Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate smartphones; people obsess over them. watch

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, a part of me wants to say that you might not be interesting enough for her. Sounds like a harsh thing to say, but what was the last thing you connected over? Like actually connected.

It's definitely a **** move to ignore someone because you're on your phone- so I'll call her out on that I guess. I don't have much experience with this because 99% of my relationship depended on me having my smartphone/laptop with me (LDR) to communicate.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing is when somebody is texting when they are in the same room as all of their best friends and family members.

Who are you texting, your boss?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah I'm like 'Have you got someone more important, than me, to talk to?'

Answer's usually no.

ReputationRep:
    maybe your boring and uninteresting

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to modern society, where use of technology is prevalent and people's ability to form meaningful relationships and develop sufficient communication/social skills have gone out the window.

I'm a Computing student, and I hate technology sometimes, but it is what it is. I can't see things changing for the foreseeable future, especially with how ignorant people actually are.

My advise is to keep looking around for people who are capable of actually using their mouths to do that talking thing that us humans have been doing for a good while now.

ReputationRep:
    It could be that you've gotten to that stage in a relationship where you both have to put forth a certain amount of effort in order to keep the relationship alive. If you've neglected her in any way in the past, this could be a sign that she has lost a lot of her love for you, and so she turns to her phone.

It could just be that the internet is addictive because, well, it is. In which case, she would be in the wrong.

I do suspect it's a bit of both though, nothing that can't be solved with good communication. Ask her if there is a reason she prefers her phone over you, and if there's anything you can do to change that. At the same time, let her know how it makes you feel without personally attacking her.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yea! I only really got one because I needed to be added to WhatsApp groups for uni work etc or else I would have missed out. However, other than that I absolutely despise it and hate it when my friends or family are more attentive to their phones than me when talking.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just in relationships. David Cameron banned them from cabinet meetings- probably about the only sensible thing he did as PM.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep, this gets really annoying. If I were you, I'd sit your girlfriend down and say that her constant need to check her phone is annoying and, frankly, quite unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Smartphones combined with social media is the worst combination ever.

I hate texting, because it's long winded and an anti-social way to communicate. When I haven't spoken to a friend I call them so that we can have a normal conversation.

When I'm at work I carry a novel and a notebook to write in, so I have two things to do in between breaks and free time, that are actually of benefit to me. I would have gone back to my small Nokia 6400 (or whatever it was called) but WhatsApp and google maps and the few other apps that I use make it practical for me to keep a smartphone. Having said that, I still don't use it much, and especially not if I'm in a social environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    It's not just in relationships. David Cameron banned them from cabinet meetings- probably about the only sensible thing he did as PM.
    Workplaces should do the same thing.

omg!finally someone understands,its so annoying

ReputationRep:
    I find the people who hate technology and smart phones, are the people who don't really have anyone to talk to lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do they do? Do they all stand around staring at their phones when you meet with them?
    yeahhh. basically. and every time i find out something & i'm like hey nobody told me they're all like yeah well get on social media and you'll know.. like tf? and my sister came back from uni and i hand't seen her in ages and she was on her phone 24/7. its just so annoying

(Original post by Tootles)
    You must live in some weird place where everyone's on their phone much more often. Most people I know have smartphones which they seldom have in the room with them, such they they miss calls, don't respond to messages, and very seldom make contact in the first place. Which leads me to think that either you live in a different place, culturally, to anywhere I've ever been or known about, or else your perception of other people is skewed by your own self-superior attutide toward people who use technology.

You say you tried to make friends at uni, and waited outside rooms for people? Man, that's not what you do. People aren't there to be met at the door by some guy with a kicked-dog attitude about society, wanting to be friends.

And as far as your girlfriend goes - she's your girlfriend, and since smartphones have been a thing now for well over a decade, I'm going to assume she's had one for at least as long as you've been together/known each other. If that's the case, you have absolutely no right to comment, as you could have exercised your freedom to not bother with her in the first place. If it's not the case, she probably turned to her phone because you're obviously a self-superior snob who gets off on forcing your attention on people.

So basically, grow up and sort your life out.
    Learn to read, genius. I waited outside rooms before class. You know, like a normal person. What do you do? Barge in while there's another class in there? Sorry for wishing I could talk to other people who are also waiting.

Where have I shown a "superior attitude"? Again, learn to read. I have a smartphone myself, I've had it for 3 years. My girlfriend has had one for 1.5years - we have been together since 2006. While smartphones may have existed 10 years ago, how many people actually had one, they were ridiculously expensive. I used an alcatel brick phone until I got a smart phone.

So basically get off your high horse and learn to read before you jump in with your crap. Funny this page is 2 pages and the vast majority agree with me. Seems your the odd one out, not me.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Learn to read, genius. I waited outside rooms before class. You know, like a normal person. What do you do? Barge in while there's another class in there? Sorry for wishing I could talk to other people who are also waiting.

Where have I shown a "superior attitude"? Again, learn to read. I have a smartphone myself, I've had it for 3 years. My girlfriend has had one for 1.5years - we have been together since 2006. While smartphones may have existed 10 years ago, how many people actually had one, they were ridiculously expensive. I used an alcatel brick phone until I got a smart phone.

So basically get off your high horse and learn to read before you jump in with your crap. Funny this page is 2 pages and the vast majority agree with me. Seems your the odd one out, not me.
    Look at all these ****s I guve:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :tumble:

ReputationRep:
    Don't even have one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I use my phone a lot and I do feel that it's making me more and more anti-social.

The thing is, it's a bit strange that your girlfriend would be ignoring you though. Is this even when you're trying to make conversation with her? I think that's the problem that you should be addressing tbh. How is she when she's chilling with you outside of a restaurant?
    I disagree. I think the main use of mobile phones is to communicate with other people, and people do do this. I thought like this for quite some time. But there does come a point where you're being socially anti-social, for example, using the phone at dinner.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, when I'm out with friends I just leave my phone in my pocket.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    I disagree. I think the main use of mobile phones is to communicate with other people, and people do do this. I thought like this for quite some time. But there does come a point where you're being socially anti-social, for example, using the phone at dinner.
    I was speaking objectively about myself, there's nothing to agree or disagree here lol.

Of course the people who do that are being anti-social, but I notice that happening quite frequently tbh. At uni, this happened a lot when i went to society events and people used their phones at dinner time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.