Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rate my drawing pls :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so for context I just started watching Steven universe and I love it lol. I got really bored and have been drawing this on my phone and colouring it for an hour. I'm not very good at drawing but I'd like to improve this year Any tips? How is this bare in mind this is the first time I've drawn on my phone and I know some of its messy. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483845477.656589.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  74.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em211997)
    Okay so for context I just started watching Steven universe and I love it lol. I got really bored and have been drawing this on my phone and colouring it for an hour. I'm not very good at drawing but I'd like to improve this year Any tips? How is this bare in mind this is the first time I've drawn on my phone and I know some of its messy. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1483845477.656589.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  74.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's alright for a beginner I'd say. To make your drawings come to 'life', try practicing drawing simple shapes such as circles, squares, cubes and such. Whenever you're drawing, rather than focusing on drawing line by line try using those shapes I've mentioned as an outline. I used to draw at least 5 pages of A4 of just shapes a day, and it improved my drawings quite quickly.

The more you practice that, the more you'll be able to see your drawing seem more realistic, and appear more dynamic (especially for cartoons). This video is an example:

ReputationRep:
    It's offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    It's alright for a beginner I'd say. To make your drawings come to 'life', try practicing drawing simple shapes such as circles, squares, cubes and such. Whenever you're drawing, rather than focusing on drawing line by line try using those shapes I've mentioned as an outline. I used to draw at least 5 pages of A4 of just shapes a day, and it improved my drawings quite quickly.

The more you practice that, the more you'll be able to see your drawing seem more realistic, and appear more dynamic (especially for cartoons). This video is an example:

I don't really want to draw realistic things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    It's offensive.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try posting it in the SU tag on tumblr. Even if you're drawing cartoon you still need to learn the basics. Learning proportions and anatomy, trust me it helps.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to draw realistic things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Never said to do so, but practicing basic anatomy such as that will improve your drawings (I draw realistic, anime and also cartoons and can confirm to this from experience).

For example, take this Timmy Turner drawing. He used the exact same technique I've mentioned and every artist do it:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Never said to do so, but practicing basic anatomy such as that will improve your drawings (I draw realistic, anime and also cartoons and can confirm to this from experience).

For example, take this Timmy Turner drawing. He used the exact same technique I've mentioned and every artist do it:

Ok thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoodie Allen)
    Try posting it in the SU tag on tumblr. Even if you're drawing cartoon you still need to learn the basics. Learning proportions and anatomy, trust me it helps.
    Thank you for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty good, but I'd focus on making your drawings look less "flat". To make your art pop, practice drawing 3D objects (cubes, spheres, pyramids, etc.) and working out where the highlight and shadows fall. After that, work your way up to basic anatomy. Lots of people forget that a brain is supposed to fit inside of a head, so they don't draw the back part of the head and neck right. And eyes aren't flat, they're circular and fit into the eye socket, so they need a certain roundness to them.

I was an art tutor for a few years, so if you have any questions I'd love to help out. There's no particular style that I adhere to. I've dabbled in everything from Realistic to Manga XD.

ReputationRep:

Hi I want to rerespond because I don't think I was appreciative of the advice you gave me. Thank you for including the videos. May I ask when you started drawing I feel like I'm too old to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prazzyjazzy)
    It's pretty good, but I'd focus on making your drawings look less "flat". To make your art pop, practice drawing 3D objects (cubes, spheres, pyramids, etc.) and working out where the highlight and shadows fall. After that, work your way up to basic anatomy. Lots of people forget that a brain is supposed to fit inside of a head, so they don't draw the back part of the head and neck right. And eyes aren't flat, they're circular and fit into the eye socket, so they need a certain roundness to them.

I was an art tutor for a few years, so if you have any questions I'd love to help out. There's no particular style that I adhere to. I've dabbled in everything from Realistic to Manga XD.
    Thank you so much. I have essential tremors it doesn't really effect my drawings but I'm not so great on paper (lots of rubbed out line marks etc) just makes it look awful. How many years have you been drawing. I'm 19 and I don't know where else I can go from this age.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I have essential tremors it doesn't really effect my drawings but I'm not so great on paper (lots of rubbed out line marks etc) just makes it look awful. How many years have you been drawing. I'm 19 and I don't know where else I can go from this age.
    Started drawing when I was probably 9, but back then I was sticking only to simple cartoon characters and drawing line by line (which took me hours), until I've discovered these tutorials when I was 14 and made huge progress (I moved on to realism at that point after, and could draw very realistic pictures, and at times I drew manga). But I've stopped doing art for a good 3yrs now, and I'm reluctant to start again now that I'm in uni (but I can still draw any cartoon character quite perfectly).

You're never too old to learn how to draw/paint (I've met very amazing artists that started at the age of 20, and are now doing concept design at video game companies). Just try not to rush, take your time and also practice A LOT.

ReputationRep:
    its err.... very.... errr....

ReputationRep:
    Aw there's plenty you can do! I started drawing at 10. I don't think you could really call it drawing at that time, I had trouble with circles lol. My friends sister is an art student so she showed me the ropes, but to be fair I gave up pretty quickly. Started taking it more seriously when I was 12, and from then I developed from manga, to anime, to semi-realistic, to realistic, and now I'm trying to learn western comic book type art because I still feel like I haven't found my "style" and I've been drawing for years. It's a lot more difficult than it looks. When you draw realistically you can shade bits or add details to hide mistakes. Comic book style is all about simplifying things to the most important features, and it really stands out when you've made a mistake.

There are definitely going to be times when you get frustrated. I stopped drawing for over a year because I didn't feel like my work was unique enough. Just have patience with yourself and avoid comparing yourself to other artists.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.