Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate smartphones; people obsess over them. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I was speaking objectively about myself, there's nothing to agree or disagree here lol.

Of course the people who do that are being anti-social, but I notice that happening quite frequently tbh. At uni, this happened a lot when i went to society events and people used their phones at dinner time.
    oops.

Yeah there's a point at which you're just being rude by using your phone

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely refuse to use them now, when i'm expecting a call i'll just block everyone apart from a certain number, other than that it's on silent 90% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else have this problem in their relationships where people are more interested in playing with their phone than having a conversation?

I start 2 new modules at university next term which I'm worried about - I didn't make any friends last term despite my attempts. When waiting outside rooms for class, literally everyone was on their phone. I tried talking to people but it was clear they wanted to be left alone.

Even my girlfriend is often more attentive to her phone than me. We live together so I get that it can be kind of intense. However, when we go out for food she'll tinker on her phone until the food arrives, ignoring me, and will eat with 1 hand with her phone in the other.

I don't understand how to make friends when everyone is so engrossed with their phone. I feel really hurt by my girlfriend's behaviour too.
    This kind of usage of smartphones is disgusting but i'll continue to use my hone until someone talks to me. When someone talks to me it's good manners to put that phone away and engage in the conversation.
    (Original post by cbreef)
    The irony is that smartphones often make people more antisocial.
    Iz funni bc they don't maek ppl moar smart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yeah I'm like 'Have you got someone more important, than me, to talk to?'

Answer's usually no.
    Except when asking me
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    Except when asking me
    Erm...no.

(Original post by will'o'wisp)
    This kind of usage of smartphones is disgusting but i'll continue to use my hone until someone talks to me. When someone talks to me it's good manners to put that phone away and engage in the conversation.
    I think it's difficult to start speaking to someone if they're standing there staring at their phone. How do you know who will put it away and who really doesn't want to interact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Erm...no.
    I have said it for a laugh before, it's just my personality, i'm a bit of a ****
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    I have said it for a laugh before, it's just my personality, i'm a bit of a ****

ReputationRep:
    I think it's difficult to start speaking to someone if they're standing there staring at their phone. How do you know who will put it away and who really doesn't want to interact?
    Grow the balls to ask?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....HL._SX425_.jpg

This awesome thing was one of my phones back when I was school - I bought it myself with the proceeds of buying and selling things to other kids :lol:. The world has moved on a lot :yes: I have had a smart phone for 6 or 7 years now and was attached to it but care less and less as I get older. It certainly annoys me if I go to a restaurant with people and half of them sit on their phones. product of the times though, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have this problem in their relationships where people are more interested in playing with their phone than having a conversation?
    Listen to this song, it's very relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsI67bHpmk
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpgindex.jpg (9.7 KB)

ReputationRep:
    The spread of instant easy communication has come at the expense of integrity, personal depth and community. It has now never been easier for young women to become discreet skets.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.