Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's three 'issues' in this so I'll do a shortish paragraph on each. I'm hoping that putting my thoughts out there helps me feel a bit better.

Firstly, I had a relationship end in the summer. It was long distance from start to finish, 16 months in total, and the way it ended hit me harder than anything else. She ended it over the phone and it was a really tough pill to swollow and with it being long distance, I didn't have a chance to say bye or look her in the eye. In the heat of the moment, a lot of things got said I keep analysing ever mistake I made and beating myself up about it. I tried calling her a while ago and it appears she's changed her number so I guess it's something I'm gunna have to find a way to live with. Easier said than done though.

Secondly, I've played rugby for 10 years to a high level, but since the breakup my motivation has gone. I used to relish that challenge of training but I had a spell where I'd be on a long run and just stopped and walked the rest of the way home because it was too hard. Since then, I started doing less and less and my fitness has completely dropped. I'm not playing at the level I want to and I feel like everything I do is a chore. I'm not as focused on uni work as I should be either.

The other thing I'm suffering with is social anxiety. I always thought I was just quiet but since starting uni I've realised it's a bit more than that. All I want to do is sit in my room and hide myself away but I know that isn't the right thing to do. I just don't know how to get myself out of it.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know threads like this have probably been done to death but it's just one of them. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reacher-123)
    There's three 'issues' in this so I'll do a shortish paragraph on each. I'm hoping that putting my thoughts out there helps me feel a bit better.

Firstly, I had a relationship end in the summer. It was long distance from start to finish, 16 months in total, and the way it ended hit me harder than anything else. She ended it over the phone and it was a really tough pill to swollow and with it being long distance, I didn't have a chance to say bye or look her in the eye. In the heat of the moment, a lot of things got said I keep analysing ever mistake I made and beating myself up about it. I tried calling her a while ago and it appears she's changed her number so I guess it's something I'm gunna have to find a way to live with. Easier said than done though.

Secondly, I've played rugby for 10 years to a high level, but since the breakup my motivation has gone. I used to relish that challenge of training but I had a spell where I'd be on a long run and just stopped and walked the rest of the way home because it was too hard. Since then, I started doing less and less and my fitness has completely dropped. I'm not playing at the level I want to and I feel like everything I do is a chore. I'm not as focused on uni work as I should be either.

The other thing I'm suffering with is social anxiety. I always thought I was just quiet but since starting uni I've realised it's a bit more than that. All I want to do is sit in my room and hide myself away but I know that isn't the right thing to do. I just don't know how to get myself out of it.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know threads like this have probably been done to death but it's just one of them. Thanks in advance.
    Breakups are crappy, there's no denying that. I've never experienced long distance relationships but in my opinion it gives more chances of people drifting away from each other as there isn't much physical contact, which is a huge part of a relationship.

My best advice is to get back into sport, even if you don't feel like it, just try. It'll help take your mind off things. Same goes for uni work, if you're not trying and do badly as a result it'll only make you feel worse, I know it sounds silly but look at some motivational quotes/stories etc.

Can't help with the social anxiety, I don't have it but do find it difficult to talk to people etc. And haven't found a solution. I also struggle with CVS which happens anywhere and with anyone, which doesn't help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.