Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling like I have to queue up to LEAVE a shop! watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else felt this way when leaving a store they have had a look in but not purchased anything from? If yes, does it make you angry?

I often feel that way in Home Bargains when there are long queues at all of the checkouts and the only way out is through the checkouts, and it should be a simple case of saying "Excuse me, can I get past please, I have no items to pay for?" right? Wrong!

When the people in the queue are either highly intimidating or otherwise look at you as though you are dog poo when you ask to be let past when you have no items to pay for! :mad:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No, you just leave, you don't HAVE to make a purchase when you're in a shop. What's the problem here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlushChops)
    Has anybody else felt this way when leaving a store they have had a look in but not purchased anything from? If yes, does it make you angry?

I often feel that way in Home Bargains when there are long queues at all of the checkouts and the only way out is through the checkouts, and it should be a simple case of saying "Excuse me, can I get past please, I have no items to pay for?" right? Wrong!

When the people in the queue are either highly intimidating or otherwise look at you as though you are dog poo when you ask to be let past when you have no items to pay for! :mad:
    Lol I get and sometimes it happens to me in aldi to **** em if ur not buying they can do one ur choice innit ur life I so get u though

ReputationRep:
    Just ask anyway. Otherwise you'll be waiting in the queue for no reason and look a fool at the till.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    No, you just leave, you don't HAVE to make a purchase when you're in a shop. What's the problem here?
    And potentially get grabbed at by somebody in the queue and forcibly thrown back?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I only enjoy the fact that you've tagged people in this post. Has princechromey as well run the gauntlet at Home Bargains? Can Mr T 999 offer advice on how best to pity the fools at the checkout?

ReputationRep:
    Do you really encounter people so intimidating that you can't just say 'Excuse me, please'? Sounds like you must encounter some pretty horrible people if you're actually worried that they might grab you and throw you back.

Though to be fair, I live in a pretty quiet rural area, so it's mainly friendly locals, so I'm not really best suited to understand your situation. Also, I don't really get intimidated by people no matter how much they might try hard to look threatening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Do you really encounter people so intimidating that you can't just say 'Excuse me, please'? Sounds like you must encounter some pretty horrible people if you're actually worried that they might grab you and throw you back.

Though to be fair, I live in a pretty quiet rural area, so it's mainly friendly locals, so I'm not really best suited to understand your situation. Also, I don't really get intimidated by people no matter how much they might try hard to look threatening.
    Unfortunately so. :sadnod:

Although it's improving.

ReputationRep:
    And potentially get grabbed at by somebody in the queue and forcibly thrown back?! :rolleyes:
    Then you tell them to nicely to **** off and go **** themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I only enjoy the fact that you've tagged people in this post. Has princechromey as well run the gauntlet at Home Bargains? Can Mr T 999 offer advice on how best to pity the fools at the checkout?
    Yes, I do have a Home Bargains store close to me and I do go into it. How ours is set up, there is the tills but there is also the entrance bit, and they both go through the same set of doors. So if I don't purchase anything, I can go straight out of the entrance and avoid having to go through the tills as everything is done through the same set of doors.

May not be like that for all stores though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princechromey)
    Yes, I do have a Home Bargains store close to me and I do go into it. How ours is set up, there is the tills but there is also the entrance bit, and they both go through the same set of doors. So if I don't purchase anything, I can go straight out of the entrance and avoid having to go through the tills as everything is done through the same set of doors.

May not be like that for all stores though!
    Did yours used to be a Woolworths by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, why is the only exit of that store through the checkouts? Did you come into the store through the checkouts? lmao surely not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    Wait, why is the only exit of that store through the checkouts? Did you come into the store through the checkouts? lmao surely not...
    Many Home Bargains stores have one way in, and to get to the exit you have to go through the checkouts.

ReputationRep:
    Did yours used to be a Woolworths by any chance?
    Nope, used to be Netto's instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princechromey)
    Nope, used to be Netto's instead
    My Netto is now an Asda.

umm, i just walk out the way i came in?

ReputationRep:
    No one does this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    umm, i just walk out the way i came in?
    Not easy if the store is one way in one way out, and the way out is through the checkouts.

Not easy if the store is one way in one way out, and the way out is through the checkouts.
    but its not? unless when you come into the store you walk through the tills?

ReputationRep:
    I get this all the time. People's eyes just burn into you if you walk out without buying anything. I don't know why but I feel like they think I've stolen something too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.