Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. When are you starting your GCSE Revision/when is it best to start revision because I am so lost.
    2. Are flashcards and making notes worth our time (except in history&english literature)? should we just stick to reading textbooks and then going on to doing past paper questions after?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an A-level student so I thought I might try help you with some of my experience during GCSEs.

I would start revising now as it is a perfect time, 4 months before exam season leaving you time to do plenty of revision with plenty of time for relaxing and social stuff. Put your weekends and evenings to good use, and your Easter holidays are a great chance to get a push going before the exams. Do 2-3 hours a day, perhaps more on a weekend and by the time you come to study leave you won't be learning stuff, just consolidating it and calming last minute nerves.

As for revision techniques I wrote notes, sketched diagrams, suppose I liked that kind of stuff as I enjoy science and maths. English lang. and lit. are just meh as in order to write notes for them you'd need to cut down the amazon. History shortened notes and practice the essay questions. PPQS ASWELL!

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium007)
    1. When are you starting your GCSE Revision/when is it best to start revision because I am so lost.
    2. Are flashcards and making notes worth our time (except in history&english literature)? should we just stick to reading textbooks and then going on to doing past paper questions after?

Thanks in advance!
    I've already done them but I'll answer anyway

1) Honestly it depends on the person and how much they have left to do. Right now I wouldn't recommend doing ''proper'' revision, especially if you haven't finished going over the content at school yet. 2-3 hours on a weekend or once a week after school wouldn't hurt but there's no need to go full out now as there's a risk of burning out. I think starting a a week or two before Easter break is perfect. I remember when someone told me that last year and I just thought no way, I'm never going to get through everything, but I did. At the moment you may feel like you've got piles and piles of revision to do and it's going to take you ages to get through it all, but once you start you notice how much you can get done in a few hours and realise you have plenty of time

2) Again, it depends on the person. I only did notes for English lit as I found there was just too much to remember and just read the textbook/watched videos/did past papers for all my other subjects and it turned out fine, but as for some of my friends they needed to make notes or it just wouldn't stick for them. Have you had mocks yet? maybe you could try out different revision techniques and see which ones you like best.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus2016)
    Hi I am an A-level student so I thought I might try help you with some of my experience during GCSEs.

I would start revising now as it is a perfect time, 4 months before exam season leaving you time to do plenty of revision with plenty of time for relaxing and social stuff. Put your weekends and evenings to good use, and your Easter holidays are a great chance to get a push going before the exams. Do 2-3 hours a day, perhaps more on a weekend and by the time you come to study leave you won't be learning stuff, just consolidating it and calming last minute nerves.

As for revision techniques I wrote notes, sketched diagrams, suppose I liked that kind of stuff as I enjoy science and maths. English lang. and lit. are just meh as in order to write notes for them you'd need to cut down the amazon. History shortened notes and practice the essay questions. PPQS ASWELL!

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the tips, great hearing it from an A-level student! I think I'll bear what you said in mind and start doing 30 minutes of revision on about 4 subjects a day to prevent myself from burning out. definitely going to work on making good notes for English lit and history! what grades did you get at GCSE if you don't mind me asking ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etudiebee)
    I've already done them but I'll answer anyway

1) Honestly it depends on the person and how much they have left to do. Right now I wouldn't recommend doing ''proper'' revision, especially if you haven't finished going over the content at school yet. 2-3 hours on a weekend or once a week after school wouldn't hurt but there's no need to go full out now as there's a risk of burning out. I think starting a a week or two before Easter break is perfect. I remember when someone told me that last year and I just thought no way, I'm never going to get through everything, but I did. At the moment you may feel like you've got piles and piles of revision to do and it's going to take you ages to get through it all, but once you start you notice how much you can get done in a few hours and realise you have plenty of time

2) Again, it depends on the person. I only did notes for English lit as I found there was just too much to remember and just read the textbook/watched videos/did past papers for all my other subjects and it turned out fine, but as for some of my friends they needed to make notes or it just wouldn't stick for them. Have you had mocks yet? maybe you could try out different revision techniques and see which ones you like best.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the tips, I really appreciate it!!
    I've done my mocks and I didn't do too great because I felt so burnt out before hand because I did way too much revision but I think I'm going to stick to about 2.5 hours of revision a day so maybe 30 minutes on diffrent subjects a day. really want to do well so I can't be burning out in the run up of the exams. I think I'm going to keep it pretty light, nothing too intense and I'm going to find out what revision works best for me; right now I'm thinking making notes and ppq! what grades did you get at gcses if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the tips, I really appreciate it!!
    I've done my mocks and I didn't do too great because I felt so burnt out before hand because I did way too much revision but I think I'm going to stick to about 2.5 hours of revision a day so maybe 30 minutes on diffrent subjects a day. really want to do well so I can't be burning out in the run up of the exams. I think I'm going to keep it pretty light, nothing too intense and I'm going to find out what revision works best for me; right now I'm thinking making notes and ppq! what grades did you get at gcses if you don't mind me asking
    Sounds like a good idea. Try not to stress too much, you have plenty of time left I got A*A*A*AAAABBC.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the tips, great hearing it from an A-level student! I think I'll bear what you said in mind and start doing 30 minutes of revision on about 4 subjects a day to prevent myself from burning out. definitely going to work on making good notes for English lit and history! what grades did you get at GCSE if you don't mind me asking ??
    I got 6A*s and 3A's. And btw if your school offers revision classes during the study break be sure to attend them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etudiebee)
    Sounds like a good idea. Try not to stress too much, you have plenty of time left I got A*A*A*AAAABBC.
    Well done! && I'll try not to stress too much. Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus2016)
    I got 6A*s and 3A's. And btw if your school offers revision classes during the study break be sure to attend them!
    That is fantastic!! I'll ensure I attend all revision classes! thank you for the advice !

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I did my gcses last year so I thought I could help a bit! I got 4A*'s, 4A's and 1B.

1. Its only January so I wouldn't panic too much about doing too much revision, burning out is worse than doing it little and often! At this stage I would start doing light / little bits of revision every day. You can then build it up from here until exams so you ease yourself into it - i found this so much easier than jumping straight into hours and hours of revision.

2. This was always a hard one for me so you aren't alone with not knowing! I had a few different ways to revsie depending on the subject. For English and essay subjects I really likes using mind maps for each character/ theme / key event & so on. For maths I think the best way is to do past paper questions, after marking them you can see where you went wrong and then go over that topic again, and also ask your teacher if you really don't understand particular questions! For science there's sooo many thing you can do. I really liked using flash cards because they are such a good way to learn content! You can use apps for this or make physical flash cards, whatever works for you! For science a lot of people love the CGP revision guides because they put the content in more human terms! Making notes is also important for science I'd say! After you feel more confident with how much you know you can do past papers! Personally I did every single past paper I could for science, marked them and went over the topics I couldnt do!

Good luck with everything, I hope this helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.