Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VERY URGENT. BTECH or GCSE re-sit ?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My son didn't do too well well in his GCSEs and was pushed into doing French as one of his A'levels instead of Maths. He's going to drop out. He's doing Economics as well.

Is it better if he does :

(i) a few GCSE re-sits (Maths, Chemistry, Physics) and improves grades and gains a good foundation of GCSEs and then does A level Maths and Economics in September 2017

(ii) a BTECH in something (because I believe BTECH counts as UCAS points) + do the GCSE Maths re-sit at the same time? Then hopefully get onto a Maths A level course in September 2017.

(iii) a few GCSE re-sits + a BTECH in something + do the GCSE Maths re-sit at the same time? Then hopefully get onto a Maths A level course in September 2017.

Long term objective is university but he doesn't know what he wants to do as a career. He's just going along the education path because thats all we know. What do universties want?

Please help.

Urgent advice needed

(To the Adminstator : I think I've posted this in the best forum for this question. If there is a better forum for this post then please move it please)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormulaDontWork)

Long term objective is university but he doesn't know what he wants to do as a career. He's just going along the education path because thats all we know. What do universties want?
    )
    wow, cant he do anything he enjoys and make money from that? or do an apprentiship, you dont have to always go down the education route
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What were his GCSE grades (if you don't want to list them all, could you give his maths grade at least)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Doing GCSEs with BTEC is not worth it as there just won't be enough time. I've been through this so I understand. I suggest take a year off and do 5 gcse. Because if you does go Uni it'll be better if he had 5 solid grades. I've tried doing BTEC and maths gcse and failed because I didn't have enough time to revise so I resat at Uni but still failed bc not enough time. SO please in collage you can do a one year course doing 5 gcse. Plus you can do gcse privately so doesn't have to go collage he can be taught at home. I wish I took a year off resitting bc now I have to resist some sciences Got C in all but want to do a masters so wanna get an A for all and maths sadly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    What were his GCSE grades (if you don't want to list them all, could you give his maths grade at least)?
    Maths was B

5 B's
    1 A
    2 D's
    1 C

ReputationRep:
    Maths was B

5 B's
    1 A
    2 D's
    1 C
    They're not amazing but it's not worth doing GCSE retakes over it. It depends on how much he wants to do maths at uni. Tbh, I think the apprenticeship route is best for someone so conflicted.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maths B
    English B
    French B
    FT B
    Biology B
    Chemistry C
    History D
    There is one final resit opportunity for maths this summer on the specification he studied previously. After this, he would have to study the reformed and more difficult 9-1 specification. If he gets an A (or a 7 if he does the new spec) he would have a chance at A level but he shouldn't expect to find it easy.

ReputationRep:
    What abou BTECH? Do they give UCAS points?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What abou BTECH? Do they give UCAS points?
    The UCAS tariff points only apply to Level 3 Qualifications and so if your son for example was to do a BTEC Level 3 in whatever subject then yes he will get UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saaarah1234)
    Hi
    Doing GCSEs with BTEC is not worth it as there just won't be enough time.
    I'm not knowlegeable about BTECs so would like to know why there wasn't enough time. Is it that the BTEC courses require many hours per day at college or is the volume of work too great?

As far as I know schools do offer students re-takes of English and Maths if grades are below 'C' while they begin their A levels.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.