A reverse percentages problem Watch

neiloneil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
if I were paid £8497 by a contractor for the work I did, and that figure was the amount after tax was deducted at 20%, what were my original earnings and tax paid?

I think I worked it out, and it goes a bit like;

8497 / 80 * 100

= 10621 tax paid therefore was 2124 (give or take the pennys)

I couldn't do this earlier , so decided to join and ask a forum. The act of asking the question in a clear way helped me to visualise what I was wanting. I also didnt want to hit the send button because it became like a challenge. Good on me! and thanks to you for your passive involvement.
Olmeister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unless I'm wrong, I worked it out that your total earnings would've been £10,196.44 and therefore the total tax payment would've been £2,039.28.

I realise it's late though, so if I'm misleading you then someone tell me to shut it lol
elekro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Olmeister)
Unless I'm wrong, I worked it out that your total earnings would've been £10,196.44 and therefore the total tax payment would've been £2,039.28.

I realise it's late though, so if I'm misleading you then someone tell me to shut it lol
I come up with 10621.25 total earnings and 2124.25 tax :/
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You currently have 0.8x and want 1x, so you do 1/0.8 * 0.8x which is 1/0.8 * 8497 = 10621

So try it with this, I got an iPad for £300, I got a 30% discount, what was the original price?

Try and make sense of the formula I gave by remembering £300 is a fraction of x and you want 1x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads