Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11, just had mocks and now have to choose what a-level subjects to take. I'm pretty certain that I would like to do PPE at university (ideally Oxford) as I'm incredibly interested in all three subjects, even though they don't offer them for GCSE at our school.

Just for reference, these our my mock results (all IGCSE except Latin)
    English lit- A*
    English lang- A*
    Geography- A*
    Latin- A*
    Chemistry- A*
    Spanish- A*
    Physics- A
    Biology- A
    Maths-A
    German- A

Also, last year I did my short course RS IGCSE and achieved an A*.

I've been looking at the Oxford PPE statistics and I believe about 75% of the candidates they accepted had maths a level so I'm thinking that I should probably do that. The only problem is that I did ad maths for a couple months and decided to drop it as I joined a year after everyone else and thus found it quite difficult.

All in all, I'm thinking about doing: English lit, Maths, Latin & RS

The RS course is almost entirely made up of philosophy and ethics which is good for me but does anyone have any evidence that Russel Universities highly value RS?

I'd be really grateful for anyone's opinion on any of the subjects I'm thinking of taking or any advice for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhiley)
    I'm in Year 11, just had mocks and now have to choose what a-level subjects to take. I'm pretty certain that I would like to do PPE at university (ideally Oxford) as I'm incredibly interested in all three subjects, even though they don't offer them for GCSE at our school.

Just for reference, these our my mock results (all IGCSE except Latin)
    English lit- A*
    English lang- A*
    Geography- A*
    Latin- A*
    Chemistry- A*
    Spanish- A*
    Physics- A
    Biology- A
    Maths-A
    German- A

Also, last year I did my short course RS IGCSE and achieved an A*.

I've been looking at the Oxford PPE statistics and I believe about 75% of the candidates they accepted had maths a level so I'm thinking that I should probably do that. The only problem is that I did ad maths for a couple months and decided to drop it as I joined a year after everyone else and thus found it quite difficult.

All in all, I'm thinking about doing: English lit, Maths, Latin & RS

The RS course is almost entirely made up of philosophy and ethics which is good for me but does anyone have any evidence that Russel Universities highly value RS?

I'd be really grateful for anyone's opinion on any of the subjects I'm thinking of taking or any advice for me.
    English is good if you're doing a degree with lots of essay writing (which I'm guessing it will have), as is RS. A level maths is apparently incredibly difficult, one of my friends took maths and further maths, and I think only 1 person got above an E grade at AS.

That's my opinion but probably not the best, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology at A2 (didn't drop).

ReputationRep:
    If you have an option to do philosophy instead of RS, you should do philosophy. It's more highly regarded, more challenging and interesting. English Lit and Maths are good choices! Maybe History as your 4th would be better (if you really want to do a 4th)

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they don't do philosophy at our school which is so annoying and I didn't do history GCSE which again is a big mistake!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they don't do philosophy at our school which is so annoying and I didn't do history GCSE which again is a big mistake!
    You can do History at A level without GCSES. Providing you're good at English, they'll let you take it. As far as Philosophy is concerned, that's a shame because it's one of the areas you'll be studying in PPE but you'll have no class knowledge of it. The philosophy in RS is just Philosophy of Religion and a bit of Ethichs which is nothing compared to the Philosophy course - you'll need to do a lot of reading on Philosophy. Politics would be a good choice too, or economics if you're struggling to pick.

ReputationRep:
    You can take History A level without the GCSE.

If the A levels you want aren't available then consider moving to another school; many students do this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.