Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please help with the questions in this tutorial sheet.

I am given a table of mass, Cp and enthalpy f and c data. So ask if more info is needed.

3. When 2.25 mg of anthracene, C14H10(s), was burned in a bomb calorimeter the temperature rose by 1.35 K. Calculate the calorimeter constant (the heat capacity of the calorimeter). By how much will the temperature rise when 135 mg of phenol, C6H5OH(s), is burned in the calorimeter under the same conditions? enthalpy change of combustion for C14H10(s) = -7061 kJ mol-1, enthalpy change for combustion for C6H5OH(s) = -3054 kJ mol-1
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewTG)
    Please help with the questions in this tutorial sheet.

I am given a table of mass, Cp and enthalpy f and c data. So ask if more info is needed.

3. When 2.25 mg of anthracene, C14H10(s), was burned in a bomb calorimeter the temperature rose by 1.35 K. Calculate the calorimeter constant (the heat capacity of the calorimeter). By how much will the temperature rise when 135 mg of phenol, C6H5OH(s), is burned in the calorimeter under the same conditions? enthalpy change of combustion for C14H10(s) = -7061 kJ mol-1, enthalpy change for combustion for C6H5OH(s) = -3054 kJ mol-1
    To work out the specific heat capacity you would use.

E = mcΔT

But for a calorimeter all of the individual masses and specific heat capacities are bundled up into one constant, called the heat capacity of the system

E = heat capacity x ΔT

where the heat capacity is the energy required to change the temperature of the whole system (in this case a bomb calorimeter) by 1ºC

heat capacity = energy input/ΔT

If you know the mass of a substance burned and its enthalpy of combustion you can work out how much energy it releases.

Then use the relationship above..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    To work out the specific heat capacity you would use.

E = mcΔT

But for a calorimeter all of the individual masses and specific heat capacities are bundled up into one constant, called the heat capacity of the system

E = heat capacity x ΔT

where the heat capacity is the energy required to change the temperature of the whole system (in this case a bomb calorimeter) by 1ºC

heat capacity = energy input/ΔT

If you know the mass of a substance burned and its enthalpy of combustion you can work out how much energy it releases.

Then use the relationship above..
    by energy do you mean q in kj or the enthalphy change given in the question
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    by energy do you mean q in kj or the enthalphy change given in the question
    The enthalpy change in the question is the energy released per mole of compound combusted.

You can use this and the number of moles burned to find the actual energy, q, released.

Then with the temperature change you can find the heat capacity of the apparatus.

ReputationRep:
    The enthalpy change in the question is the energy released per mole of compound combusted.

You can use this and the number of moles burned to find the actual energy, q, released.

Then with the temperature change you can find the heat capacity of the apparatus.
    Thank you that helped a lot.

ReputationRep:

I would also like some help on question 6. (The weird square sumbols just Mean the delta triangle in enthalpy change symbol, the o is the theta for standard conditions). The U part confuses me.

6. Given the reactions (1) and (2) below, determine (all at 298 K)

(a) rHo and rUo for reaction (3)
    (b) fHo for both HI(g) and H2O(g)

(1) H2(g) + I2(s) → 2 HI(g) rHo = +52.96 kJ mol-1
    (2) 2 H2(g) + O2(g) → 2 H2O(g) rHo = -483.64 kJ mol-1
    (3) 4 HI(g) + O2(g) → 2 I2(s) + 2 H2O(g)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would also like some help on question 6. (The weird square sumbols just Mean the delta triangle in enthalpy change symbol, the o is the theta for standard conditions). The U part confuses me.

6. Given the reactions (1) and (2) below, determine (all at 298 K)

(a) rHo and rUo for reaction (3)
    (b) fHo for both HI(g) and H2O(g)

(1) H2(g) + I2(s) → 2 HI(g) rHo = +52.96 kJ mol-1
    (2) 2 H2(g) + O2(g) → 2 H2O(g) rHo = -483.64 kJ mol-1
    (3) 4 HI(g) + O2(g) → 2 I2(s) + 2 H2O(g)
    It's just Hess' law.

double equation 1 and flip it round (do the same to the energy value)
    add equation 2 (do the same to the energy)
    This gives the enthalpy change of equation 3.

I suppose ΔU is the internal energy change

and

ΔH = ΔU + PΔV

assume molar quantities and standard conditions to calculate ΔU

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.