Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A graduate thinking about claiming JSA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Here's my situation.

My BSc degree (2.2) in Physics at University took 4 years rather then 3 because I issues with my health in between.

Anyways I graduated and got a 3 month software development internship which was extended by 3 months in software testing which was good, the 3 months were part time in testing as I thought I couldn't handle full time, feedback from my internship was that my people skills were pretty strong. After this I was out of work.

My Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN) said I should sign up with an agency as they will help me find me work, they work with the job centre plus. I ended up working as a customer assistant in a retail store for 3 months and have ended today. It was perfect as it was part time and less stress, but now I feel like I am ready for full time graduate employment. I started looking mid December and already had a phone interviews and a few chats on the phone with graduate recruiters.

The problem is, the agency is now offering me a few cleaning jobs, 5-8am Monday - Saturday, and nothing else, i find it frustrating that they are offering me only this option. I complained and now they're offering me a grad scheme but I'm not sure what experience this requires, I will find out next week.

Now however, my part time job ended and I am looking to JSA, should I claim it? I don't want to be pushed into jobs I don't really want if the job centre is anything like the agency I worked with. I talked with my careers advisor from uni and he said cleaning will be pretty dead end and time is better spent doing work experience in developing games in my own time (I may want to go games industry), reading into web techs, developing code and applying for more relevant jobs.

ReputationRep:
    How important/necessary would the money be?

ReputationRep:
    Its nice to get free cash, but I have plenty of savings so I would only get £25 a week, so I'm not sure its worth it.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Runite)
    Hi there,

Here's my situation.

My BSc degree (2.2) in Physics at University took 4 years rather then 3 because I issues with my health in between.

Anyways I graduated and got a 3 month software development internship which was extended by 3 months in software testing which was good, the 3 months were part time in testing as I thought I couldn't handle full time, feedback from my internship was that my people skills were pretty strong. After this I was out of work.

My Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN) said I should sign up with an agency as they will help me find me work, they work with the job centre plus. I ended up working as a customer assistant in a retail store for 3 months and have ended today. It was perfect as it was part time and less stress, but now I feel like I am ready for full time graduate employment. I started looking mid December and already had a phone interviews and a few chats on the phone with graduate recruiters.

The problem is, the agency is now offering me a few cleaning jobs, 5-8am Monday - Saturday, and nothing else, i find it frustrating that they are offering me only this option. I complained and now they're offering me a grad scheme but I'm not sure what experience this requires, I will find out next week.

Now however, my part time job ended and I am looking to JSA, should I claim it? I don't want to be pushed into jobs I don't really want if the job centre is anything like the agency I worked with. I talked with my careers advisor from uni and he said cleaning will be pretty dead end and time is better spent doing work experience in developing games in my own time (I may want to go games industry), reading into web techs, developing code and applying for more relevant jobs.
    Not seeing what your point is? Claim or dont claim. You need the money or you don't. You shoykd be aware of the requirements and conditions of getting JSA.

One point you need to bear in mind us the looking for work requirement. They are going to be less interested if you start protesting or mentioning about graduate jobs. The better strategy is on the one hand look for soemthing to pay the bills short term, whilst long term look for graduate employment. It would provide protection if you made your advisor aware about your low self esteem issues possibly with a letter from yoru GP or counselor. If you have done retail, then why not focus on that as your p/t solution?

ReputationRep:
    Retail doesn't have jobs this time of year as its past Christmas, fortunately I don't have bills to pay as live with family. My point is that the agency I worked with works with the job centre plus and if the job centre is anything like them I don't want to work with them as they will push me into any job rather then getting say, relevant unpaid work experience that will be more helpful. Hence I am unsure about JSA.

ReputationRep:
    Retail doesn't have jobs this time of year as its past Christmas, fortunately I don't have bills to pay as live with family. My point is that the agency I worked with works with the job centre plus and if the job centre is anything like them I don't want to work with them as they will push me into any job rather then getting say, relevant unpaid work experience that will be more helpful. Hence I am unsure about JSA.
    It's not the Job Centre's role to aid you in reaching long-term career goals, it's to get as many people into as many jobs as possible in the shortest amount of time to bring down unemployment levels. So, you will be encouraged to apply for every job you meet the basic requirements for.
    If this isn't what you want, don't claim JSA and spend your time getting unpaid experience and applying for grad schemes etc.
    • Very Important Poster

There is more than one agency. Agencies arent job centres. Are they part of the work program. If you sign on then they will expect you to look for a job, because that is what job seekers allowance is about. Depending on your advisor they may eb sympathetic to your self esteem issues and they may not. If they see you arent trying then they cna sanction you and cut your benefits.

Imo try it, give them what they want and if you dont like it, then just sign off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a teacher but I know a few graduates that have claimed JSA - they won't push you towards something you don't want especially with your 'background'. As long as you show you are applying for jobs by keeping a record then they'll be fine.

If you have more than £16 000 savungs then I dont think you can claim and they do take savings above ?£600 into account - I'm pretty sure you'll get more than £25.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    For the first 13 weeks, you can limit the areas you'll for work in. After that, you'll be expected to apply for any job that you're able to do.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely mate, might as well cream all you can. Play the system. If you don't someone else will

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.