Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 20 years old and identify as a biromantic asexual.
    I've never had a relationship (due to lack of desire, really) but am recently curious about it.
    However I'm nervous about even attempting one due to my asexuality.
    Has anybody here who is also asexual have a relationship and how did it work out? e.g. did you have sex just for your partner? refuse sex and break up? or what????
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    How would a relationship differ from a friendship for you?

(Original post by unprinted)
    How would a relationship differ from a friendship for you?
    The answer probably won't really make sense to anyone else but for me it's about emotional bonding??? I understand you do that with friends but sometimes I have felt it closer to other people, and that is when I've had feelings.

ReputationRep:
    I identify exactly as you do, Anon, I am 20 also.

I struggled at first, telling my partner that sex wasn't on the table at all as at the time, it truly appalled me and I couldn't process it in my head, anything/everything about sex confused and disturbed me.

A whole year later, we're in a great place. Lots and lots of constant communication about how we were feeling, how we both think and how to reach compromises. I remember reading this report once on 'sex with an asexual', and it rather bluntly insisted that "to compromise on an asexual's attitudes about sex is as bad as rape", which scared me initially. Was that true? "Is that how it should be?" I thought.

No, no that's NOT how it should be and "it's different for every asexual" is so very true.

From my point of view, I personally still do not feel any desire, want or chemical urge to have sex with my partner. However the want to please them, entertain them, give myself to them is enough for me to pursue it further. We get different things out of sex, but ultimately bond over the intimacy and how close (literally) we can get. It really fuses us, which I don't mind.

To answer your question (in a roundabout way), a relationship with an asexual is totally possible, and common, and shouldn't be scary! It involves a lot more communication for sure, but you'll find that opening that fluid, constantly-flowing channel of communication will benefit you and your partner is a lot more ways than just your sex life! Please always be clear and honest with your partner regarding any sexual activity you may partake with them.. it might be awkward to initially be that honest but I promise, it's worth it. The more unfortunate outcomes of miscommunication can be.. quite honestly heartbreaking.

They may not understand, they may assume and they may overstep boundaries, but they're human and must be forgiven and educated.. they deserve a healthy, functional sexual encounter as much as an asexual does!

Best wishes on your adventures!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.