Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm struggling on which A-levels I should take. Would these subjects go together? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am currently in Yr 11 and applying for sixth forms at the moment. I am thinking of taking English Lit, Classical Civilisation, and Psychology at A-level, (the majority of sixth forms and colleges are dropping AS levels as it will no longer be counted as a qualification/count towards the final grade). Would these subjects work well together?
    I am planning on going to University to get a degree, and a PGCE.
    I am not sure on whether to take English Lit or English Lang, but I feel that Universities would prefer Lit more?

Any help/advice is hugely appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm a year 13 currently studying English Lit, Politics and History at A-Level, I sat an AS in R.E (which I then dropped) and in Politics but English Lit and History were two year courses. I think that sounds like a completely reasonable course combination, especially because it keeps your options open in case you later change your mind about what you want to study at university. I think you're probably right about English Lit being better thought of than English Language, however the study of the development of language that's done in English Lang may fit in better with the study of psychology. Don't worry too much about picking courses that seem to 'fit' together, although I chose similar courses that there are logical links between and it worked well for me I also have two friends who both study History, Art and Maths and they're equally happy.
    Good luck with your GCSES!
    Izzy

(Original post by EmilyB37)
    Hello,
    I am currently in Yr 11 and applying for sixth forms at the moment. I am thinking of taking English Lit, Classical Civilisation, and Psychology at A-level, (the majority of sixth forms and colleges are dropping AS levels as it will no longer be counted as a qualification/count towards the final grade). Would these subjects work well together?
    I am not sure on whether to take English Lit or English Lang, but I feel that Universities would prefer Lit more?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Hey!

My first question would be if you were planning on taking the teacher training undergrad degree path, or if you're planning on studying a subject at undergraduate level and then doing a PGCE afterwards (from the wording of your post id guess the latter, but I thought I'd just check 😉). If it is the latter, then obviously you need to be doing the A Level that best corresponds to your chosen degree.

Going well together depends entirely on the course you want to do. If you want to do psychology, then, honestly, you need another science on there. If you want to do classics then I'd say that was a good choice because both classical civilisations and literature feed into that - same for if you wanted to do English.

However if you were asking about "facilitating" subjects (that's the term given to the subjects that are basically accepted by most courses and are generally seen as most academically rigorous) then only English Lit is one of those http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-studen...l-and-college/ <--- here's a good link if you want to know more about it!

You're right, English Lit is generally viewed more favourably by unis than Language, and if you're not entirely sure what you want to do you can keep open more options by doing Lit. However if you wanted to study linguistics then that's a good thing to study! (Bearing in mind though that the vast majority of linguistic degrees will accept an English Lit A Level - you can see why it's called a facilitating subject 😉)

I hope this helps somewhat? Let me know if I've been confusing 😂

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I don't know if anyone has told you this yet, but have you considered doing these subjects instead:

English Literature
    History
    Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenoftheiceni)
    Hey,
    I'm a year 13 currently studying English Lit, Politics and History at A-Level, I sat an AS in R.E (which I then dropped) and in Politics but English Lit and History were two year courses. I think that sounds like a completely reasonable course combination, especially because it keeps your options open in case you later change your mind about what you want to study at university. I think you're probably right about English Lit being better thought of than English Language, however the study of the development of language that's done in English Lang may fit in better with the study of psychology. Don't worry too much about picking courses that seem to 'fit' together, although I chose similar courses that there are logical links between and it worked well for me I also have two friends who both study History, Art and Maths and they're equally happy.
    Good luck with your GCSES!
    Izzy
    Thank you for the help!
    I think I'll stick with English Lit, although I guess I could take a English Lit & English Lang A-level (a mix of both,but that might be making things more complicated!)
    Best of luck with your A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Why don't you do 4 a-level subjects (if you can do that), try them all out and then decide which one you want to drop. My college is letting people do that and then allowing them to drop one by Christmas or earlier. I did take Classics and am currently taking psychology so if you want to ask any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I don't know if anyone has told you this yet, but have you considered doing these subjects instead:

English Literature
    History
    Biology
    I have actually considered taking those subjects. I'm taking History and Biology as some of my GCSE subjects, but I feel like doing all of those three at A-level would put a big strain on my mental health as I'm not very confident in those subjects, although I enjoy studying them.

