Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember if I actually said anything on this, but in any case, it's a definite no from me - the current mandatory life sentence is not over the top in my opinion. It still allows the offender the ability to live life outside prison after x years, but I feel it's paramount for the safety of the public that these people are monitored.

What this Bill comes down to, is whether trying to appease those who've killed someone, is more important than helping to reassure the public that they are as safe as possible.

ReputationRep:
    This bill is soft on crime. Do you want your children growing up with murderers in the streets?!?!

cabbageball4.png
    (A Skype exclusive meme I am now giving you all the honour of seeing in the forums, this is what could happen if the bill passes)

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I missed a genuinely interesting debate after quite a while. Second reading, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    This bill is soft on crime. Do you want your children growing up with murderers in the streets?!?!

cabbageball4.png
    (A Skype exclusive meme I am now giving you all the honour of seeing in the forums, this is what could happen if the bill passes)
    You better be careful, you'll be off to Siberia if you keep spouting counter-revolutionary propaganda like this...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Looks like I missed a genuinely interesting debate after quite a while. Second reading, please.
    We do plan on releasing a second reading. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Utterly misleading garbage and frankly a reprehensible and disgusting attempt to water down an already mushy criminal justice system. Both of the examples below used to support the bill would normally be prosecuted as voluntary manslaughter and yet you try to pass it off as if they'd get murder sentences just to sell your pro-criminal filth! The real motivation of the bill is stated, you think that harsher sentences don't have a deterrent effect. This attitude to crime and justice is precisely the reason we have astronomical re-offending rates and chaotic disorder in prisons, criminals don't fear the law. That's the fault of YOUR flawed, naive and stupid thinking.

Oh, and if you're so concerned about a man being prosecuted for killing somebody for self defense why don't you pass legislation exempting those who use force on thugs from being prosecuted?

This is simply shameful apologism for the worst of the worst in society. We should be discussing toughening our sentences and prison conditions and possibly reintroducing capital punishment, not removing automatic life tariffs.

The government's proposal puts the very concept of justice in disrepute.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill has gone to a second reading.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill has gone to a second reading.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.