Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE english help. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I've got 4-5ish months till gcses, all other subjects seem to be all under control and under constant revision, but english is really my worst subject.

In class, i feel like sleeping, i don't understand anything the teacher talks about, can't think of unique ways to start paragraphs so I am basically always using the teachers template etc...

In other subjects, I am more motivated and it is quite the opposite.

Also, what revision should I do at home? I started today by looking and writing down useful phrases to remember. But i need a to do list to keep my english revision going. Please help, will be much appreciated.

If you are doing gcses, i also dont mind giving help wherever i can.

Thank you for reading.

ReputationRep:
    pmub

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangekyoumusa)
    Hey guys,
    I've got 4-5ish months till gcses, all other subjects seem to be all under control and under constant revision, but english is really my worst subject.

In class, i feel like sleeping, i don't understand anything the teacher talks about, can't think of unique ways to start paragraphs so I am basically always using the teachers template etc...

Also, what revision should I do at home? I started today by looking and writing down useful phrases to remember. But i need a to do list to keep my english revision going. Please help, will be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
    Is this lang or lit?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thank you for reading.
    You seem not to enjoy english. My
    advise to you is to start watching mr bruff's video on youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etudiebee)
    Is this lang or lit?
    lang... mostly, but both included.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thank you for reading.
    Here you go http://www.grammarbank.com/connectives-list.html. Use it.
    Practice using these phrases however you can (for starters, you could try repeating the coolest sounding ones in your head).

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I was literally feeling exactly the same as you are now last year. Got my GCSEs in 4/5 months time too, and here are my tips:

Firstly, don't feel concerned about using the teacher's template. They give this to you as an exemplary one, which will probably help you achieve really good grades, so if I were you, stick with it! However, don't worry about noting down and memorising useful phrases, even though it is tempting. The best way to learn these is simply to use them in your own homework assignments and revision essays/paragraphs. Little by little, you'll begin to notice that they become part of your natural style of writing, meaning it will come to you more easily in the exams. On top of that, try finding A* essays online and keep reading through them and imitate that particular student/teacher's style of writing when you can. I highly recommend this video ( https://youtu.be/XB40-KM14RA ), as it goes through how to write an A* English Literature essay.

Are you exams open or closed book? Either way, the best revision you could do at home is to create quote banks for each character and put some basic analysis (just key words and ideas) around them for now, and make mind-maps about the context and themes. Keep memorising these quotes by adding more in depth analysis each time you go back to them: keep adding analysis with more and more details to the extent you are linking in context, themes and alternative perceptions/arguments, as well as the language devices and their affects on the reader and the reasons for the author's choices etc.
    It is best to organise these quotes into sections (topic sentences) for each character. To find key topic ideas, find a good revision guide and use the ones they give you, which is very important as they will provide you with the main ideas the examiners will be looking for, as well as some analysis. I strongly recommend the Phillip Allen Literature Guides for GCSE. CGP or York Notes can be okay for getting started but don't really provide you with enough detail, or revise solely from revision guides.

Then obviously nearer the time start doing past papers and practice essay questions in timed conditions without your notes. You'll soon notice the questions all follow a similar format so you'll be able to make up your own to complete. For now, start re-reading all your set texts as the better you know them, the easier they are to write about.

I know I spoke mostly about Lit but for Language it is just a case of practice makes perfect; so I'm afraid it's just a case of past papers and practice questions. Even though it may seem trivial, making synonym banks for common adjectives and verbs is actually really useful and also try to read as many non-fiction texts you can. Finally I recommend Mr Bruff on YouTube.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey guys,

Thank you for reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no2573571)
    Hey! I was literally feeling exactly the same as you are now last year. Got my GCSEs in 4/5 months time too, and here are my tips:

Firstly, don't feel concerned about using the teacher's template. They give this to you as an exemplary one, which will probably help you achieve really good grades, so if I were you, stick with it! However, don't worry about noting down and memorising useful phrases, even though it is tempting. The best way to learn these is simply to use them in your own homework assignments and revision essays/paragraphs. Little by little, you'll begin to notice that they become part of your natural style of writing, meaning it will come to you more easily in the exams. On top of that, try finding A* essays online and keep reading through them and imitate that particular student/teacher's style of writing when you can. I highly recommend this video ( https://youtu.be/XB40-KM14RA ), as it goes through how to write an A* English Literature essay.

Are you exams open or closed book? Either way, the best revision you could do at home is to create quote banks for each character and put some basic analysis (just key words and ideas) around them for now, and make mind-maps about the context and themes. Keep memorising these quotes by adding more in depth analysis each time you go back to them: keep adding analysis with more and more details to the extent you are linking in context, themes and alternative perceptions/arguments, as well as the language devices and their affects on the reader and the reasons for the author's choices etc.
    It is best to organise these quotes into sections (topic sentences) for each character. To find key topic ideas, find a good revision guide and use the ones they give you, which is very important as they will provide you with the main ideas the examiners will be looking for, as well as some analysis. I strongly recommend the Phillip Allen Literature Guides for GCSE. CGP or York Notes can be okay for getting started but don't really provide you with enough detail, or revise solely from revision guides.

Then obviously nearer the time start doing past papers and practice essay questions in timed conditions without your notes. You'll soon notice the questions all follow a similar format so you'll be able to make up your own to complete. For now, start re-reading all your set texts as the better you know them, the easier they are to write about.

I know I spoke mostly about Lit but for Language it is just a case of practice makes perfect; so I'm afraid it's just a case of past papers and practice questions. Even though it may seem trivial, making synonym banks for common adjectives and verbs is actually really useful and also try to read as many non-fiction texts you can. Finally I recommend Mr Bruff on YouTube.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Thanks for the tips, will use them.
    The reason why I started jotting down phrases was to expand on them, I couldn't think of any, is that ok?

Thanks again,

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tips, will use them.
    The reason why I started jotting down phrases was to expand on them, I couldn't think of any, is that ok?

Thanks again,

No worries - so glad I could help. In that case, that method is a good idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.