Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference? Is one to an extent 'better' than the other? Or does it not make a difference? (this is about a degree concerning maths with business management).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeeIam)
    What's the difference? Is one to an extent 'better' than the other? Or does it not make a difference? (this is about a degree concerning maths with business management).
    That entirely depends on what YOU like and want to achieve in the future. If you're interested in other subjects other than Mathematics and would like to learn along side it, then joint honours are for you. If not, then straight Maths. Regardless in what you choose, you can still get into the exact same careerr. Degree title really doesn't mean anything, especially for Maths.

Major/minor degrees are degrees which consist of learning 75% a certain subject (major), and 25% on a different one (minor). Joint honours are split 50/50.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a question of weight and thus depends on where your interest lies and what you want to do in the future.

A joint honours would be called Maths and Business management which would mean that both subjects have equal weight to your overall degree
    whereas a major/minor Maths with Business management means that you mostly study maths with a bit of business on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tols)
    It's just a question of weight and thus depends on where your interest lies and what you want to do in the future.

A joint honours would be called Maths and Business management which would mean that both subjects have equal weight to your overall degree
    whereas a major/minor Maths with Business management means that you mostly study maths with a bit of business on the side.
    Oh I was just kinda worried that doing one of these degrees could be seen as idk less desirable but yeah I get it, I've applied to do maths with business management hence listed as a major/minor degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    That entirely depends on what YOU like and want to achieve in the future. If you're interested in other subjects other than Mathematics and would like to learn along side it, then joint honours are for you. If not, then straight Maths. Regardless in what you choose, you can still get into the exact same careerr. Degree title really doesn't mean anything, especially for Maths.

Major/minor degrees are degrees which consist of learning 75% a certain subject (major), and 25% on a different one (minor). Joint honours are split 50/50.
    I've applied for maths with business management and therefore it's a 75/25 split but I was just questioning it because I kinda think I'd like to do a 100% maths degree. But I've already applied so yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeeIam)
    I've applied for maths with business management and therefore it's a 75/25 split but I was just questioning it because I kinda think I'd like to do a 100% maths degree. But I've already applied so yeah
    You can change to straight Maths if you get an offer. Lots of uni offer optional modules on other subjects, so if you do decide to go with straight Maths you'll still be able to do Economics, Comp Sci and even humanities modules (you'll have to check if the uni you've applied to offer these options).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.