Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some Universities ask for A-levels with Access Course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some people who are predicted 45 Distinctions and hold an A* for maths and English GCSE's got their application rejected from a few Universities because they don't have an A-levels maths qualification.

This doesn't make any sense as it totally destroys the entire purpose of the Acces Course.

Asking for two level 3 qualifications, is that even possible?

ReputationRep:
    I assume it is because the universities in question don't believe the access course provides adequate preparation for a maths intense degree.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherJav)
    Some people who are predicted 45 Distinctions and hold an A* for maths and English GCSE's got their application rejected from a few Universities because they don't have an A-levels maths qualification.

This doesn't make any sense as it totally destroys the entire purpose of the Acces Course.

Asking for two level 3 qualifications, is that even possible?
    As above. For some courses, universities need to be sure that applicants have the required mathematical knowledge. Why didn't the people who were rejected check the course entry requirements? If a university requires A level maths then it would say so on their website.

ReputationRep:
    I had this hurdle applying for computer science. I would probably have chosen Manchester but for their insistence on a maths A level.

I spoke with them about it and they don't feel the maths content on an access course is representative of A level maths even if it is also a level 3 qualification.

And to be honest, in some ways they're right. I've had 2 maths modules so far. Integration and matrices. Integration was done as an assignment and it was basically a free distinction for the entire class. The content would have been respectable for an exam, but doing it as an assignment just wasn't challenging.

Matrices is being done as an exam and that's a lot more brutal. Just 5 weeks of lessons and then a test under exam conditions with no notes. Unlike an A level with grade boundaries you either get it right and meet criteria or you don't so a distinction on that topic is well earned.

But even though 5 of my modules are maths, I don't feel it's going into the same depth as an A level would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    I had this hurdle applying for computer science. I would probably have chosen Manchester but for their insistence on a maths A level.

I spoke with them about it and they don't feel the maths content on an access course is representative of A level maths even if it is also a level 3 qualification.

And to be honest, in some ways they're right. I've had 2 maths modules so far. Integration and matrices. Integration was done as an assignment and it was basically a free distinction for the entire class. The content would have been respectable for an exam, but doing it as an assignment just wasn't challenging.

Matrices is being done as an exam and that's a lot more brutal. Just 5 weeks of lessons and then a test under exam conditions with no notes. Unlike an A level with grade boundaries you either get it right and meet criteria or you don't so a distinction on that topic is well earned.

But even though 5 of my modules are maths, I don't feel it's going into the same depth as an A level would.
    I think if I knew this beforehand I would have done A-levels maths together with Access Course.

First the uni's asked for Access only, then they asked for GCSE's with your Access Course now they're asking for A-levels togheter with GCSE's and Access Course, whats the whole point of doing Access.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherJav)
    I think if I knew this beforehand I would have done A-levels maths together with Access Course.

First the uni's asked for Access only, then they asked for GCSE's with your Access Course now they're asking for A-levels togheter with GCSE's and Access Course, whats the whole point of doing Access.
    You would have known this beforehand if you looked at the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Its the same with a level 4 qualification too, I did 3 modules with The Open University for the CertHE I got last year (1x60 credit, 2x30 credit), scored a 97% in my math module with over 85% on my other two.

Russell Groups, York and Leeds still wouldn't touch me due to not having A-level Math (I'm 31 if its relevant).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.