ReputationRep:
    I have actually considered taking those subjects. I'm taking History and Biology as some of my GCSE subjects, but I feel like doing all of those three at A-level would put a big strain on my mental health as I'm not very confident in those subjects, although I enjoy studying them.
    Surprisingly, I knew some people at Sixth Form that found Psychology harder than Biology because there is an insane amount of essay writing in Psychology and remembering a lot of case studies. One of my friends broke down over Psychology but really enjoyed Biology, so I suppose it's down to your preference. The thing is, Psychology is a subject that is often marked incorrectly and is very subjective in marking, so you have to write in a way that panders to the examiner which can stress a lot of people out. Biology is an objective subject, it's either right or wrong which means it is marked a lot more accurately.

With respect to Classical Civilization, that subject is slowly being removed from the A Level choices as the government feels as though it's too similar to History. I would recommend studying History instead as it is very respected and requires the same skills as Classical Civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNugent)
    Why don't you do 4 a-level subjects (if you can do that), try them all out and then decide which one you want to drop. My college is letting people do that and then allowing them to drop one by Christmas or earlier. I did take Classics and am currently taking psychology so if you want to ask any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
    I hadn't thought of doing that, I'll think about that more, thank you!
    In both Classics and your Psychology class, what was the workload like? I've read posts where they says that it's about an essay a week? Is that an easy workload to handle? Also in Classics, did you have to remember a lot of dates? It's just that I'm terrible at remembering dates.

Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)
    Hey!

My first question would be if you were planning on taking the teacher training undergrad degree path, or if you're planning on studying a subject at undergraduate level and then doing a PGCE afterwards (from the wording of your post id guess the latter, but I thought I'd just check 😉). If it is the latter, then obviously you need to be doing the A Level that best corresponds to your chosen degree.

Going well together depends entirely on the course you want to do. If you want to do psychology, then, honestly, you need another science on there. If you want to do classics then I'd say that was a good choice because both classical civilisations and literature feed into that - same for if you wanted to do English.

However if you were asking about "facilitating" subjects (that's the term given to the subjects that are basically accepted by most courses and are generally seen as most academically rigorous) then only English Lit is one of those http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-studen...l-and-college/ <--- here's a good link if you want to know more about it!

You're right, English Lit is generally viewed more favourably by unis than Language, and if you're not entirely sure what you want to do you can keep open more options by doing Lit. However if you wanted to study linguistics then that's a good thing to study! (Bearing in mind though that the vast majority of linguistic degrees will accept an English Lit A Level - you can see why it's called a facilitating subject 😉)

I hope this helps somewhat? Let me know if I've been confusing 😂
    Thank you so much for your reply!
    And yes I'm planning on doing a subject at undergradate degree and then doing a PGCE. If I were to do these A-levels then I would do Classics or English Lit for my degree, but I'm not completely sure yet.
    When I was thinking about my subjects, I knew I wanted at least one facilitating subject so that there was some "security" in my A-level choices, which is why I chose English Lit. I just want to be sure that I'm definitely picking the right A-levels for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Surprisingly, I knew some people at Sixth Form that found Psychology harder than Biology because there is an insane amount of essay writing in Psychology and remembering a lot of case studies. One of my friends broke down over Psychology but really enjoyed Biology, so I suppose it's down to your preference. The thing is, Psychology is a subject that is often marked incorrectly and is very subjective in marking, so you have to write in a way that panders to the examiner which can stress a lot of people out. Biology is an objective subject, it's either right or wrong which means it is marked a lot more accurately.

With respect to Classical Civilization, that subject is slowly being removed from the A Level choices as the government feels as though it's too similar to History. I would recommend studying History instead as it is very respected and requires the same skills as Classical Civilisation.
    You make very interesting points, I guess I have a lot to think over. Right now I'll stick to with the subjects I've decided but I'll definitely have a good think about the Biology A-level. The Sixth Form that I really want to get into, is the only one that offers Classics, and when I've applied to other places I've put History down as one of my choices.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't thought of doing that, I'll think about that more, thank you!
    In both Classics and your Psychology class, what was the workload like? I've read posts where they says that it's about an essay a week? Is that an easy workload to handle? Also in Classics, did you have to remember a lot of dates? It's just that I'm terrible at remembering dates.

Thank you again!
    Well in classics we did roughly an essay or past paper a week but I didn't find it too stressful. It took me about an hour to do and I managed to get a B in the a level. I also remember that you had to do some further reading to get the top grades such as doing research on a particular topic on the Internet. I'm pretty sure I didn't use a single date in my final exam (which was in contrast to my history exam) so therefore I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Regarding psychology I'm actually teaching myself the a level (currently on my gap year) and I would say I'm doing more a lot more work than I did for classics and history but that is because I'm doing the full a-level next year and doing double the workload of most other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNugent)
    ^^I would suggest doing this OP

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.