Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure why my friend is like this sometimes? Watch

I have been friends with a girl for about a year,and she seemed really kind in the beginning, but in more recent months, things have come to light ,and I don't know if it's jealousy, or just the way she is.

We live further apart now but speak every day, but sometimes she can be quite cutting and harsh, though I'm not sure she realises. She has been very kind and offered me great advice, but sometimes I can be quite hurt by how she speaks.

I live in London, and I've been in a new job for a couple of months. I told her the other day how much I earned after tax, and it's not a huge amount, but it's fine for me, and she just laughed and told me that it was a really rubbish salary for London.

I recently travelled over to see her, which took me 8 hours. I only stayed for 2 nights at her place, but you'd think I'd been staying there for months the way she carried on. She told me (not even in a jokey way) to not expect her to be cooking for me, and she wouldn't do anything at all for me, I had to put my own bed together, make my own food etc. I am not lazy and I don't mind at all doing that stuff, but she didn't show the slightest bit of hospitality, considering I'd made the effort to come over, and it was only for a weekend. She never thanked me for coming or anything.

I'd not received any news from a mutual friend from a while, so I told her this, and she was like, oh, really! Well guess what, she's just sent me a message Almost as if to rub it in...
    I've bought her so many drinks and stuff in the past, but she would never buy me anything. I've also lent her money here and there when she had forgotten her cash or whatever, but she has never paid me back.

She's *****y about everyone, and talks negatively about everyone behind their back, including her own family, so i'm sure she does the same with me.

I think she's insecure and lonely in herself, she's in her 30s and she feels that she's unattractive, not much going for her etc. even though I constantly try to boost her confidence. I think she's unhappy in herself, and that's why she *****es so much. At the same time, she talks to me every day, confides things etc. and can be a good friend.. I just don't understand why she's like that with me sometimes...

She also says that she wouldn't come to see me because she 'doesn't really like London'. I could understand if I was living in a war-torn country, but London is hardly a terrible place to visit; Im sure she could stand it for 2 days. I travelled 8 hours to see her; her town isn't exactly anything special but that's not the point, the point was to see her. She's paying to go and see a mutual friend, who lives 1 hour from London, and it hurts me that she wouldn't come to see me...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.