Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you grade my poetry paragraph? Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 9 and I was a level 7.5 ,which is equivalent to a middle C, in Poetry in the last term, I just want to see around what level/grade this would be, and if this is an improvement and a higher grade. Of course, this is only one paragraph, but you can understand what quality my whole essay would be by this. Thank you in advance :]

In the poem, ''Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep" by Mary Elizabeth Frye, the author states that there is a voice beyond the grave, so the author commands the relative not to be upset because it says "Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there; I do not sleep." Firstly, the author gets straight to the point on the main theme of the poem – death, and consoling, which is echoed throughout the poem, with the words ‘grave’, (setting) and ‘weep’ (emotion). Mary Elizabeth Frye adopts a persona as someone who has passed away. This implies that Mary Elizabeth Frye does not want, when she is deceased, for relatives/ family to cry for her, shown in the word ‘weep’. This could support the belief that Mary Elizabeth Frye believes in afterlife, she if reincarnated and changes into a different body, mainly shown in ‘I am not there; I do not sleep’. However, it can also give the impression that there isn’t afterlife, she is always in their memories and thoughts; which has more of a metaphorical meaning. It also gives the impression that you should not be scared of death. However, truthfully, Mary’s mother died and she never had to time to grieve and this is reflecting her experience, consequently, this gives me the impression that it could be out of regret or anger due to not thinking about her parents enough. This gives the imagery that maybe she is everywhere, and giving a symbolic message that she is always there for her family. They will always be with her, therefore there is no need to be disheartened and ‘weep’. In the tone of the sentence, certain words are emphasised, the ‘not’ ‘at’ ‘grave’ ‘weep’. This is used to get the message across, that there is no need to be troubled, and by repeating them certain words it gives us the picture that Mary Elizabeth Frye is being slightly harsh, but is being cruel to be kind as having an angry tone at the grieving person can upset them, the purpose is to tell them, death shall not be feared this is similar to the ‘not’ that is repeated 3 times, that it is to tell console the grieving family member. This is a compound complex sentence, due to a run on line on the first sentence, as there is no punctuation, it was used to both equal 8 words for each line, so the last word of each line rhymes, which that part is AA, the whole rhyme scheme will be ‘aabbccddeeff’. If you notice, the rhyme scheme has a consistency, which relates to the consistent cycle of life and death. The semi colon is to link the sentence together because, they are both supporting and highlighting that she is dead, therefore there is no need to be upset. The word ‘weep’ is used to suggest being upset, and crying, it is shocking to us, because Mary Elizabeth Frye, said ‘not’ to weep’. The writer deliberately wanted to shock us and think about the meaning of the poem and her viewpoint. This links to the idea of sadness and grief, the theme of the poem, it is making us make an inference; and think that you don’t need to be cry over death, she is still there, not physically but mentally. This tells me at the time this was written was written that emotion wasn’t shown a lot, many people didn’t think it was normal. Another original alternative to this could be that she has bitterness from her past, and wants others to feel her pain, Mary wants others to feel the same pain she did, she didn’t ‘weep’ either. Also, to effect the reader, it has a dramatic impact in the extract, with the words ‘do not stand at my grave and weep’. It creates an image of someone grieving at a grave, it also interests the reader, as an opening sentence, it makes the reader wonder why that is being stated; it is abnormal for someone to think that or that harsh. In conclusion, this shows how death has a comforting, yet sad, and inspirational view. In my opinion, I agree to an extent that you do not have to be upset over death, but it is normal for us to feel emotion, when reminded of the tragedy that is the death of a loved one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryWallwork)
    I am currently in Year 9 and I was a level 7.5 in Poetry in the last term, I just want to see around what level/grade this would be, and if this is an improvement and a higher grade. Thank you in advance :]

Firstly, the author gets straight to the point on the main theme of the poem – death, and consoling, which is echoed throughout the poem, with the words ‘grave’, (setting) and ‘weep’ (emotion). Mary Elizabeth Frye adopts a persona as someone who has passed away. This implies that Mary Elizabeth Frye does not want, when she is deceased, for relatives/ family to cry for her, shown in the word ‘weep’. This could support the belief that Mary Elizabeth Frye believes in afterlife, she if reincarnated and changes into a different body, mainly shown in ‘I am not there; I do not sleep’. However, it can also give the impression that there isn’t afterlife, she is always in their memories and thoughts; which has more of a metaphorical meaning. It also gives the impression that you should not be scared of death. However, truthfully, Mary’s mother died and she never had to time to grieve and this is reflecting her experience, consequently, this gives me the impression that it could be out of regret or anger due to not thinking about her parents enough. This gives the imagery that maybe she is everywhere, and giving a symbolic message that she is always there for her family. They will always be with her, therefore there is no need to be disheartened and ‘weep’. In the tone of the sentence, certain words are emphasised, the ‘not’ ‘at’ ‘grave’ ‘weep’. This is used to get the message across, that there is no need to be troubled, and by repeating them certain words it gives us the picture that Mary Elizabeth Frye is being slightly harsh, but is being cruel to be kind as having an angry tone at the grieving person can upset them, the purpose is to tell them, death shall not be feared this is similar to the ‘not’ that is repeated 3 times, that it is to tell console the grieving family member. This is a compound complex sentence, due to a run on line on the first sentence, as there is no punctuation, it was used to both equal 8 words for each line, so the last word of each line rhymes, which that part is AA, the whole rhyme scheme will be ‘aabbccddeeff’. If you notice, the rhyme scheme has a consistency, which relates to the consistent cycle of life and death. The semi colon is to link the sentence together because, they are both supporting and highlighting that she is dead, therefore there is no need to be upset. The word ‘weep’ is used to suggest being upset, and crying, it is shocking to us, because Mary Elizabeth Frye, said ‘not’ to weep’. The writer deliberately wanted to shock us and think about the meaning of the poem and her viewpoint. This links to the idea of sadness and grief, the theme of the poem, it is making us make an inference; and think that you don’t need to be cry over death, she is still there, not physically but mentally. This tells me at the time this was written was written that emotion wasn’t shown a lot, many people didn’t think it was normal. Another original alternative to this could be that she has bitterness from her past, and wants others to feel her pain, Mary wants others to feel the same pain she did, she didn’t ‘weep’ either. Also, to effect the reader, it has a dramatic impact in the extract, with the words ‘do not stand at my grave and weep’. It creates an image of someone grieving at a grave, it also interests the reader, as an opening sentence, it makes the reader wonder why that is being stated; it is abnormal for someone to think that or that harsh. In conclusion, this shows how death has a comforting, yet sad, and inspirational view. In my opinion, I agree to an extent that you do not have to be upset over death, but it is normal for us to feel emotion, when reminded of the tragedy that is the death of a loved one.
    I am not sure what this is about but that seems like great analysis. I wouldn't worry about levels too much at your stage. It really doesn't matter. Only worry about these at GCSE level. That being said, I wouldn't imagine this to be anything less than Level 7 writing (whatever that means haha).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.