Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VM418 – Bus Stop Cigarette Receptacle Motion 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    38.00%
    On the contrary, No
    44.00%
    Abstain
    18.00%

• Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    That's odd, we seem to be sprouting bins
    Maybe wherever you are is stealing bins from wherever I am?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Maybe wherever you are is stealing bins from wherever I am?
    Haha perhaps
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Jammy Duel - I will support this if you can provide me with a calculated figure of how much this will cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Ban public smoking instead!
    Ban being in public in general! Who needs people
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Jammy Duel - I will support this if you can provide me with a calculated figure of how much this will cost.
    Was going to get a rough estimate for 100% coverage of a few cities as an upper limit later anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Okay, quick Google and I come back with this.

So from data linked in this article we get that there are ~400,000 bus and coach stops in total in the country (I think Northern Ireland is excluded from the data, but that has no major bearing on the result). A quick google of "cigarette ash bin" gets a few options for the bin itself, the cheapest in the sponsored section (which is the sort of thing I was thinking of anyway) is found here for ~£20. In all these estimates, given I'm suggesting this as an absolute maximum, I shall assume that all the extra costs minus savings from the large volume, causes the total cost per unit to be double the sticker price, this gives a total cost of about £20m. Alternatively we can go to the more expensive end of the sponsored section where we get the pillar variety at about £200 each found here, or a total installation cost of about £200m. Obviously it would be a combination of the two.

Of course it has to be remembered that in now way should absolutely every stop be covered, I don't think any of the ones I use to get to or from work are used anywhere near enough to justify even the cheap option, and you get instances of several stops basically right next to each other inflating the figure.

The cost would depend on the extent of the implementation, but we'd be looking at a figure in the tens of millions at most for total (reasonable) coverage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    After thinking about this, it is better to have rubbish in bins than on the floor; Saracen's Fez please change my vote to an aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    After thinking about this, it is better to have rubbish in bins than on the floor; Saracen's Fez please change my vote to an aye.
    One Abstention has been changed to an Aye for seat 41.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

So from data linked in this article we get that there are ~400,000 bus and coach stops in total in the country (I think Northern Ireland is excluded from the data, but that has no major bearing on the result). A quick google of "cigarette ash bin" gets a few options for the bin itself, the cheapest in the sponsored section (which is the sort of thing I was thinking of anyway) is found here for ~£20. In all these estimates, given I'm suggesting this as an absolute maximum, I shall assume that all the extra costs minus savings from the large volume, causes the total cost per unit to be double the sticker price, this gives a total cost of about £20m. Alternatively we can go to the more expensive end of the sponsored section where we get the pillar variety at about £200 each found here, or a total installation cost of about £200m. Obviously it would be a combination of the two.

Of course it has to be remembered that in now way should absolutely every stop be covered, I don't think any of the ones I use to get to or from work are used anywhere near enough to justify even the cheap option, and you get instances of several stops basically right next to each other inflating the figure.

The cost would depend on the extent of the implementation, but we'd be looking at a figure in the tens of millions at most for total (reasonable) coverage.
    Thank you for this. I will now change my vote.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Quote quote
    Please can you change my vote to an aye?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Please can you change my vote to an aye?
    One Abstention has been changed to an Aye for seat 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

What's your reasoning for not simply attaching them to the outside of buses.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    What's your reasoning for not simply attaching them to the outside of buses.
    Quite frankly I don't think that would do much, most are likely to finsih their fag before the bus even comes, and would end up throwing them on the floor anyway, it also doesn't provide the people who are simply passing by and not waiting for a bus, it also doesn't really cut down on the number needed either, in London there are about 19,000 bus stops, not all of which would require such a bin, partly because some aren't going to be used much and others because several stops can be covered by one bin in some areas. On the other hand there are 8000 buses servicing London. You reduce functionality without significantly reducing cost.

ReputationRep:
    @Saracen's Fez please change my Abstention to a No.

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez, please change my abstention to an aye.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I encourage anybody who supports the continued war on smoking to join me in voting Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    On further consideration Saracen's Fez I hate to be a pain, but please change my Abstain to a NAY
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I encourage anybody who supports the continued war on smoking to join me in voting Nay.
    And I'd encourage anybody who supports the continued war on smoking to join me in voting Aye. It's one of those wonderful things, you all seem to be all like "argh, if smokers are given the facility not to litter suddenly everybody will start smoking ermahgerd noooo" without actually explaining why it would get even one person smoking.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    On further consideration Saracen's Fez I hate to be a pain, but please change my Abstain to a NAY
    (Original post by ATW1)
    @Saracen's Fez please change my Abstention to a No.
    Two Abstentions have been changed to Noes for seats 19 and 45.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Saracen's Fez, please change my abstention to an aye.
    One Abstention has been changed to an Aye for seat 14.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    One double vote has been removed for seat 7 (previously Andy98 for notneb) (–1 Aye).

One double vote has been removed for seat 29 (fleky6910, previously right_angle) (–1 No).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 19
    Noes to the left: 22
    Abstentions: 9

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 100%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.