Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just want to clarify on how autopool works:

I did have three modular subjects
    Maths 99%UMS (AS)
    Politics 97% UMS (AS)
    Chinese AS 87% UMS, A2 78%, overall 82.5% (I am native though)

How would they go about calculating the UMS average
    Would they count my Chinese? Would they only do the calculation with the AS or full A level?

I heard that if you get 93%+ in your best 3 subjects you get autopooled (my subject is not maths or medicine). Does this still apply this year, and would this apply to me, if I get rejected from my college? If they only count AS Chinese, I would have 94%, but 92.83% if they count the full A-level (do they round it up?)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfang99)
    I just want to clarify on how autopool works:

I did have three modular subjects
    Maths 99%UMS (AS)
    Politics 97% UMS (AS)
    Chinese AS 87% UMS, A2 78%, overall 82.5% (I am native though)

How would they go about calculating the UMS average
    Would they count my Chinese? Would they only do the calculation with the AS or full A level?

I heard that if you get 93%+ in your best 3 subjects you get autopooled (my subject is not maths or medicine). Does this still apply this year, and would this apply to me, if I get rejected from my college? If they only count AS Chinese, I would have 94%, but 92.83% if they count the full A-level (do they round it up?)
    They don't round up, and all UMS counts.

However, a strong UMS is likely to be pooled anyway if your original college doesn't have a place.

It's better to be pooled on merit than autopooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They don't round up, and all UMS counts.

However, a strong UMS is likely to be pooled anyway if your original college doesn't have a place.

It's better to be pooled on merit than autopooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I understand. But would I be eligible for autopool (ie, do they not count my Chinese, only AS, or the full A level)??
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I understand. But would I be eligible for autopool (ie, do they not count my Chinese, only AS, or the full A level)??
    As I said, they count all UMS (i.e. AS & A2) when available. So yes Chinese is counted in full.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    As I said, they count all UMS (i.e. AS & A2) when available. So yes Chinese is counted in full.
    I would imagine if OP applied for a subject which uses SUMS, the Chinese UMS wouldn't count. They haven't specified if they've applied for a science or a humanity.
    Or at least that's how it was for me - my MFL UMS (thankfully) wasn't counted in the UMS calculation, only Maths, because I applied for a SUMS subject.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trythis)
    I would imagine if OP applied for a subject which uses SUMS, the Chinese UMS wouldn't count. They haven't specified if they've applied for a science or a humanity.
    True, but considering they have Maths, Politics and Chinese I think it's unlikely they applied for a science

ReputationRep:
    What is SUMS? I applied to do HSPS if that helps...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Science UMS = only your best 3 science subjects are used: maths, bio, chem and/or physics.

HSPS doesn't use SUMS.

ReputationRep:
    It's the science UMS for those choosing a science subject. The point is not fret too much, the decision has been made. You have a better chance of an offer if you are in the pool as a result of a positive decision. Auto pooling in no way will get you a place if other aspects of an application are considered weak

So try not to worry too much about this and best of luck.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    it's the science ums for those choosing a science subject. The point is not fret too much, the decision has been made. You have a better chance of an offer if you are in the pool as a result of a positive decision. Auto pooling in no way will get you a place if other aspects of an application are considered weak

so try not to worry too much about this and best of luck.
    yharapbtur

ReputationRep:
    So Chinese does count after all... It's my first language, yet it's what could pull me down

Could I still get a P Pool judging on my results on other subjects, or would it have to be A, B or S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Pool

Just hoping that I do get an offer on 12th...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    So Chinese does count after all... It's my first language, yet it's what could pull me down

Could I still get a P Pool judging on my results on other subjects, or would it have to be A, B or S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Pool

Just hoping that I do get an offer on 12th...
    The pool has finished. *If* you were in it you won't know until Decision Day anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.