Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    I learned English in less than a year but English is so easy to learn 'cos it's everywhere.

That said:

Move to France or a French-speaking country and live there. Success is guaranteed.

Failing that, watch films, listen to music and read stuff online (and off). Preferably things you like to read and draw your interest. Otherwise, you'll be bored quickly.

Speak to people who know the language. Skype, etc.

Immersion, as some people have suggested here, really is key.
    Fair enough but that's still impressive, well done u :congrats:

That's a great idea, have you got any French movies suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    That's what I meant, I should've made my post clearer about this :emo:.
    You could probably do it but you would still find yourself struggling with certain words and as such. I've been learning German for about a year and I can hold a conversation without too much strain but there are still huge gaps in my knowledge.

But I haven't been that comitted to learning it so that would explain why :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Roset....Oh wait.
    Clever. :lol:

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    For vocab learning, Memrise (more fun to use) or Anki (more powerful and flexible) are both great. There's also a great website called Lang-8 which allows you to write journal entries in a target language and get it corrected by native speakers, but I don't know how bit the Italian audience is there.
    Those are excellent, thank you
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    I've been wanting to learn French as well to a level where I am able to have conversations. After doing GCSE French, the only way I taught myself more was by using duolingo and memrise
    I've only done French up to year 9 :rofl:
    What's your opinion about memrise?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Un fanta...s'il vous plaît?
    I have no manners.

ReputationRep:
    I've only done French up to year 9 :rofl:
    It's alright, it can be repetitive but it is a good way of getting you to memorize them.
    Though I do have to say duolingo is more "fun"

When I did GCSE French my teacher would often get us to use linguascope but I think you have to pay for it

ReputationRep:
    I have no manners.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Just thought I'd share this...kinda catchy.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    It's alright, it can be repetitive but it is a good way of getting you to memorize them.
    Though I do have to say duolingo is more "fun"

When I did GCSE French my teacher would often get us to use linguascope but I think you have to pay for it
    Yeah repeating stuff makes you not forget it.
    I'll start with duolingo then, thanks

Yeah you do pay for that I think, but personally I'm not a huge fan of linguascope.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure how helpful things like Rosetta Stone or Duolingo really are. You can probably reach a basic understanding, be able to read a little and have rudimentary and fragmented conversations. I tried online resources before and found them very limited. Instead, I switched to attending private evening classes run by my university (we focus a lot on grammar and how to construct sentences). The good thing about that is we actually practice conservations in pairs and small groups.

The best way to truly learn a language is to put it in practice with a fluent speaker. You'd need a french-speaking friend or move to France for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Take advantage of the free time you currently have.

Once you enter the world of work you barely get time to even try to learn a new language :emo:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    I am not sure how helpful things like Rosetta Stone or Duolingo really are. I tried online resources before and found them very limited. Instead, I switched to attending private evening classes run by my university. The good thing about that is we actually practice conservations in pairs and small groups.

The best way to truly learn a language is to put it in practice with a fluent speaker. You'd need a french-speaking friend or move to France for a bit.
    Judging from people's responses here, Rosetta Stone is a big no no.

A few of my friends speak French fluently, and I'd have to think about living there

(Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Take advantage of the free time you currently have.

Once you enter the world of work you barely get time to even try to learn a new language :emo:
    True, otherwise I have nothing much else to do :emo:

I'd be speaking in other languages then
    Programming languages. :ahee:

I'll start with duolingo then, thanks
    I think it's important to know the limits of langauge-learning apps. I used Duolingo to start with, found it great, slowly started to get less and less out of it until I quit completely. Switched to Memrise, found it waaaay better than Duolingo, followed by the same walking-on-a-treadmill effect as before.

Apps will only work up to a point, and for a beginner that point won't be anywhere near fluency. So move on to something else once you hit that wall - books, news, films, sites that pair people trying to learn each other's languages, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.