Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I'm sure this questions was asked around previously but I couldn't resist revisiting it again and i'm sure that i'm not the only one wondering.

I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 Engineering and predicted grades D*DD which allowed me to apply to Nottingham for Aerospace Engineering that coincidently requires just that. However, i've also applied to Coventry where the entry requirements are DDM which are somewhat lower.

My question is this , how much harder should I expect (if at all) the aerospace engineering course to be in those 2 universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akofMark)
    Heya, I'm sure this questions was asked around previously but I couldn't resist revisiting it again and i'm sure that i'm not the only one wondering.

I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 Engineering and predicted grades D*DD which allowed me to apply to Nottingham for Aerospace Engineering that coincidently requires just that. However, i've also applied to Coventry where the entry requirements are DDM which are somewhat lower.

My question is this , how much harder should I expect (if at all) the aerospace engineering course to be in those 2 universities?
    This doesn't answer your question, but I went to an open day at Coventry for a talk on forensic science, the lecturer just spoke about himself for an hour, told us it's not about science (despite being a science degree), and came in with his trousers undone and covered in stains. I know each lecturer and course is different, but I didn't get the feeling I wanted to give over £9000 a year to these people.

If entry requirements are higher, the course is likely to be harder, which in my opinion means more detailed content and therefore better.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Shan_non)
    This doesn't answer your question, but I went to an open day at Coventry for a talk on forensic science, the lecturer just spoke about himself for an hour, told us it's not about science (despite being a science degree), and came in with his trousers undone and covered in stains. I know each lecturer and course is different, but I didn't get the feeling I wanted to give over £9000 a year to these people.

If entry requirements are higher, the course is likely to be harder, which in my opinion means more detailed content and therefore better.
    Higher entry requirements do not necessarily mean that the course is harder or has more detailed content...

Oxford Law requires an AAA

Durham Law requires an A*AA

Does this mean that the Oxford Law course is easier or less detailed than the course at Durham? No of course not.

ReputationRep:
    a talk on forensic science... came in with his trousers undone and covered in stains.
    there was a scholarship riding on your naming those stains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Higher entry requirements do not necessarily mean that the course is harder or has more detailed content...

Does this mean that the Oxford Law course is easier or less detailed than the course at Durham? No of course not.
    If you had read my response, you would see that I said "in my opinion", I did not state it as a fact. The entry requirements are there so the university can make sure that the students are able to actually complete and understand the course. Hence why they wouldn't let someone with an E in say chemistry do a chemistry degree.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

jneill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    there was a scholarship riding on your naming those stains.
    Honestly it was disgusting, took me 2 minutes to decide I didn't want to go there. It's why open days are so important, Coventry was going to be 2 of my choices until then

ReputationRep:
    I would look at both programme specifications, any literature you have and your overall impression of the Unis at open days and applicant visit days. Don't assume that because one lecturer is like that, they all are. I know some really great lecturers who work with a couple of duff ones. Follow your gut instinct.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

If you had read my response, you would see that I said "in my opinion", I did not state it as a fact. The entry requirements are there so the university can make sure that the students are able to actually complete and understand the course. Hence why they wouldn't let someone with an E in say chemistry do a chemistry degree.
    Just pointing out of the possibility that lower entry requirements may not necessarily mean that the quality of the course is any less than the one with higher entry requirements.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akofMark)

(Original post by wolfmoon88)

Wolfie has it.

Entry grade requirements are really more a reflection of supply and demand for the course than the difficulty, particularly for industry accredited courses like engineering.

ReputationRep:
    -- Didn't mean to imply that Coventry is a bad place to go, was just giving my experience. Of course not all lecturers are the same.
    --Again, with the entry requirements it's just my opinion, speaking in terms of what I've seen in the courses I've looked at.

In response to the original question, just take a good look at the course outlines to see which you'd prefer. Also attend open days if they're still available, or arrange an informal visit with the university.

ReputationRep:
    -- Didn't mean to imply that Coventry is a bad place to go, was just giving my experience. Of course not all lecturers are the same.
    --Again, with the entry requirements it's just my opinion, speaking in terms of what I've seen in the courses I've looked at.

In response to the original question, just take a good look at the course outlines to see which you'd prefer. Also attend open days if they're still available, or arrange an informal visit with the university.
    Thanks for the info, I had a look at both unis for Aerospace degree and the units that they teach. To be honest both of them appeal to me judging by units. To follow up on your experience, my friend went to open day for same aerospace degree and he found it to be very nice. Which I suppose is normal considering how many variables we're dealing with here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.