Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shortlisted by recruitment agency for a job... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I received an email to say that I have been shortlisted for a job by the agency on behalf of their client.

I was asked to ring back the recruitment consultant for a quick chat really about the role, and whether I'd be happy on that basis for him to pass my details on to the firm. This was yesterday a Friday.

He did say on the phone that he thinks that since its Friday afternoon that I shouldn't expect a response or anything immediately, however, to possibly by next week.

He asked me if I had any upcoming appointments, so I presume he wants to tell them my schedule for a potential interview.

Am I right in thinking that the firm may not contact me to interview me at all?

Should I just give them until next week before I move on to other jobs in my search?

I've sent off my portfolio for him to pass on to the company, but how can I be sure he has done so?

I dunno, I don't want to get my hopes up. Presumably he would respond to my email to say he has got it and he will pass on my details.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Okay so I received an email to say that I have been shortlisted for a job by the agency on behalf of their client.

I was asked to ring back the recruitment consultant for a quick chat really about the role, and whether I'd be happy on that basis for him to pass my details on to the firm. This was yesterday a Friday.

He did say on the phone that he thinks that since its Friday afternoon that I shouldn't expect a response or anything immediately, however, to possibly by next week.

He asked me if I had any upcoming appointments, so I presume he wants to tell them my schedule for a potential interview.

Should I just give them until next week before I move on to other jobs in my search?

I've sent off my portfolio for him to pass on to the company, but how can I be sure he has done so?

I dunno, I don't want to get my hopes up. Presumably he would respond to my email to say he has got it and he will pass on my details.
    I think you should move on and continue job searching.
    Saying from experience most recruitment agencies give you a call, a false hope to say they will give you an interview and then you will never hear back from them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)

They may contact you to interview you, they may not. You never know with recruitment agencies whether they will do as they say. For that reason it is better if you can apply for jobs directly. Either way though when job hunting don't wait to hear about one job before you apply for the next, its far better to have multiple applications on the go.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The agency shortlists candidates but that doesnt guarantee an interview.

The client then reviews the shortlisted candidates and will advise who they want to see. Good recruitment agencies will only put forward candidates with a decent chance of being interviewed by their client.

But what you don't know is whether there are other agencies also providing their shortlist of candidates (and how many agencies there are) and also how many decent candidates have applied directly to the organisation. The more of these there are, the more competition there is, and its going to be more difficult to secure an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Dont put all your eggs in one basket! If the client requests to see you the recruiter will be in touch. In my opinion you should only ever give a recruiter exclusive representation if they have a number of opportunities with you. If a recruiter ever suggests you hold off applying or accepting representation from another recruiter always agree a timeframe in which they will have this exclusivity. That way the recruiter will know not to take their time. Always manage your recruiter, that way you wont be disappointed. Good luck with your search!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.