Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have applied for Media and Communication Studies in September 2017 and have gotten conditional offers from all five universities I've applied to. I'm currently thinking about which school to put as my firm choice but I've been having some difficulties choosing between Newcastle and Loughborough.

The conditions that I'm required to meet are quite similar for both universities so that's not really something that I'm worried about. I also looked through the course modules and both seems really interesting. I didn't get the chance to visit the universities, nor do I think I will be having time to visit in the coming months, but from what I've heard so far from talking to university reps both Newcastle and Loughborough sounds like amazing places to study at.

So I was wondering if any current students studying at either of the universities or even the Media and Communication Studies course in specific, could tell me what are the differences between the two universities and what do they like about their university? It could be general overviews or more specific aspects such as the course modules or the location and the social life etc.

I've also gotten offers from Sussex, Leicester and Lancaster so if anyone who's studying there, feel free to share your opinions on your university too!

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yinchingpoon)

Media and Communication Studies
    I think that of the 5 universities you mention, Sussex is (much) the best regarded for specifically Media and Communications studies, and as well is the nicest place in which to live.

With those offers I'd already have thrown out Leicester and Loughborough and would be deciding which of Newcastle or Lancaster to pair with Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I think that of the 5 universities you mention, Sussex is (much) the best regarded for specifically Media and Communications studies, and as well is the nicest place in which to live.

With those offers I'd already have thrown out Leicester and Loughborough and would be deciding which of Newcastle or Lancaster to pair with Sussex.
    Are there any specific reasons why you wouldn't recommend Leicester and Loughborough?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any specific reasons why you wouldn't recommend Leicester and Loughborough?
    yes but they have nothing to do with either university, never mind that course as taught at either university. I only wouldn't fancy spending three years in either city.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have applied for Media and Communication Studies in September 2017 and have gotten conditional offers from all five universities I've applied to. I'm currently thinking about which school to put as my firm choice but I've been having some difficulties choosing between Newcastle and Loughborough.

The conditions that I'm required to meet are quite similar for both universities so that's not really something that I'm worried about. I also looked through the course modules and both seems really interesting. I didn't get the chance to visit the universities, nor do I think I will be having time to visit in the coming months, but from what I've heard so far from talking to university reps both Newcastle and Loughborough sounds like amazing places to study at.

So I was wondering if any current students studying at either of the universities or even the Media and Communication Studies course in specific, could tell me what are the differences between the two universities and what do they like about their university? It could be general overviews or more specific aspects such as the course modules or the location and the social life etc.

I've also gotten offers from Sussex, Leicester and Lancaster so if anyone who's studying there, feel free to share your opinions on your university too!

Thanks in advance!
    You're going to 'buy' something for about £40-45k and you're not even going to look at it? Perhaps you should make time to do so before May.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have also received offers for Media and communications from Lancaster, Leeds, Cardiff, Newcastle and Nottingham. I would say that as a university Newcastle is probably better for our course, however my cousin did engineering there and did not like it too much as a city. So in terms of student life Lancaster would be better in comparison to Newcastle, however its not too good itself either.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks in advance!
    Hi so I know this is an old post but I’m in the exact same dilemma. So which uni did u finally decide to go to? And why?

I’ve got offers from - Newcastle, Loughborough, Cardiff, Leeds and Westminster.

Now that you must be a first year, can you please tell me if you have any opinions about any university? I’m really leaning towards Newcastle or Loughborough. But I’m an international student and I’m really not sure if I’ll be able to visit the unis or not. (Yup kinda in a similar situation u were last year)

So what was your decision? Hows the course? The city? Anything you can tell me really.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Tanya1509)
    Hi so I know this is an old post but I’m in the exact same dilemma. So which uni did u finally decide to go to? And why?

I’ve got offers from - Newcastle, Loughborough, Cardiff, Leeds and Westminster.

Now that you must be a first year, can you please tell me if you have any opinions about any university? I’m really leaning towards Newcastle or Loughborough. But I’m an international student and I’m really not sure if I’ll be able to visit the unis or not. (Yup kinda in a similar situation u were last year)

So what was your decision? Hows the course? The city? Anything you can tell me really.
    Hi Tanya,

I was a student at Loughborough for four years (graduated Dec 2017) so I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I've also applied to Lboro and had a few questions about the uni )
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lemoncow)
    Hiya, I've also applied to Lboro and had a few questions about the uni )
    Hi lemoncow

Have a look on the Lboro forum here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=125 as there's quite a bit of info on there and if you can't find what you need ask away (I have just answered one of your questions on another thread btw )

Vicky

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.