. I do not think it is safe to go on a very low calorie diet, and it will probably take a while, but if it takes longer, it gives you time to adjust to a healthier lifestyle and you would be more likely to maintain your weight. You could try downloading an app like myfitnesspal where you can record the calories you are having and how much exercise you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi.

Weight loss takes more than a few weeks, and "weight loss fast" is not a clever thing to do.

Overactive thyroid is typically associated with weight loss, not weight gain. Are you sure you have it? Or did you mean to write under active? Are you on medication for the condition? As the medication should correct problems it causes with weight not associated to your diet. However it is still up to you not to overeat, which causes weight gain.

Your mum shouting at you for your weight is wrong and cruel, and I'm sorry she does that. However your actions (cutting) are your own. While I can sympathise and relate, it is up to you to stop that behaviour. It is not an appropriate or helpful coping mechanism. I know you said not to mention it, but frankly I won't ignore it. I give people the advice they need, not the advice they want.

As for losing weight. It's actually very simple once you understand how it works. It may be complicated slightly due to under active thyroid. But Like I said if you're on medication for it, it should correct these problems and you should generally speaking be able to lose weight just like everyone else.

Weight loss is about eating less calories than your body burns. If you eat less than your body burns then your body needs to find the missing energy from somewhere, this is usually in the form of fat (though some muscle degradation also occurs). Your body breaks down your fat cells to utilise the stored energy to make up the deficit.

So how much do you need to eat? Well that is completely dependant on your height, weight, age, gender and activity level. And to some degree also your thyroid condition, however medication should correct this to hopefully make it irrelevant in the equation. This sum of factors make up your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure).

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you need to eat in a day to maintain your weight. If you eat more that your TDEE then you gain weight, if you eat less you will lose weight. To find out your TDEE just google TDEE calculator, pick one off the search list and input your stats (height, age, weight, gender, activity level - some will also ask for body fat% but if you don't know it, use another calculator). Be completely honest with your activity level, and when trying to lose weight. It is always better to underestimate your activity level than overestimate.

So how much less do you need to eat to lose weight and at what rate? Well 1lb of fat contains approximately 3500 calories in stored energy. So if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day, giving you a 500 calories deficit if you times that by 7 (days in the week) that equals 3500 calories. Therefore you should lose approximately 1lb in a week.

It really is that simple.

I recommend using a website like my fitness pal to count and track your calories. And it is a good idea to weigh out non pre-portioned things (like cereal for example) to see how much and how many calories you are really eating. Chances are 35g of cereal is a lot less than you think it is, and you may actually be eating more like 50-60gs. Just as an example.

Weight loss is purely about calories. However health is another matter. While you don;t have to eat only clean and healthy food to lose weight (you can eat just pizza and still lose weight so long as you are in a deficit (under your TDEE) ). It is however important for your health to try to eat a balanced and varied diet. Eat foods that keep you fuller longer and that make you feel good and happy. There is no need to only eat lettuce and chicken if it makes you miserable! You don't need to follow any silly or unsustainable diets like low carb, low fat, low protein etc. They're pointless unless you need to do those for actual health reasons. You won't lose weight any quicker on low carb than on normal carb levels if the calories are the same in each diet. It's the calories that count.

Last piece of advice, is lose the "I want to lose weight quick" attitude. You will fail if you see it like that. Weight loss is about understanding what and how much you are eating and making long term SUSTAINABLE changes. I wouldn't advise you try to lose more than 1lb per week. Very obese people and large men and can hope to lose 2lbs per week, but from your weight I assume you are a woman, and most women cannot healthily or sustainable lose more than 1lb per week.

Also the weight might not come off the scale like clockwork. That is perfectly normal. It;s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few lbs per day as well. however if you see no weight loss after around 4 weeks then you either:

1) have not been counting calories accurately and have been eating more calories than you think.
    2) Your TDEE is inaccurate and you may need to cut your calories further, say by another 250.

You may find weight loss stalling as you lose weight. This is normal, and you may need to recalculate your TDEE as you go. This is because your TDEE lowers the less you weight. So What may have been a 500 calorie deficit when you started at 69kg may only be say for example a 300 calorie deficit when you are down to say for example 55kg.

Once you are at a weight you are happy with recalculate your TDEE and make an effort to on average eat that many calories per day.

hope this helped, feel free to ask any questions if there is something you don't understand,

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.