Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I prove that I can use computers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've noticed a gap in my CV - I have no evidence that I can use ICT / Computers to a good standard. My school did not offer GCSE Computer Science / ICT and I didn't do anything computer-related at A Level. My degree is in BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science so very little computer related use there...

How can I prove my aptitude with computers to an employer through a CV?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You're using one right now? :holmes:

Surely you have used Excel, Word or Powerpoint at one point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    You're using one right now? :holmes:

Surely you have used Excel, Word or Powerpoint at one point?
    Hahaha yes of course It's just, I don't have any quantitative evidence of the fact that I can use those things. I just worry that an employer will look at it and say "Well.. where's your proof?" like I can with my GCSE / A Level / Degree grades. All I've really written in my CV is this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Hi all, I've noticed a gap in my CV - I have no evidence that I can use ICT / Computers to a good standard. My school did not offer GCSE Computer Science / ICT and I didn't do anything computer-related at A Level. How can I prove my aptitude with computers to an employer through a CV?
    You can mention the programming language you are fluent/confident in (if you know any programming), or even the fact that you know ho to use Excel and other useful softwares.

ReputationRep:
    You can talk you continue building upon skills, one of them being in ICT etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    You can mention the programming language you are fluent/confident in (if you know any programming), or even the fact that you know ho to use Excel and other useful softwares.
    I would absolutely love to learn a programming language, as an absolute beginner - what would you recommend?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've noticed a gap in my CV - I have no evidence that I can use ICT / Computers to a good standard. My school did not offer GCSE Computer Science / ICT and I didn't do anything computer-related at A Level. My degree is in BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science so very little computer related use there...

How can I prove my aptitude with computers to an employer through a CV?
    Show them your TSR posting history.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Show them your TSR posting history.

/thread
    Hahah not sure they would appreciate all those Ash Ketchum GIFs

ReputationRep:
    If you are good with Exel that would look good?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha yes of course It's just, I don't have any quantitative evidence of the fact that I can use those things. I just worry that an employer will look at it and say "Well.. where's your proof?" like I can with my GCSE / A Level / Degree grades. All I've really written in my CV is this:
    I don't think WPM is of any use in a CV but the rest looks good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I don't think WPM is of any use in a CV but the rest looks good enough
    Yeah I felt as though I was sort of picking at straws with that one, but I thought "well, if I'm applying to somewhere as a secretary one day or something, maybe they will appreciate it.."

ReputationRep:
    I would absolutely love to learn a programming language, as an absolute beginner - what would you recommend?
    Python. There are many online resources available. Another thing you could try is doing work experience in a computer environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    If you are good with Exel that would look good?
    The thing is, anyone can write "I'm highly proficient with Excel" in their CV - I just wish there was a way that I could prove that, through like, some kind of online-course with a grade at the end or something. Something that will make me stand out and an employer will say "Oh yes, they have proof they can".

ReputationRep:
    Python. There are many online resources available. Another thing you could try is doing work experience in a computer environment.
    Mhmm, I've heard of Python before! Python it is then~
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I felt as though I was sort of picking at straws with that one, but I thought "well, if I'm applying to somewhere as a secretary one day or something, maybe they will appreciate it.."
    It is picking at straws tbh, unless you were applying for a speed typing role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It is picking at straws tbh, unless you were applying for a speed typing role.
    I'd almost definitely take it out when applying to somewhere that had nothing to do with computers, like KFC or something

ReputationRep:
    Mhmm, I've heard of Python before! Python it is then~
    Give it a try, you may hate it or you may love it Most of my friends just learnt HTML and CSS for web development and got away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a try, you may hate it or you may love it Most of my friends just learnt HTML and CSS for web development and got away with it.
    I'll keep those ones in mind if Python makes me rage :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but it's redundant elsewhere. Sounds more like something you'd add onto it when you were definitely going for a job that required fast typing speeds rather than something you put on when applying to any old job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Yeah but it's redundant elsewhere. Sounds more like something you'd add onto it when you were definitely going for a job that required fast typing speeds rather than something you put on when applying to any old job.
    Oh the section of CV that I uploaded is a generic CV, I would always tailor a CV to suit the job I applying for (so get rid of the computer section entirely). :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.